Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Having a MAJOR sweet craving on induction! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=97282)

mommyto3 Mon, Apr-07-03 17:27

Having a MAJOR sweet craving on induction!

This is my 3rd day back on induction after straying off a month ago to try Weight Watchers. I did terribly on that diet, even though I was faithful to the program.

Anyway, so here I am-back on induction. I am having a MAJOR, MAJOR sweet craving. I want something so back, I can't stand it. :(

Is there anything that I can do to get past this? I can't have SF jello yet, can I?

Please help me get through this!!

chocy963 Mon, Apr-07-03 17:57

Maybe a dill pickle would help? I have heard people say they can help curb a sweet craving.

I would bet if you can stick it out another day or two you will be ok.

Hang in there :)

faeriegirl Mon, Apr-07-03 18:03

In Atkins book, doesn't he say that it is ok to have sugar free jello and whipped cream? I think that even might be on his menus for induction off the atkinscenter.com website. I have had jello several times during induction - as well as whipped cream mixed with a teensy bit of cocoa and splenda. I don't know if this was the wrong thing to do - some people think you should go cold turkey altogether. But i know if i didn't have something a bit sweet to tide me over, i would have cheated. If you can wait, then you should, but if you are going to cheat, you should just eat the jello :)

Rosebud Mon, Apr-07-03 18:30

Try some L-Glutamine. Dr A suggests glutamine 500mg ½ hour before meals for cravings. It helped me enormously!

Some folk find that having a snack high in fat and protein (eg cheese, tuna & mayo) helps, too.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

achio4444 Mon, Apr-07-03 18:34

Frosty coffee

This did it for me during induction. Decaf coffee mixed with a little splenda and cream poured over ice. Sure tasted like a treat to me!

Amy :D

debmarjs Mon, Apr-07-03 20:06

I use the sugar free Jello with homemade whip cream. Helps curb a craving. Doctor Atkins says its legal to have it during induction.

alwazbuzy Mon, Apr-07-03 23:26

I have a Diet Rite soda when I crave something sweet.

You could also try something to take your mind off your craving

-go for a walk :roll:
-go on a caterpillar hunt
-call your mother (it's hard to eat when your mouth is yapping on the phone!)
-climb a tree
-have a water pistol fight
-read every post on this forum:daze:
-plant some flowers :rose: :rose: :rose:
-call your mother (she would really like that)
-bathe your cat :eek:
-take a nap :yawn:
-take a hot shower
-take a hot shower with someone you love ;)
-call your mother (did I say that already?)
-set up an aquarium
-clean the grout in your bathroom :Puke:
-get a massage
-give a massage
-make prank phone calls :lol:

Whatever you do...DON'T SIT IN FRONT OF THE TV!!!!:nono:

Heck, I made a list of fifty things I could do rather than eat sweets and stuck it on my refrigerator.

But sometimes only a Diet Rite soda will do :yum:

busygirl Tue, Apr-08-03 00:57

:wave:

Hello! I think you should eat something whenever you have a craving. I just strayed for about a week (*kicking self*) and started back on Induction Thursday -- the cravings were horrible and the headaches have been nasty. Whenever I feel either one, I just find something allowable, and eat a little bit if it isn't meal time. I am not overdoing it on the calories when I snack, but it is helping to cut the cravings and minimize the headaches quite a bit.

Some people say to avoid deli meats -- I have found that freshly sliced Angus roast beef is pretty good (hasn't stalled me in the past).

GOOD LUCK!!! I am rooting for you!

mommyto3 Tue, Apr-08-03 04:38

Thanks for you suggestions!

I satisfied my craving w/a glass of caffeine free diet dr pepper. I hadn't had anything but water (3 liters!) and just getting that w/the flavor really helped. I don't think Atkins likes aspartame, but I counted it in my grams as I had several left.

It seems to have done the trick! Oh and this morning, the scale dropped 4 lbs! I read elsewhere that some people have terrible cravings right before a whoosh! It was certainly worth the discomfort last night to see the scale this morning. :D

Thanks again!

mommyto3 Tue, Apr-08-03 04:41

Oh yeah!

and I called my mother! :angel:

Thanks!

Goat Lady Tue, Apr-08-03 05:30

WOW! Congrats on the 4 pounds lost!! You're doing GREAT! The first week is SOOO hard and it seems the temptations out there are so much bigger than they are after you get past the cravings! I'm not saying the cravings go away, but they do get easier! NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!!

Alwazbuzy- LOVED YOUR LIST! What a great idea!!!!

nix Tue, Apr-08-03 07:20

panne cota

hi,
there's some dessert on the atkins site (panne cota) that is legal-I had it the first time round on induction because the sweet cravings hit after dinner and made me crazy.
cream, water and gelatin and vanilla -

luckily the good news is the cravings went away!!

good luck!

lindbows Sun, Apr-19-15 15:20

jelly jello) is my saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3
This is my 3rd day back on induction after straying off a month ago to try Weight Watchers. I did terribly on that diet, even though I was faithful to the program.

Anyway, so here I am-back on induction. I am having a MAJOR, MAJOR sweet craving. I want something so back, I can't stand it. :(

Is there anything that I can do to get past this? I can't have SF jello yet, can I?

Please help me get through this!!

I'm on day 6 and have craved the sweet stuff. By eating sugar free jelly a couple of times a day, I've managed not to cheat. I've still lost 1lb each day. Great!

Mayflowers Mon, Apr-20-15 09:53

Dr. Atkins said if you crave sugar to eat fat. It works every time with me. So that means cheese, butter.. I believe it's because the body is used to getting its fat through something sugar laden like a donut. So it may need fat to reduce the inflammation and it sends a signal to send 'sugar' because it knows in the past you sent down fat in the form of something with sugar attached to it. So if you send down to the stomach just plain 'fat' even drink an ounce of olive oil, then the body gets it's fat and the craving goes away.

Kirsteen Mon, Apr-20-15 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Dr. Atkins said if you crave sugar to eat fat. It works every time with me. So that means cheese, butter.. I believe it's because the body is used to getting its fat through something sugar laden like a donut. So it may need fat to reduce the inflammation and it sends a signal to send 'sugar' because it knows in the past you sent down fat in the form of something with sugar attached to it. So if you send down to the stomach just plain 'fat' even drink an ounce of olive oil, then the body gets it's fat and the craving goes away.

I'm interested in this.. Which book did he say to eat fat if you crave sugar? I read DANDR and don't remember that advice at all.