Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   percentages (%) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=94212)

mom2girls Mon, Mar-24-03 06:56

percentages (%)

Ok, I know this is a silly/stupid question, but how are you guys determining percentages of fat, carbs, proteins per day? Once again, this is all new to me, and I'm a bit clueless.

TIA,
Jo
145/139.5/115

Alina Mon, Mar-24-03 07:10

Hi and welcome!

Congrats on your great start!!!!!

You will find it very easy to calculate % using www.Fitday.com food calculator. Believe me, I could not do without it. You can check out mine if you want, link below.
Don't even hesitate for a second, just ask a question if you want, this is a support forum, right? And a great one, too!
Another tips is to surf this forum for information, I did that and still do. www.atkinscenter.com contains everything you need to know.
Good luck to you, hope to hear from you again!
Alina

cardeda Mon, Mar-24-03 08:35

percentages (%)

Hi Tia,

I have been using the Fit day web site for a couple weeks and find it VERY helpful. But I too am wondering what percentages would lead to the fastest weight loss?/

I have been averaging about 70% fat, 5% carbs and 20% protein and am losing less than a pound a week. My total calories run between 1500 and 2000. I wonder if I try to cut back on calories if I will lose faster. .... Guess I am just impatient! It's hard to stay motivated when the scale doesn't move.

But the diet is easy to stick too! I can always find something to eat when I'm hungry.

good luck!

GO LC'ing. :wave:

carol

Alina Mon, Mar-24-03 08:47

Hi Carol!

just wanted to say that in my humble opinion you are doing just great! The weight loss will slow down after induction, it's both normal and healthy. Please, do not cut on the calories, your body has to be sure it's not starving, only then it can burn stored fat.
Trust the plan, keep up the good work!
Love
Alina

yvonne326 Mon, Mar-24-03 08:48

I am a slow loser and have tried all things - higher fat, lower protein, lower carbs, higher carbs...you name it.. Found that what works for a while may not continue to work.

Now my newest kick is higher protein, lower fat - no change to carbs.

I am also losing about 1/2-1 lb a week after being on a roll of 1-2 lbs a week for about a month. We'll see if this works....I'll keep ya posted.

cardeda Tue, Mar-25-03 07:29

percentages (%)

Hi Alina,

at 20 carbs a day I thought I was on induction! That's what I'm afraid of. when I try to move to OWL will I stop losing?

what percentages work for you?

carol
(cardeda)

Alina Tue, Mar-25-03 07:37

Hi Carol,

oh, I see....some people, including myself have stayed on induction a bit longer. Right now my carbs are between 20 and 30 net (minus fibre), you are welcome to check out my fitday.
This works for me and I added fresh veggies and berries after induction. I do not use any sugar free products, bars, splenda....
I drink 2-3 liters water a day.
Impossible to say what will work for you, but personally I think the trick is to always add LEGAL carbs like avocado, carrots, berries, whatever rather than take LC bars.
I would not cut on calories if I were you, just my opinion.
Any questions - just ask them!
Bless you!
Alina

cardeda Tue, Mar-25-03 10:09

percentages (%)

Yvonne & Alina,

thanks for your input. We all need to figure out what works for us. It seems to be different for everyone. for instance, I can't eat those Advantage bars. . :thdown: . I don't lose when I eat those. I have better luck with an Advantage shake everyother day. :thup:

This week I am adding the Flax-o-meal hot cereal to my plan. :idea: I'll let you know how it goes. . . after that...berries!! :D Yum! I think I miss the fruit more than anything else.

Happy LC'ing! :spin:
carol