Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Stall realated to periods? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=90867)

slack32 Thu, Mar-06-03 13:18

Stall realated to periods?

I posted this same question on the newbie question forum, and got nowhere. I am about due for my period, and I have not dropped any weight for a few days. My ketosticks are as purple as ever, and I have been following induction- I'm into my thrid week. I was wondering if stalls are a common PMS type thing. Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks!

lkonzelman Thu, Mar-06-03 13:22

Most people retain water around those times. I gain about 3-6 lbs monthly which goes (sometimes) with more after it is over.

Plus - you need to realize that this losing everyday does taper off. You need ot have realistic weightloss expectations so that you can handle this.

Most people can expect to lose 10% of the amount of weight they wish to lose during induction and the 5% of the remaining weight to lose each month after.

This isn't a fast weightloss diet - this is a healthy way to eat satisfyingly for the rest of your life while you slowly get to your goal weight.

All the best.

slack32 Thu, Mar-06-03 13:29

Thanks! I was beginning to worry that maybe I was at fault, you know? But I have really been focused and working hard. So, seeing no change at all was just daunting. I'll keep on the way that I am. I love all of the energy, and how I feel!

Thanks again

Natrushka Thu, Mar-06-03 13:32

Re: Stall realated to periods?

Quote:
Originally posted by slack32
I was wondering if stalls are a common PMS type thing.
Typically stalls are talked about in weeks and months, not days (As in you stall for weeks after you've been LCing for months).

And yes, they do tend to happen to everyone, eventually. As Lisa said, it's a WOL and it's a journey, not a race. The stalls aren't always a bad thing - they give you the time your body needs to adjust to the changes it is going through.

Nat

digwig Mon, Mar-10-03 18:36

Slack32,

Periods are DEFINITELY a factor in scale bouncing. I always lose tons of water either right before or right after my period and usually hit my lowest weight of the month during that time.

Another factor is that you are in the third week of your plan. It's extremely common to hit a small plateau during the third week of low-carbing, possibly because of the dramatic changes in the previous two weeks. Laura Richard's discusses it in her book, "The Secret to Low Carb Success."

Having reasonable weight loss expectations is a big key to being able to stick with this plan. It may take time, but you will get there if you stick w/the program. I've been "stuck" on the scale tons of times in the last year, but this way of eating is so healthy and satisfying, I had no option but to stick with it. 70 pounds later, my goal's in sight and I'm VERY happy, I never let a slow scale throw me off plan (well, almost never :) )

Good luck, Dig

P.S. Don't forget the scale can't tell you how fat you are (something I ranted on in my journal about, today).

iBelieve Mon, Mar-10-03 19:34

Ditto. I always gain a few pounds in the week or two right before my period. But within a few days of starting, they leave, and usually take a few friends with them! :D

P.S. Dig, love your avatar! :)