Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I am bored (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=84756)

jch_rbm124 Wed, Feb-05-03 08:07

I am bored

I am so bored with what I eat. It all seems the same to me... eggs, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, peanut butter, cream cheese, pork rinds, chicken wings... blah! I need variety, but every time I think of something, it ends up being full of carbs... I need quick lunch and dinner ideas... and stuff to throw in my mouth during work when I'm SURROUNDED with animal crackers, cookies, and cheese puffs, ( my absolute favorite ). PLEASE HELP ME!
thanks,
Ryanne

LadyBug555 Wed, Feb-05-03 08:26

comb our recipe section, we have lots and they are great

Brownsoup Wed, Feb-05-03 08:27

I hear you on this - I go in spells with things. I have been mixing up chicken with blue cheese dressing and fresh baby spinach w/ some cheese in a tupperwear bowl...pretty good.

I am in the same boat though...looking for more alternatives....maybe it is time to move on to OWL..... - Steve

rtjdk2 Wed, Feb-05-03 09:14

I love variety also.. or i will get bored easy... I find spinach, collards, brochlie, colieflower,many other green vegies are a way to spice things up.. also try different things with your salads.. i make homemade chicken salads and experiment with that also.. find that black olives, tomato slices, and green onion taste real good in a chicken salad with a hit of tobasco sause.... have a steak or porchop or chicken breast with a salad of mixed greens , sauteed mushrooms a sprinkle of parmasean cheese on top and try different salad dressings... also there is a recipee some where on here for cauliefried rice is awsome... alot of people get bored with eggs and sausage or bacon for breakfast try a mock danish or have left over dinner for breakfast.. grilled cod fillets are great also.. have a grilled salmon with some green onions and butter on top... some of the vegies look high in carbs than others but remember most of them have a higher fiber count also... Hope this helps some on giveing a variety of foods to eat...

Tammy

if all else fails try inventing your own ways of different foods to eat different ways like i did with the chicken salad

DDMariana Wed, Feb-05-03 12:21

Ryanne,

I don't know which phase of Atkins you're on, but I would watch the peanut butter in any case! Aside from that, yes, meat and eggs can get boring...

It would help to know your lifestyle just a bit...like for me, I live alone, there are no others in the house that surround me with junk...I cook for ONE, I go to school full time, etc. so I have to have quick easy, one bowl meals...

If you are the one cooking for a family, let's say, then the food ideas will be a bit different.

In any case...what would you LIKE to have? What are you missing? This WOE is not about doing without, but about adjusting and finding interesting foods that are satisfying and enjoyable.

I make a LC cheesecake that is YUMMY...tried the mock danish for breakfast, but really prefer my scrambled eggs with whatever else is in there! I make the cauliflower dish with sour cream, cheddar cheese...I love that one.

On this WOE you shouldn't be tired, bored or hungry. Let's work on spicing things up a bit for you!

:wave:

claire3 Wed, Feb-05-03 13:10

try this

I make a BLT salad that is great and different - it is a main dish for me. Fry some bacon til its crispy, reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat, keep it warm. Tear up lettuce in a big bowl(spinach is good too for a different taste - but iceburg gives the BLT feel). Add as much tomato as your carb count will allow. Now in the pan add a tablespoon of oil, one tablespoon of vinegar(or to taste) and a sprinkle of splenda. Whisk it up til its a bit creamy, add more oil if needed. Pour over salad, toss, sprinkle the bacon on top, salt and pepper to taste. The warm dressing slightly wilts the lettuce. Its a substantial meal for me and is a break from the meat eggs sheese thing!

DDMariana Wed, Feb-05-03 15:03

Mmmmm.. :p

I do lots of my dishes on a bed of shredded lettuce...last night was a cheeseburger with some blue cheese all around...

It used to be a plate of rice or noodles with something on top...those days are gone, and I'm enjoying these days better!

:wave:

orchidday Wed, Feb-05-03 15:13

:thup: :thup:

The above posts have some great tips because boredom can be a real problem if you don't stretch it out. Just the other day I had fresh raspberries with cream and splenda. Divine!

But I think there is something else important to remember. We should eat to live not live to eat. For those of us struggling with weight issues - we have often used food as recreation, solice, stress reduction, etc. It was never meant to be that. Food is to keep our bodies fueled so that we can live our lives to the fullest. When it becomes more than that, we balloon up. It is very much a cultural thing - and Americans are the fattest people on Earth! And we do love to eat! Try focusing on why food is so important to you. For many of us, that is where the answer lies.

Best of Luck to You! Cindi

jch_rbm124 Wed, Feb-05-03 17:56

thanks so much!!!!

you guys are great! i really appreciate all the help... the BLT salad sounds great, as well as everything else... i had no idea there was a recipe section on here... i really need to get out more ;) thanks again, ya'll!
Ryanne

achio4444 Wed, Feb-05-03 20:24

Quick Fixes to Change up Your Menu

Here are a few of the things I seem to make every week. My definite fav of all is the parm chicken fingers. My DH loves them, friends who are not LCing beg me to make them, I eat them ALL THE TIME!!!! Great warm, cold in a salad, for breakfast, a snack. I am sure you get my point, I LOVE THEM!!!!

1. Parmesan Chick Fingers: Slice a boneless skinless breast into 4-5 long pieces. Dip in egg and then in parm cheese (seasoned if desired). Fry in olive oil. Tastes very similar to fried chicken.

2. Iced Coffee: Pour coffee over lots of ice. Add cream and splenda as desired and enjoy! A great dessert!

3. Cube Steaks: Fry two cube steaks (per person). When done, remove from pan. Add a bit of butter, sautee a few mushrooms, scrape up brown bits. When mushrooms are done, add a little water to the pan. When it is warm and absorbed all the meat drippings, add a dollop of sour cream. Mix it in, then add the meat back. Very quick and filling.

4. Cheese Broccoli Soup: Boil about 2 c. chopped broccoli in about 3-4 c. chicken broth for about 10 min. Add about 1 c. shredded cheese. Let it melt. Turn off the heat and add about 1/3 c. heavy cream. Stir and enjoy. This is so simple and so yummy.

5. Also in my journal is a Cream Cheese Pancake recipe, which I have made a few times, and really enjoy.

Hope this helps a little!

Amy :)