Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   yellow onions? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=89954)

m0bster Sun, Mar-02-03 11:44

yellow onions?

What is it about yellow onions that is bad on this WOE? Are they bad or just more carbs in those? I have a bag of them and do not want to waste them. I only use about half of one when I cook fish, or sautee them with steak. The ones I have are small, so I want to make sure these are not what is stalling me.

spellbound Sun, Mar-02-03 12:05

Yellow onions are higher on the glycemic index. They have more natural sugars in them. SO there is more carbs in them. I love them too. It is possible that they could stall you if you eat too many and don't count the carbs in them.

:roll:

m0bster Sun, Mar-02-03 12:33

I just bought some chives today, so I think I will use them in my fish from now on. Little grren onions, can't be beat!

KoKo Sun, Mar-02-03 12:49

Hi Mobster
Yellow Onions, about 7 carbs for a cup chopped. The Green ones, not chives have less and still give a nice oniony taste to things. I guess chives would have even less than the green ones (spring onions). FitDay seems to be down at the moment so I can't pop over to check.

I just peeled 12 onions, I wuz crying a lot.

:wave:

m0bster Sun, Mar-02-03 12:59

I THINK I bought chives. I bought a group of green onion stems that got lighter towards the bottom...is that chives? Or are they just green onions? It is the kind that you get in soup in Japanes restaurants. you cut them and they look like little o's.

Lisa N Sun, Mar-02-03 13:07

Those are green onions. Chives are an herb that can be grown in a pot on your windowsill and look a lot like grass, but taste and smell like onions.
To avoid waste, I buy onions pre-diced and frozen so when I need some, I just reach in the freezer and grab a handful or two (no tears, either ;) ). I can get a big bag of frozen diced onions at a local meat market for about $2.50, but I also know that Ore-Ida puts out smaller bags. Look for them in the freezer section.

KoKo Sun, Mar-02-03 13:16

Oh Lisa!!!

I didn't know I could buy them chopped!!! Usually my husband peels them for me and I chop them in the processor. I find the onions have been really strong this year. Was wondering if the drought has anything to do with that, like concentrating the juices kind of thing.

Chopped and frozen now thats a great idea.

:wave:

janny Sun, Mar-02-03 13:39

Having been raised on a farm in Pennsylvania -drought does cause onions to be stronger. Too much moisture and the ole onions either rot or the creepy crawlers get to them.
jan

Jaden Sun, Mar-02-03 15:57

I love onions too. I used to put them in everrrryyyytthing.

Ive changed to the green onions and they do a pretty good job in salads and stuff and dont give you as bad breath !! :)

I still do eat yellow onions occassionally, I just cut way down on how much I use in recipes and use them only when green onions just wont do. (like taco salad green onions get all soggy. ick)

they havnt stalled me and I count the carbs and eat less in other places.

I did wait till after induction to do that though.

jadenlea