Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Want to lose weight? Listen to God?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87261)

Talon Mon, Feb-17-03 10:25

Want to lose weight? Listen to God??

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/...t.ap/index.html

Want to lose weight? Listen to God
Monday, February 17, 2003 Posted: 10:16 AM EST (1516 GMT)

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) -- Praying for a slimmer figure? You may be on the right track to weight loss, according to new programs that look to the Bible as a diet book.

There's "What Would Jesus Eat? The Ultimate Program for Eating Well, Feeling Great, and Living Longer" and "Step Forward," a Bible-inspired program.

"The focus of this is not on food, it's on God," said Mary Dyck, a member of "The Weigh Down Workshop," another faith-based program.

Dyck, who's tried a variety of diets, is 29 pounds lighter thanks to her new regime.

Weigh Down doesn't require a set eating plan -- just eat what you crave. The key is listening to God.

"God designed our body and he gave us the signals to obey. If we overstuff ourselves, we are disobeying him," said Dorothy Miller, co-facilitator of the Weigh Down Workshop in Kalona.

Talon Mon, Feb-17-03 10:45

Quote:
Weigh Down doesn't require a set eating plan -- just eat what you crave. The key is listening to God.

If I ate what I crave - chocolate and pasta, I'd be in much more trouble than I am now - plus my lifespan would be cut woefully short. Listening to God for some may be key, but I beleive that God also gave us free will to choose what is best for us.

Afterall, some drugs are natural -people can start to crave them. Is that good for them? Nope.

Lessara Mon, Feb-17-03 11:14

Jewish diet

A friend of mine went on a Kosher diet and lost over 100lbs on it.
Others have mentioned it.
Here's an article on it
Kosher Diet
I wonder if my friend was intollerant to pork...
Not being mean by the way...

PoofieD Tue, Feb-18-03 12:57

it didn't sound mean

Alot of people are very intolerant to different foods.
Take those out of their lives and boom!
:-)
thanks for the article.
Nedra

gary Tue, Feb-18-03 16:36

Even without God!

Even without God it is good to have a positive outlook and determination to lose weight. If Prayer and God help you to stick to a plan then that is great! :thup: Unfortunately many people don't have the will power to obey signals even if they come from God. In my case I had lower back problems and chronic pain around my waist. It took from the time I was 40 to 47 to finally realize the significance of LC eating. Then I found the LC diet fit my lifestyle and I was able to adapt.

So eat what you crave - well my friends and I have got addicted to LC food. We actually look forward to the LC menu choices. Hopefully these people listen to God, common sense and to some kind of good nutritionist to help them. :wave:

tigersue Sat, Feb-22-03 09:19

I've not read the article, but I try to eat what my body "craves". This doesn't mean that I eat sugar's when I crave sugars, and I try not to eat carbs if I'm craving carbs. Rather I will eat the protien when I'm craving protein. There are some days my body says I just have to have 4 eggs. Most days I only eat 2, but sometimes I need more. If I really want veggies, I eat those and don't worry about the rest of the stuff. I watch my son eat, who by the way is a big carb addict, but when I really control that intake it is very interesting to watch. A few weeks ago we were at my parents sharing ribs, and he just went crazy and at alot of meat, didn't touch much of anything else. Just a couple of days later, he was eating veggies like mad, and ignoring his meat. I think that is what it is refering to as "craving" is really eating what your body is saying it needs. I have tried to get better at "listening" to my body. I have had a great deal of noise lately so it has been much harder to focus, but when I do, I realize it really isn't the carb it is wanting, (low seretonin), but rather what I need is to eat those things that will help with that State. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.
Tanya

PoofieD Sat, Feb-22-03 10:38

It makes sense to me

But then watching Colin eat has alway been fascinating. He has always been able to eat what his body probably needs at the time.
With my boys of course they just ate :wave:
but I realize that many wise people have put veggies, fruit and cheese out for thier kids, and without fail that seems ti keep those children being able to listen to their body needs.
Nedra

AmberinIN Mon, Feb-24-03 16:20

I am usually very supportive in my Church's various programs, but when they started the Weigh Down program a few years ago, I was less than enthused. They tout it as a "listen to your cravings and to what God tells you to eat", but stuck into all of the nooks and crannies is the underlying feeling that if you're craving something that's not good for you, you may have some underlying "things" in your life you need to rely on God to deal with.

I've never been a supporter of the "If your life is bad, you must have underlying sin in your life and God is punishing you", and parts of this diet seemed to smack of that form of religion.

There's also the low fat thing in there. You know they have to teach you "proper nutrition".

:wave: Amber

Karen Sat, Mar-01-03 12:26

This makes complete sense to me. If you divide food into two categories and have one for "God made" foods and the other for "man made" foods.

If you are looking for foods that promote health and well being, the God made foods win hands down. So, if you keep all the man made foods out of your life and just use the God made foods, you can't go wrong with listening to what you crave.

Quote:
that if you're craving something that's not good for you, you may have some underlying "things" in your life you need to rely on God to deal with.

I have to agree with this because many of us use foods for other things above and beyond survival. We use them as drugs. If this were not true, then there would be no need for all the 12-Step and recovery programs, councilling and self-help books on this. There would be no eating disorders either. :(

Karen