Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   My foot doctor and Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=89025)

EmyAmber Tue, Feb-25-03 19:33

My foot doctor and Atkins

Today I went to a new foot doctor, as I'm diabetic and am having some problems with one foot particularly. He seems to be really good.

Anyway, after he'd looked at my foot and explained what was going on etc, he sort of rolled back in his chair and started to talk about 'diet'. I was thinking, "Oh boy, here comes the 'Food Pyramid' lecture.

What a shock! He said he'd been to Weight Watchers and that didn't work, and now he was doing ATKINS!!!! I realized he was actually RECOMMENDING Atkins to his patients!

I told him I was on it too. He's not really overweight (in my way of looking at things), but he said he'd lost 15 pounds and had a few more to go, also that he too was diabetic, and didn't have to take diabetic meds anymore.

Well, it sure was a relief to hear all this, plus he encouraged me to confront my regular doctor about the benifits of Low Carbing...

Amazing..... :daze:

From Emy

Netters Wed, Feb-26-03 10:47

Two drumsticks up for your podiatrist! My MD recommended Adkins to me, too. I gotta remember to thank him ...

Why did he recommend a confrontation with your regular MD? Are you getting razzed at your checkups?

Have a stable blood sugar day!

=D

AZSunshine Wed, Feb-26-03 18:45

That is so great. I am seeing a new MD who specializes in Fibromyalgia, CFS, Yeast issues, Weight, etc. and he is very pleased that I am doing the Atkins. He was also extremely pleased that I was on the Atkins supplements and he even added a few to target my issues. I do indeed have a meal's worth of supplements any more. But, I feel so much better.

I have a yeast infection that I have been on meds four times for in January/February and it keeps coming back. This is one of the things that this doctor is working with me on because we believe it is an underlying cause to many of my issues. I am so excited because I think that with Atkins, the right supplements, and a decent doctor I might actually get my life back. It will be the first time in 4 decades that I have felt decent enough to think about doing things if that does indeed happen. What a concept.

We just have to keep showing the doctors how well we are doing and convert them.

achio4444 Wed, Feb-26-03 19:10

Tomorrow...

I have an apt tomorrow with my OB/GYN and I know I am a bit lighter than last year. If they mention my weight and what I am doing, I have been debating how honest I want to be. On the one hand, it would be wonderful to have someone who is supportive and that I can turn to if I need some support. On the other, I don't feel like listening to a lecture! Knowing me, though, I will tell the truth and just skip out of there if they lecture, knowing at my next annual, I will be at my goal! :D

Glad to hear so many people's docs are on board! All praise Atkins!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amy

windy Wed, Feb-26-03 19:26

My family doctor is ok with Dr. Atkins also. I had really good test results and will redo again in 6 months. Doc are getting smart, isn't it really grand.

Windy