Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Little sunshine moments (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=85197)

Vel Fri, Feb-07-03 07:46

Little sunshine moments

I wanted to share a couple of things that happened this week that show me that I am changing and make me feel so good about this WOL.

First, it is my turn at work to do the stocking of supplies for the office. I have in the past really dreaded this because it was physically very difficult for me. Well, the other day I was hauling around all sorts of things and had no trouble at all. It felt great :)

The second one was this morning. I went upstairs to make my own and my childrens' lunches. A salad for me, sandwiches for them. At the end, I realized that I hadn't done what I usually do which is to get everything I need to prepare the food and carry it over to the table so that I can sit to do them. I had just stood there at the counter and made the stuff without giving it a thought. I know this seems like a small deal, but it made me really happy. In the past, I was ALWAYS looking to see where I could park my butt when my legs started to hurt, and I don't have to do that all the time now. Pretty great :)

Anyway.. thats me for now :)
Tracy

liz175 Fri, Feb-07-03 08:31

Isn't it wonderful? Last weekend I spent three hours walking around a shopping mall with my daughter. I know that a year ago I would have had to park myself in a chair and wait for her, because my legs and back would have hurt too much to walk around for more than 20 minutes or so. Even though I am very far from my goal weight, there has been a tremendous improvement in the quality of my life.

Vel Fri, Feb-07-03 08:51

That's wonderful Liz!

And I bet your daughter really noticed the difference too. It means a lot to be able to do things with our kids that we couldn't do before. When I get smaller, probably by next winter, I am going to go tobagganing with my kids. Whether they want to or not! LOL They are all teens so they might not think its fun anymore, but it is something I always wanted to do with them that I never could. Then we are going to Canada's Wonderland and I am going on some roller coasters with them too :) Can't wait.

Tracy

quikdeb Fri, Feb-07-03 15:14

Sometimes it's easy to forget how our weight impacts our lives and others in so many ways we don't even think about it. We put so much on hold. It's so fun to have those little moments when we feel our lives changing and even the smallest thing can mean so much.

I remember going camping and the first time I didn't have to go out the trailer door sideways! I was thrilled!

Congrats, Vel, on STANDING for those sandwiches! :yay:

Deb

Fantasia Sat, Feb-08-03 06:59

I too, have noticed some of the same things. I used to have to sit after doing some dishes, and the result would be more dishes than I felt like doing! Now, I stand the whole time, and the dishes are almost always cleaned up. Same goes with cooking. The only time I sit when cooking is when the meat is going to take a while and the veggies won't. :P My house is a lot cleaner, too! What used to take me an entire day now takes me 30 minutes.

I used to be so sad about the things I used to take for granted, like running upstairs to grab something, and eventually only going upstairs once a week or so. I sort of mourned the loss like the death of something/someone. I spent month after month mourning my losses, entrenched in the pain and only wishing I could do the things I used to.

Now, it is like a rebirth. I somewhat fancy myself now as a butterfly emerging from a cocoon.

Perhaps the one major lesson in this part of my life I have learned is, not to take even the littlest things for granted.

freydis Tue, Feb-11-03 10:30

Walking is a big deal for me. I had gotten to where it was hard for me to walk from the car to the store. I was leaning on the cart more as I shopped. Walking from the house to the mailbox was "exercise." Really sad, I know. Now, I still have trouble occasionally - bad days and good days - but I'm better off in general and can walk a lot more than before. I'm even beginning to walk faster again, and occasionally run a bit.

I still park my bottom more than I want to, but the improvements continue. Congrats, Tracy, on a better life!

Vel Tue, Feb-11-03 11:15

This forum is so great!

It is so nice to be able to come in here and share something like this and know that people in here will understand. I wouldn't have told those things to most people in my "real life", because they just wouldn't get it. But you guys do :)

I'm glad this forum is here and you will see me around a lot!

Tracy

MsPAC116 Mon, Sep-06-04 09:25

Are there any active Triple digits remaining?

:wave: I noticed these posts are from February. Are there any active triple digit members remaining?

dianna9234 Mon, Sep-06-04 09:43

there are a LOT of us.. we share on a daily basis... alot of us have journals.. and now.. we are getting more and more into "chatting"
hope to hear more from you

dianna

liz175 Mon, Sep-06-04 10:41

How nice to see this old thread and remember how I felt a year and a half ago! Yes, some of us who posted in that thread are still here and still losing. When I wrote that post in February 2003, I had just broken through the 300 pound barrier. Now I am below 250 pounds. It has been a long journey, and I'm still far from goal, but the improvement in my quality of life has continued every step along the way. Now, not only can I walk around a shopping mall for many hours (my big achievement a year and a half ago), but I can hike in the mountains and ride a bicycle (something I hadn't done for many, many years). Last month, I did a six-mile mountain hike that included descending and ascending 1,000 feet and I wasn't even tired afterwards -- I went swimming in the evening!

Other people who posted in this thread a year and a half ago are still active in the forum, but many "old-timers" stick mainly to their journals. If you click on the journal link under their names, you can find out if they are still around and how they are doing now.

Wenzday Mon, Sep-06-04 11:56

oh wow what an OLD thread!!! :) I remember it fondly though! LOVE those SUNSHINE moments! *aahhhh*

taming Mon, Sep-06-04 13:28

New to me

It may be an old thread, but it's new to me and I love reading it.

I am looking forward to a bunch of things like--being able to hook my bra the "normal" way. Now I keep it hooked and pull it over my head. My hands just can't reach around my back to do it the other way.

I'd also like to see my feet when I am standing up LOL.

lynnp Mon, Sep-06-04 18:43

Great motivation guys. Thanks for the "rays".

hummelda Mon, Sep-06-04 20:06

Lots of us still here!!!

Lessara Mon, Sep-06-04 20:11

I'm here too! :) I had a happy moment err weekend. Usually by the weekend I have no energy left (I work full time), But this past weekend I cleaned the stove from a half years grim, Reorganized and donated books to a book drive, cut and made squares for a quilted pillowcase I'm making my son (From boxers he got that were too small), I played to of my favorite computer games (Sims, and Neverwinter), and I did grocery shopping and laundry.. and I'm still full of energy!! Thank you low carb!!