Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   going off induction (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=85704)

Arnie_g Sun, Feb-09-03 22:27

going off induction

Hi,

I've been on induction for 4 weeks and I've lost 8 lbs. I'm very happy with that. I'm feeling better already, I don't know if it's loosing the weight or just fuelling my body with better foods, but I have a lot more energy. :D

I'm going to go off induction tomorrow. This is a little scary, I see now why people are often reluctant to go off induction. But I want to follow what the Dr. says to do in his book, so I'm taking the plunge. I have from 12 to 17 lbs. left to loose to get to the weight I want to be at (160-165).

But I don't know how I'll force myself to eat another 5 grams of carbs every day. I have a hard time getting 20 grams down now. I've been trying to buy more of the higher carb allowed veggies, but damn I can't wait to be able to add some nuts and berries in a couple weeks. That'll help a lot.

Last Wednesday I went to a cooking class that Karen did and it was great. She showed us some terrific recipes and we got to sample them all. So Trish and I have been getting more adventurous in our meals and it's great. Thanks Karen! (BTW, for those who haven't met Karen in person she is just as wonderful, helpful, and nice in person as she is here. But you probably knew that anyways.)

Sorry for the long post, I'm just kind of rambling so I'll stop now.

Arnie

Karen Sun, Feb-09-03 22:47

Hey Arnie! Why didn't you introduce yourself? I've taught so many low-carb classes lately that my head is spinning! :daze: And I'm teaching another two next week.

Anyway, back to you! Don't fear adding a few more carbs. A few nuts and berries as well as a few higher carb vegetables - how about mashing squash and cauliflower together, Brussels sprouts mixed with cream cheese and toasted almonds? - will keep this WOE forever interesting. Even something simple like tomato sauce can add a bit of excitement.

Besides, your a guy, and most guys have an easier time losing weight with higher carbs. Consider yourself blessed!

Karen

DDMariana Sun, Feb-09-03 23:25

Arnie,

Lucky for you to have been at Karen's cooking class...sounds like fun. Karen...coming to CA any time soon??

I personally have NO problem adding 5 measley carbs to my daily intake, but if you do, what about a little peanut butter!! What I wouldn't give to be able to scoop some out on a spoon...

I don't dare, because that is one of my non-stop activities...when the container is about halfway empty, I figure, what the heck, might as well finish it off... :rolleyes:

The squash is a good idea, and I think green beans are a bit higher than I thought in the beginning.

Good luck.

:wave:

Yaseruzo~! Sun, Feb-09-03 23:30

WTG Arnie!

You are so lucky to live in Vancouver and so close to Karen! I wish I could attend one of her lowcarb cooking classes! I'm not much of a cook but I've been browsing through the recipe section to get ideas on keeping this WOE interesting and it's been great! Today was my day 14 of induction and I lost 11 lbs. so far. I'm going to keep doing induction for another 2 weeks to see if I could lose a few more pounds before I plunge into the first phase of maintenance. Keep us up to date on your progress!

Arnie_g Sun, Feb-09-03 23:42

I was the only guy in the class, at the back of the room. Hey, if there are any single guys out there, cooking classes are the place to be. :p But don't tell my DW I said that!

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm Peanut butter, I can't wait! And the squash, cauliflour sounds great too. Today Trish made the mashed garlic cauliflower that Karen showed us in the class and it was awesome. I tried to make the soup, but when I was in the process I pulled out the dijon mustard and there was about two drops left in the bottle. So I tried regular powdered mustard. It wasn't as good as the stuff Karen made on Wednesday, but it is still damn good. And today Trish made Karen's Creamy Shallot salad dressing. It is so good Trish even put it on her asparagus.

I'm eating so much better than I used to. Meals have become something to really look forward to in our house. This WOE is not only healthy, it is fun! :thup:

Arnie