Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   sleeping supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=91960)

Piano Wed, Mar-12-03 11:01

sleeping supplements

Anybody try any of the supplements recommended for sleeping in the SP books(s)? I realize I haven't been sleeping well. I'm especially interested in the 5HTP. Sounded interesting.

Piano Wed, Mar-19-03 12:34

Okay! So does anyone have any suggestions for helping with sleep?

fitmom23 Wed, Mar-19-03 16:56

I have been using the calcium/magnesium combo she advises for 6 weeks but haven't been able to sleep through the night yet. My girlfriend tried the combo and was able to sleep good right away. I have suffered with insomnia for years though, so maybe I just have to suffer a little longer. I have also ben using the St. John's Wort and the Strees B during the day with my multi and 5-HTP at night with the cal/mag combo. My PMS isn't killing me as usual, my mood is more stable, could be that this is where I am seeing improvement.

tbagram Thu, Mar-20-03 16:48

Calcium/magnisium/zinc tabs and stress B vit help me. Vonnie

Piano Fri, Mar-21-03 12:24

Thanks. I was especially wondering about the 5-HTP. I couldn't find it anywhere and I would like to try it for mood as well as sleeping at night. I take the calcium and magnesium in my multiple vitamin so I will have to try it separately at night.

SpecialK Wed, Apr-16-03 20:03

5-htp

Hi- I have used the 5-htp. It was recommended by analyst to help me sleep. I'm very light sleeper and when awakened during the night I'm up for quite a while. I was told I would fall asleep faster, sleep sounder, and wake up very energetic. I used the product for about 2 weeks every night (war told the effects would be immediate, 1st use) I was not impressed. None of the above happened. I have since given up taking the supplement. I have about 3/4 of the bottle left and it was quite pricey. What I have gotten results with is coral calcium. The best coral calcium will have higher doses of magnesium (double digets). I really like this stuff and the sleep thing is just a bonus. I started taking for other reasons. What I have discovered over the years tho is that what works for you will not necessarily work for me and vise versa. It's a matter of hit and miss to find what is right for you. I have a whole cupboard fulll of misses to attest to that (haha). Happy hunting, hope you find what works for you.

wcollier Sun, Apr-27-03 18:25

I have/had fibromylgia so I find magnesium really helpful for getting a good night's sleep.

But the dosage is important. At first I was taking too little and it didn't help. Then I slowly increased to about 700 mg/day, taken before bedtime. If you take too much, you'll get diarrhea, so it's self-limiting in that respect. But be careful, a "more is better" philosophy can be deadly.

Piano Mon, Apr-28-03 13:57

Okay, in my quest to get sleep. I have tried the calcium/magnesium combo and it did not work. (But I probably need the extra anyway) I will have to try the coral calcium or up my magnesium. I tried the 5-HTP and that gave me a headache, it may have just been a coincidence though. Finally, I used some prescription med's my mom gave me for 4 nights in a row just to break the cycle and then I will try to maintain using the calcium/mag and 5-HTP combination.

Wanda, I'll bet that this way of eating will help your fibromyalgia. My mother has that and I am trying to get her to eat this way too. Have you been exercising lightly, I think that will help too. Keep us posted on how you are healing. Are you insulin sensitive with burned out adrenal glands?

Piano