Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Candida Yeast & IBS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Where did my irritable bowel go? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87091)

Joan006 Sun, Feb-16-03 14:06

Where did my irritable bowel go?

For a year now, since my gallbladder was removed, I've had IBS. I could eat a sausage patty or bacon and would be doubled over in agony with sweat pouring down my face. No bathroom was close enuff. So, I ate MORE grits and bisquits to make up for it! I'm from the South! :p I quit smoking too...the weight PILED on.
I've been on Atkins for a week now and I have ate LOTS of sausage, bacon, steak etc...and haven't had even a TWINGE of stomach pain! HOW CAN THIS BE? Am I cured? I've even lost 8 Lbs. in one week! That's a miracle in itself! :D

Talon Sun, Feb-16-03 14:10

Joan,

Quite a few people have reported the same "side affect" from LC'ing, their IB stuff seems to melt away - or at least cut down greatly. My husband is one of those too - isn't Low Carbing grand! :)

m0bster Sun, Feb-16-03 15:13

Not sure about the IBS, Joan, but the 8lbs is AWESOME...I know, cause I also lost 8lbs since the 11th of this month. Keep up the great work!

orchidday Sun, Feb-16-03 15:28

Congratulations on the IBS and the 8 pounds! You have really had double success. I have been plagued with IBS for a long time. At my worst, I lost 70 pounds and most of my hair and skin color. It was so bad that I never went anywhere unless I knew where the public restroom was. I can't count the number of times I was in the restroom at the grocery store - I couldn't last that long. After the worst years were over, it never went away completely. I have spent so many evenings running back and forth to the bathroom all night long.

Since low-carbing my IBS is completely gone. Totally and completely. I was very surprised, I had not anticipated that at all. I was afraid to eat the fats. It is darn near a miracle!! I couldn't be happier. I would have to eat this way forever even if I never lost another pound. It seems like I just don't digest complex carbs whatsover. Pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread really are my culprits. I think the stuff just pours through me. And the fats, make me feel good. Just the opposite of what I always thought. I am kind of bitter that my physician was so far off base about it. Good Luck and welcome to a life away from running to the bathroom anywhere and everywhere! Cindi

jude3000 Mon, Feb-17-03 18:18

Hi All,
I too used to suffer with IBS or so the doctor told me. Now on Atkins it has disappeared. I came off Atkins for a couple of months (never again), but found my IBS did not return. Why? I believe it is because I did not re-introduce milk back into my diet during my Atkins relapse. Basically, I have now come to the conclusion that I am lactose intolerant. To be truthful I didn’t believe the doctor’s IBS diagnosis at the time, because as far as I knew IBS was swinging between diarrhoea and constipation when in fact I was constantly diarrhoeic. It seemed to be worse when I ate rich fatty foods. But as I say on Atkins it has gone, even though I am of course eating fatty foods!!

regrds
ja

Alaskagirl Tue, Feb-18-03 14:31

Congratulations on the weight loss and feeling better...

To too have IBS. I had constant stomach pain and bloating as well. I have been on Atkins since Feb 1st and I hardly have any problems any more. Once in a while but nothing like before and I have lost 11 lbs. I feel that this way of eating really agrees with my body..Maybe I had an intolerance to carbs and that was what was causing it..I really don't know but I am soooo glad I am feeling so much better..

:spin:

readyami Sat, Feb-22-03 15:51

is it really gone?

I have had IBS for years as well. It went away for two months when I started Atkins. I was amazed that I could have "normal" bm's...and it lasted for two months.
Now the IBS is back with a vengeance...and I am still low-carbing. I write down everything. I don't know what is causing it. I haven't changed anything.
:mad:

kjturner Sun, Feb-23-03 01:25

Could you maybe getting too much magnesium? (Rolaids are loaded with it, for example) My sister thought she had IBS for years until she discovered/realized they had magnesium in them. When she switched to Tums (no magnesium) her symptoms went away. (She has a haiatal hernia and eats Tums like candy to keep the symptoms down. I keep badgering her to get Nexium, but she doesn't like going to docs)