Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Icky Shakes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=91143)

busygirl Fri, Mar-07-03 19:12

Icky Shakes

I got the chocolate Atkins shakes yesterday, and took off ALL the labels so they wouldn't draw attention if I decided to take one to school for breakfast, etc. Then after one was chilled I decided to drink it.....

:nono: I SHOULD HAVE TRIED THEM BEFORE REMOVING THE LABELS!

I have a pretty weak stomach and the smell was absolutely nauseating. I tried to choke one down, but it reminded me of canned milk mixed with wet dog food. :Puke: So I put my glass far from smell range, and my CAT came in an drank like an inch of the stuff.

So, now I am out $10!!! and I can't even return the things.

I could kick myself for being so hasty and removing the labels. Any ideas for what I can do with the other 3 cans??? I feel like I just tore up a $10 bill. :tears:

AmyTN Fri, Mar-07-03 19:27

You could try mixing it with heavy cream and whipping it for a more palatable flavored dessert.

1busymomma Fri, Mar-07-03 19:36

Is it just the smell or the taste or both??? I've found that putting some splenda in the helps to make them sweeter like a milk shake.

red1cutie Fri, Mar-07-03 20:16

Hi All!

Hey busy, sorry about the waste of money but alot of people in this forum have said that the Atkins shakes and bars cause their weight to stall, so maybe it is a good thing that you hate them. I have not tried them because they can cause stalls.

red

BarbCA Sat, Mar-08-03 06:28

Thanks for letting us know about the problem. I almost bought some yesterday and then decided I didn't want to spend that much. May try one someday to see but it doesn't seem to be something that I'd like.

Frederick Sat, Mar-08-03 06:39

Hi Busygirl,

I agree with you. I've tried many pseudo type shakes in my life, and I never liked any of them. That even includes Jamba juice (I think plain orange juice is so much better) type smoothies, which everyone around here except for me seems to love.

The only shake I've ever really liked are the ones made with real full flavored quality ice cream and full fat milk. Everything else just pales in comparison.

mntnear Sat, Mar-08-03 08:07

Hmmm, I love the shakes ...

My wife even stole one and enjoyed it ... mmmm...

I've been using Carb Solution Bars and Atkins Shakes as quik snacks during the day, if they've stalled me at all it's probably a good thing since I've lost 23 lbs in three weeks.

I do walk (treadmill) 50 minutes a day which at my weight burns about 600 calories and every other day add 24 minutes of recumbent bike so the exercise probably is the kicker ...

I have been working out since the first of the year but lo calorie didn't work for me ... so I started Atkins the middle of February and immediately started losing ... cool ...

I especially enjoy pan fried (any seafood, cod/scallops/shrimp) with butter or olive oil and my Spice Islands spicy chicken seasoning ...

I digress, ... I found the shakes at Brooks pharmacy for 7.99 and thought I'd try them ... now I'm hooked ... when I went on line to look at prices I was surprised to see they cost more ...

I guess YMMV with these shakes ...

Larry

Teuthis Sat, Mar-08-03 09:27

Caveat Emptor

Live and learn. :)

I think all of that contrived, artifical junk is worthless. You could probably make something yourself that tastes pretty good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Take a lesson. Eat naturally and experiment with foods that you can prepare and take with you.

Good Luck!

Lessara Sat, Mar-08-03 09:57

Strawberry Shakes

I think Atkins Strawberry shakes are very good, and made even better with alittle cream. I find shakes or bars, as long as you only have one, don't stall you but only if you drink all your water. I find these terrific for me since I am allergic to eggs and cheese and am just not a meat person in the morning. Its a relief to finally find something at is nutricious (No more or less than total corn flakes) and that I can tolerate.

Arrow Sat, Mar-08-03 10:54

Oh, for a smoothie . . .

Hi all,

Have never tried an Atkins shake, candy bar (or super nutrition bar, whatever you call 'em) or anything like that.

But, unlike Frederick, before I started Atkins I used to love home made smoothies.

Here was my idea of a good and very quick LOW FAT breakfast: Toss a bannana or some strawberries, a dollup of NON-FAT yogurt, a heaping spoonful of protein powder (the kind loaded with vitamins, minerals and all the amino acids) and some orange juice into a blender. Buzz. Drink. Out the door with a LOW FAT breakfast under my belt. (And threatening to sag way over my belt.)

Some days I mentally toy with the idea of trying to duplicate it like this: Some strawberries, a dollup of real full-fat yogurt, the protein powder and a can of Diet-Rite red raspberry. Wonder, would this be drinkable? It sure wouldn't conribute much to the fats Atkins requires. Maybe add some heavy cream?

Technically, I'm past induction, being in the fourth week, but I have never strayed more than a few carbs beyond. And all this week my scale has flat-lined and sneers at me, so I'm walking tippy-toe to be very careful.

But I sure would like a smoothie for breakfast.

RGale Sat, Mar-08-03 11:32

Arrow,

I think I'd substitute some Raspberry Zinger tea, or even an extra dollop of yogurt and a little water for the Diet Rite, and add some Splenda or DaVinci syrup. I have a feeling that if you tried to make a smoothie with diet soda you'd get something resembling Mt. St. Helens, followed by a very flat, thin residue. And you'd be cleaning the kitchen all morning.

--Ruth

busygirl Sat, Mar-08-03 13:51

So many different opinions!

Well, it's nice to see what people do and don't like! I have to say that I love Jamba Juice -- is that something we can have later on down the road, on OWL or maintenance?

Yes, I learned a good lesson!! I have to agree that I can spend $10 and make a few meals that I really enjoy -- it's worth a few minutes of extra time. I will never be in enough of a hurry to choke one of those shakes down!!!!!!!! Plus, A STALL???? I don't want that!

Since I mostly drink water (have all my life) with rare exceptions, I'm also finding that I don't enjoy the aspartame-free sodas -- they are too sweet. I took a sip of one and it left a bad aftertaste.

SiriusT Sat, Mar-08-03 18:00

Hven't tried the shakes, don't intend to but,

I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to Larry.
:cheer:

Great job. Stick with it!
Amy

Calmeida2 Sat, Mar-08-03 21:34

People are different, I LOVE the shakes!

First, let me tell you I alsoLOVEd the little pukey guy! Where did you get that!

If you lived in NYC I'd buy the shakes from you.

I do appreciate the info regarding stalls though, I have not lost much and perhaps the shakes have something to do with it.

However,the good thing about them for me is that I often have long days at school and have one either on my way home or between a class. No more than one a day about 3x a week...

What about coffee? Have you guys completely given up coffee? :p

Claudia

paty Sat, Mar-08-03 21:38

Maybe try to sell them on ebay?

I'm glad you wrote this post. I was at the supermarket only about an hour ago w/ a chocolate Atkins shake in hand trying to decide whether or not to buy it. I decided against it. How funny!

Paty