Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   [SB] Adkins to sugarbusters (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=93390)

cluelessin Wed, Mar-19-03 12:22

Adkins to sugarbusters

I have been doing the adkins diet for 6 months (this is my second time and i knew it was going to be more difficult) and have lost aprox. 20 pounds, and have to fight it daily with almost no carbs in my diet.............I can't believe that this is very healthy and mentally it's killing me.
I have decided to go to the sugarbusters diet..........has anyone made the switch and if so how can i do the switch without putting back on the 20 pounds that i have worked so hard to take off..
PLEASE HELP.............THANK YOU

Monet Wed, Mar-19-03 15:25

I switched from Atkins to SB over a year ago. I know many who have. Just get the SB book, and read it before you jump in. Keep your starchy carbs at about two to three a day, and mind the avoid list, and you should do fine. I have one friend on another board who did Protein Power for a long time, lost about 80 pounds, and stalled for months. She started on SB two weeks ago, and lost four pounds this week! It does work! Read labels, and familiarize yourself with low GI choices, and you will keep that 20 off, and lose whatever else you want to lose...

Good luck!

Tappy Wed, Apr-09-03 07:42

I also have been doing Atkins for about a year losing and gaining the same couple of pounds. I ordered the s/b book and should be getting it in a couple of days. From all the testimonials on this forum I am anxious to start. I am 59 years old and needless to say I lose weight very slowly. I am looking forward to adding a little carbs to my menu with the hope that it will enable me to follow this plan more easily.

tbagram Thu, Apr-10-03 16:43

I've made the switch from Atkins to SB,too.

I started out the second week in Jan. and have lost 7 pounds, and this is April. My Doc gave me a diet to follow that used exchanges like diabetics use and so Im using that (1500 to 1800 cal a day) but using the SB guide lines. No sugar or white flour. The exchanges break down the starches, meats, milk, fats, veggie and fruits. I'm just watching the GI of the foods. This is my second day and so far I am sure I have made the right choice. The reason I went to the Doc's was that I have been having heart palpitations and shes going to put me on an event heart monitor for a month. I still havent gotten word on my bloodwork. Now Im intersested in getting some good recipes. Tonight I had a taco salad for dinner. I had a hamburger on an Ezekel bun for lunch and Ezekel toast with almond butter for breakfast. I also had an orange for a snack. I bought some Breyers no sugar ice cream for a snack tonight. Last night I had plain yogurt with bludberries and splenda. :wave: Vonnie

LovableLC Sat, Apr-12-03 22:09

I've pretty much switched in the fact that I attempt to keep my carbs around 20 but don't obsess if I go over, every now and then allow myself some wheat bread, eat two packs of oatmeal a week, and otherwise pretty much try to follow atkins. I found this easy for me and I think it's a good idea to limit (maybe not as strict as atkins) carbs in some way. For some people I think they lose slower on sugarbusters due to too much carbs even if it's whole grain. But maybe you want to try it now limiting first and see your results then limit and see what happens. Good luck.

shirls Sun, Apr-13-03 16:57

Is the Sugarbusters diet very similar to the New Glucose Revolution?

Qball Sat, May-31-03 21:44

I'm actually on what I consider the "intersection" of SB, Atkins, & the Zone. I get many more carbs than the Atkins folks(usually around 100g/day), but they're all low GI. And I always consume my carbs in the context of fat and protein. I like the variety and this diets seems to help my work-outs. I'm neither afraid of low GI carbs nor natural fats. I really don't calculate macro-nutrient ratios, but I made a log for about a week a few months ago and they're about a 20-30-50(carbs-protein-fat)ratio. I eat chicken with the skin and beef with-out the fat trimmed. I listen to my body. If I eat a certain way and I get a sugar rush I know and understand what happened. I modify as a countermeasure. I've been on CC (controlled carb) for over a year and can eat instinctively. The difficult thing about an eating plan is it's totally individual. Many will tell of their "successes", but they're a different person. For whatever reasons (lifestyle, activity, background, and genetics) we all have different needs. Your body will tell you what it needs if you know how to listen. I for one didn't like the induction phase of Atkins. I felt fine, but I couldn't get a good "weight training" workout. I also couldn't follow a good running plan. I then upped my carbs to about 100g/day (all low GI) and really took off. I also take issue with those who think "saturated fat" is somehow "bad". I've never seen a study that showed exclusively through careful control of variables that saturated fat was anything but beneficial (correct me if I'm wrong).

I had blood work done several months ago and as the doctor wrote it was "excellent":
Total Cholesterol=199,
HDL=69
LDL=111
Trygliserides(sp?)=76
Hba1c=3.4%

I think I've found my grove. I sincerely hope everyone here finds his/hers!