Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The Diet that just makes sense (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=88686)

jplush76 Mon, Feb-24-03 13:11

The Diet that just makes sense

I think the atkins diet has gotten a bad stereotype. When I tell people I'm on atkins they always say "ohh only meat and cheese for you"

I usually explain to them that I can have pretty much anything thats healthy and natural.

When you think about it, how can this diet not work? Everything you're eating is for the most part fresh from nature. Meat, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Fruits, Dairy.

After I explain it that way it seems they all wanna go on it :)

Frederick Mon, Feb-24-03 13:17

Hi there,

I couldn't agree with you more on this issue. My doctor is flabbergasted that I've decided to give the low carb approach a try. The irony is that my doctor is in UCSF, the same institution as Dr. Ornish. LOL That cracks me up everytime I think about it.

I've always disliked vegetables of all kinds. Now, on this diet, I've eaten more veggies than I ever have in my entire life. If anything, my eating regimen is infinitely more balanced now than it was before switching to this eating philosophy. Before, I was eating mostly simple carbs, now at least, I'm eating all complex carbs. Thats gotta be good, even to the low fat/high carb camp.

jplush76 Mon, Feb-24-03 13:50

I'm with you on the veggies, I'm eating more now than I ever have. Nuts, berries all good stuff I'm eating now.

I just wish I had enough money to hire someone to prepare all my meals :) it takes a lot longer to get meals ready, for me anway.

lkonzelman Mon, Feb-24-03 13:55

Having real dressing has made me fall in love with salads! I hated them on every other diet w/ the low fat dressings.

And even brussel sprouts are awesome w/ butter dripping.

jplush76 Mon, Feb-24-03 13:56

I was just in downingtown this xmas, my mom lives there :)

30 East Represent! lol

chysmith Mon, Feb-24-03 14:06

Maybe I'll have to give brussel sprouts a try then. Scott loves them and I could never stand them. Then again, I didn't like many veggies except corn and carrots! Salad was always a chore but I ate it b/c I knew it was good for me but I had to have croutons on it and it was only about a cup a day. Now I'm eating salads as a meal with some chicken! Love it! I think that my taste buds are no longer used to all those sweet flavors and I'm actually tasting things for real.

-Cait

moonpie Mon, Feb-24-03 14:37

It's so funny that the folks who critisized the Atkins plan are the ones who are silent when other co-workers compliment me and encourage me on my weight loss. At a loss for words?? Actions speak louder then words. My body is proof. Hair shining my skin is in better shape and my nails are longer and stronger.
Jules :roll:

UAGirl Mon, Feb-24-03 14:48

Hiya Jim :)

Have you gotten a chance to read this?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76910

chysmith Mon, Feb-24-03 16:11

I just read that thread! thanks for putting in the link.

-Cait

Crimson Mon, Feb-24-03 17:50

I went in for my physio appointment last week and was asked what shampoo I use! My therapist commented on how beautiful and shiney my hair was!! I was shocked into silence! I honestly hadn't realized how much my hair had improved. Wow! I started this for health reasons (high cholesterol) and to slim down... but I never anticipated that there'd be more to it. I doubt low fat diets can even come close to matching the extra benefits in low-carbing. I wish I could convince my b-friend though... he's still a sceptic. :daze:

jessea Mon, Feb-24-03 19:23

There are people who still look at me like I have three heads when I tell them I am on Atkins. I can't tell you how many times I have heard"Oh, people on Atkins lose weight, but it always comes back because no one can stick on that plan very long." I get so aggravated!! People are also always trying to tell me how unhealthy it is!!! The way I used to eat was unhealthy, but no one said anything to me then.

It doesn't help with all the ads for junk food, either. The Sunny Delite commercial especially gets me riled. "The good stuff kids go for" its 5% juice!!! Are people really believing this stuff? I can't take it anymore! Every other commercial is for Jenny Craig, with this woman saying "I ate chocolate cake everyday, and still lost weight". Right. This madness has got to stop. Alright, all you fellow low carbers, let's take over!!!

Boy, that felt good to get that out, thanks for letting me vent! I think I will go eat some celery, and calm down.

:daze:

-Jess (feverish from sinus infection, but still a rabble rouser)

1busymomma Mon, Feb-24-03 20:20

my sister was like well just be prepared to put on 15 extra when you stop, and I was like *stop?*

My doctor is the one who put me on this plan full bore. I had started cutting back on carbs and sugars and reading dr. atkins site and when I went in for my physical I told her I was bummed from so much weight gain from my divorce (emotional eater here)
and she told me that I should do Atkins from now on. :daze: Talk about shutting me up! I thought I was gonna have to argue with her. LOL.

I'm still trying to convince my sister to give it a whirl. Apparently she did do a low carb plan for about a week and gave up!!! I think it was lack of knowledge, recipes for variety, and a cheerleading squad.

red1cutie Mon, Feb-24-03 21:32

Some of my friends said I was no fun because I told them that I needed to give this a chance and to get my self control so I could not go to clubs until I felt like I could go and be strong. Even though I told them I could not have alcohol they were saying "You can just drink wine, it's lower in calories." :mad:

I was with one of my friends today and he said "You don't look like you have lost any weight." I said "Duh!!! I just started on Wednesday." :mad: (I did not tell him I lost 3 lbs so far because he would probably not think that was anything worth talking about).

red

1busymomma Mon, Feb-24-03 21:37

oh gee Red, that was sooo sweet of him. :rolleyes:

red1cutie Mon, Feb-24-03 21:38

I know what a guy!!! :rolleyes:

red