Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Plan question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=86526)

Binger Thu, Feb-13-03 12:29

Plan question

Does anyone know of a low carb plan that allows fruit? (At least in moderation)..

I have just begun to try Atkins. I am also on Weight Watchers. I hope to meld the two of them by following Atkins, but staying within my points range.

See, I have a real problem with processed carbs like pasta, etc. If I have even a small plate of pasta, I'm donein. My stomach protrudes, my scale skyrockets, and I can't keep my fork out of my mouth. The other night I had a cup of pasta. I then went back and had three more plates. That was when I realized that I could not have that kind of thing, the same way an alcholic can't have just one drink.

I read the info at the Atkins sight, and it seemed reasonable. But I am worried about the fruit, or lack of it I should say.

I am not sure WHAT my question is, I just would like some input regarding this.

pv3882 Thu, Feb-13-03 13:47

that depends - is ketosis part of your goal? I find that I need some kind of strict guideline in the beginning and then somewhat modify as I make some progress. I know that fruits make me binge too because it's nothing more than nature's sugar. That's why you crave it but some people think that it's a healthy foods because it's natural. Poison Ivy is natural too! I would add low-carb veggies instead of fruits. Tomatoes is fruity without the sugars. If you find that you have problems with carbs, it is better to abstain from them altogether to 'detox' yourself from all the cravings, this means staying away from fruits also. I find that I need sufficient fats to stay on the diet. Doin the low-fat version of Atkins is boring! Where's all the fun if you cut out the fat? You need fats to satisfy your appetite.

Not trying to sound discouraging, but my friends are not doing so well on Weight-watchers. They confess that they crave carbs all the time. If you find yourself in that situation, I would definitely try doing Atkins alone and see how it works for you. good luck! :daze:

liz175 Thu, Feb-13-03 13:50

I think almost all the lowcarb plans allow some fruit. Atkins is the strictest, but still only forbids fruit in the first two weeks during induction. After that, some lowcarb fruit (primarily berries or melon) are possible for most people following Atkins. I have been on Atkins for seven months and I have a little fruit each day. Fruit is generally higher in carbs than vegetables, so you need to more carefully watch quantities with fruits than with vegetables.

Rosebud Thu, Feb-13-03 16:20

Hi Binger,

Schwarzbein and Protein Power spring to mind immediately as allowing fruit.

Check our summaries in "Which low carb plan is right for me?" to the right of your screen, and you may find some more.

:rose:Rosebud:rose: