Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   recipe substitution (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=93615)

rdeb Thu, Mar-20-03 14:59

recipe substitution

hi, it's been a while since i've written. hope everyone is doing well in these trying times. anywho, i have a very good "regular" recipe for cheese cake. all of the ingredients are fine for lcing except the sugar.(heavy cream,eggs, cream cheese).can i substitute splenda and hope it will tast e the same?and, is it used in the same proportions? has any one else done this with a recipe of theirs? thank for any and all responses :)

RGale Thu, Mar-20-03 15:02

Yes, you can use Splenda successfully. The proportions depend on whether you're using the packets or the granular -- the latter measures cup for cup like sugar. The packets are the equivalent of two teaspoons of sugar, so it would be 24 packets per cup. (24 packets = 48 tsp. 48/3 = 16 T = 1 cup)

--Ruth

AmyTN Thu, Mar-20-03 15:02

Splenda works fine in baking, cooking, etc... You don't even have to adjust the amounts just sub the splenda (powdered form) in the exact amount you'd use of sugar. The liquid Splenda's a different story & is much sweeter, so you'd have to figure out the adjustment to taste.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne

RGale Thu, Mar-20-03 15:04

Where are you finding liquid Splenda??? I want some!

--Ruth

BarbCA Thu, Mar-20-03 15:05

I did it just this week. Still have 1/2 the cake left. I used my regular recipe but used crushed macadamias for the crust and Splenda for sweetening. It calls for 1/2 cup sugar in the cheesecake and 1/4 cup in the sour cream topping. I used 1/3 cup Splenda in the cake and 2 teaspoons in the topping because I find Splenda makes things taste too sweet. It turned out quite well and I just had a pice for dessert. One day I sliced some strawberries over it.
I found it didn't take quite as long to bake as usual so watch it closely. I hope yours turns out as well as mine.

vbrowne Thu, Mar-20-03 15:19

check out the bourbon ice cream cheese cake in the recipes section as well.

Vikki

lkonzelman Thu, Mar-20-03 15:27

I don't like the fake sweenter tastes.

I always make the philly cream cheese cheesecake recipe and use 3/4 of the amount of sugar.

Then to further alter the phoney taste I add either 1 TBS of hershey's SF cocoa for a cocoa cheesecake or last time 3/4 cup of pumpkin for pumpkin cheesecake.

Both worked out well and it is a really easy recipe.

FYI - for a crust- some crushed nuts (I have used pecans) w/ softened butter and a bit of splenda and press to bottom of the pie tin.

chysmith Thu, Mar-20-03 19:22

Quote:
Originally posted by RGale
Where are you finding liquid Splenda??? I want some!

Ruth, we buy it at Pilgrims. There's one in Everett Mall, and I'm sure there are others in the Seattle area.

IslandGirl Fri, Mar-21-03 06:19

Is that Splenda BRAND sweetener with water as a filler OR is it a syrup-type with a different brand name using Splenda BRAND sucralose AS a sweetener?

As far as I know, Liquid Splenda (brand name) is not available anywhere in North America, so this would be really significant if it is Splenda brand.

paradise Sun, Apr-27-03 15:03

Yes, I agree with IslandGirl. As far as I know it, liquid Splenda is only available in North America for commercial use. Correct me if I'm wrong.