Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   For all who get anxiety over excersize (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=88320)

showpuli Sat, Feb-22-03 13:40

For all who get anxiety over excersize

hi

I just wanted to share and experience I had this month. Its geared to all of you that are afraid to enter a gym for fear of everyone looking at you and "laughing" (that's what we believe will happen right)

Anyway I recently signed up for a Hip Hop dance class at my daughter's dance academy. It had been a goal of mine to dance like Britney Spears (never)... so I figured I'd try this.

Well first of all I was the fattest person in the class. My stomach was in knots. Everyone could touch thier toes, not me. The sit ups... I barely survived, while the other women were pumping like it aint no thing... then we got to the dancing..

well imagine a rhyno "shaking its bootie" and you have an image of me. I was the dorkiest dork in there. I was frustrated and wanted to cry.. but I told myself I will not quit.

Sooo... I kept truddging to this hip hop class, made lots of friends, and found out that none of the women were critisizing me... in fact they said that they were too busy feeling like they were the top dorks too.

Now I love the class and have fun shaking my rhyno butt.

So to all you petrified to go to a class, or gym... dont let the fear rule you. I am still the fattest girl in the class.. but now I dont let that upset me.

thanks

ilona

PS I challenge all you people who have yet to set foot in a gym to go this week. Do it, go, try it out. Embrace your big butts and do not be ashamed. It is amazingly empowering.

red1cutie Sat, Feb-22-03 14:03

Too scared/embarrassed/uncomfortable to see all the people who saw me before I was 20 pounds heavier :cry: .

red

chysmith Sat, Feb-22-03 14:27

Working out

Last spring and summer I was really good about working out at the YMCA. I even completed a 12 week program where I met with a trainer every 4 weeks. It was really difficult for me to go in because I was so out of shape and everyone else seemed to be so healthy. After going for a while, I started talking to people and realized that many had been where I was. One gal was nearly half my size (now at 125) and could easily fit into one of my pant legs, but she had started out over 200. I didn't really lose much weight while going there, but I know that I was building muscle and losing inches b/c my pants were fitting better. I also was still under the misconception that a high carb, low fat diet was the way to go. I found myself eating more and more carbs throughout the day because isn't that what athletes do after all, carb loading? Ha Ha! Now I know better. I just need to start back again. I stopped in September when my kids went back to school b/c things just started getting too crazy with everything that I volunteer for. Now I'm thinking, no more excuses, I must get back! Maybe next week...

-Cait

manucpa Sat, Feb-22-03 18:41

Hmmm...I've never seen a little 156 lb Rhino Hip Hoping ; = D That class sounds like a blast.

achio4444 Sat, Feb-22-03 18:54

Ironic....

I just posted a similar reply somewhere but cannot find it. The gist is that I went to an ab routine class the other day at the gym. Four of us in the class, two normal weight, me, and "Barbie". One of the normals left which left three of us. I was a little embarrassed, scared I was going to pop the ball we had to use for the class, sure that Barbie was wondering what I was doing in there. Well, to make a long story short, Barbie turned out to be a very nice woman named Barb (glad she couldn't read my mind!) who was more insecure about her size 28 waist than I was about my size 38 waist! :D While I was so concerned that she was laughing at me inside, she hadn't even noticed when I was struggling...she was more concerned about what she was doing.

Moral of the story? I think being overweight often makes us very self-conscious and absolutely convinced that everyone is always laughing at us. My mom would laugh at me and tell me not to be so conceited...no one is that concerned about me, skinny or not! I am the one who makes it seem that way! (She doesn't mean that in a mean way, just that I am assuming a lot about people if I assume they are staring at me!)

Amy :D

Miss Melis Sat, Feb-22-03 23:39

I- Ha !....

I plan to take the challenge.. thanks for reminding us that we are all human and can be very uncomfortable... no matter what size...... :cool:

see my thread, "curves anyone?"... I plan to try it out on Thursday!!!

red1- it can be hard.... ;)

Thanks! :wave:

M-

red1cutie Sat, Feb-22-03 23:43

lol.. The stories are funny.

I am having a Dr Phil moment... :rolleyes:

Dr Phil: "People wouldn't worry or obsess about how people felt/thought about them if they knew how they little thought about them"

showpuli Sun, Feb-23-03 09:16

Just for the record.. I'm a really short rhyno.. 5'2 . Someone my size usually weighs 110. So my butt has 40 extra punds of padding. So I guess I am a short ball of ryno. :)

I guess our own insecurities sometimes have such a hold on us.

Dr Phill would be proud

:roll:

red1cutie Sun, Feb-23-03 09:49

lol... I am short too.

Don't call yourself a rhino..'Cause if you are a rhino... I must be....nevermind

I hate to quote again (no I love quoting) but just like Christina Aguilera's song goes:

"We are beautiful no matter what they say
Yes, words won't bring us down"

red

janny Sun, Feb-23-03 10:47

Not only am I short and according to my all grown up kids-shrinking fast in height (they think that is funny for some reason) but having had mini-stokes my left side is a wee bit weaker. Drag left foot a little-I have always been clutzy but now I am even better at it!!! I got a Walmart treadmill for Christmas ( no motor) was walking on it hubby said something- I turned around(duh!!) and went right off the thing into the wall. Had to go to eye docs to get my wire frames unbent. Needless to say this thing and me only operate when hubby is napping or out!!
Jan
:daze:

MumShoe Sun, Feb-23-03 11:22

I have always been anxious to go to Bally's so I just quit a couple years ago because I was not "fit" enough, but I started curves a few months ago and it really gives hope to unfit women who are very self concious of their bodies. I would certainly recommend curves to any woman who is just starting to get fit. :roll:

penk Sun, Feb-23-03 15:17

I encourage anyone who feels intimidated or self-conscious about going to a "real" gym (like I was) to try Curves. Going there 3x/wk for 30-40 min each has done incredible wonders for my self-confidence, my attitude, AND my body!

... talk about empowering, this has done it for me.. who knows, maybe i'll move up to a "real" gym someday?

only wish i'd have had the foresight to see the franchise in it - we have 2 in our small city!

Penny
:daizy: