Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   GLA, EPA & DHA Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=84104)

Epona Sat, Feb-01-03 22:18

GLA, EPA & DHA Question

I have found that I seem to be allergic to something in Fish Oil Pills. I tried two different brands, one of them being my favorite 'Solgar'.

Both were 1000mg (lowest I could find) and both seemed to mostly have the same things in them with Solgar having some extra's like Vitamin E.

Problem is, when I take the Fish Oil Pills I break out in a very itchy and annoying rash.

What I would like to do is try the oils seperately and see if I have any problems, but I had a question before I do so.

First, I take Solgar 'Primrose Oil 500mg' softgels once a day and have been doing so for about 6 months now with no problem. Okay, so that's my source of GLA there.

So now I need to find my EPA.

Solgar has a product called 'Solgar - One-a-Day EPA/GLA'. If I get this, should I discontinue use of Primrose oil? (Worried I would be getting the GLA from this product and wasting money on buying both)

While the Solgar products I am able to get ahold of offer a bottle of only GLA they don't seem to offer a bottle of just EPA (They probably do, just that it isn't available where I order from)

Also, the fish oil has DHA listed in it's ingredients. Solgar also has a product called 'Solgar - DHA 100mg'. Wondering if I should get this to or if the EPA/GLA is enough?

And lastly, anyone have any ideas what I might be allergic to in the Fish Pills? I thought maybe the capsule at first, but I have no problem with Solgar Primrose or Vitamin E softgels.

Thanks for anyone that can help me with this. (I hope it all made sense, it's past 4am here) :D

ZoneCoach Sun, Feb-02-03 00:15

Re: GLA, EPA & DHA Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona
I have found that I seem to be allergic to something in Fish Oil Pills.

You may have to continue experimenting with a brand that agrees with you.
I have posted a few time on the subject (in this forum) if you want to scroll back

Quote:
Both were 1000mg (lowest I could find) and both seemed to mostly have the same things in them with Solgar having some extra's like Vitamin E.

Vitamin E is used to stabilize the fish oil because it is oxidizes very quickly.
Quote:
First, I take Solgar 'Primrose Oil 500mg' softgels once a day and have been doing so for about 6 months now with no problem. Okay, so that's my source of GLA there.

Why are you supplementing with GLA? Do you have a special need? By eating a small amount of steel cut oatmeal per week, you will get all the GLA you need.
Quote:
So now I need to find my EPA.

It would be best to find a product with EPA/DHA

Epona Sun, Feb-02-03 10:20

Re: Re: GLA, EPA & DHA Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ZoneCoach
You may have to continue experimenting with a brand that agrees with you. I have posted a few time on the subject (in this forum) if you want to scroll back

Yes, I have read your previous messages on the matter and the brands you recommend. However, I'm in the UK and I haven't been able to find those brands available here as of yet.

Not to mention that it's a bit sad to have spent 35 UKP (approx $50) and have two bottles I can't use. I'd prefer to not keep repeating this and find something I CAN use.

Quote:
Why are you supplementing with GLA? Do you have a special need? By eating a small amount of steel cut oatmeal per week, you will get all the GLA you need.

Well, I need the items that are included in the Primrose oil and that was one of them. I guess Cis Linoleic Acid is the important item. So I won't get rid of my Primrose oil anyway. (Obviously I don't know much about this which is why I have posted for help)

Epona Sun, Feb-02-03 11:03

I did a little more searching and I found this:

http://www.health-store.co.uk/acata...n_Seas_254.html

Seven Seas seems to make the NOW product in the US.

http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3374

However, not sure if it would be the same thing or as good over here.

ZoneCoach Tue, Feb-04-03 22:09

Re: Re: Re: GLA, EPA & DHA Question

Quote:
Yes, I have read your previous messages on the matter and the brands you recommend. However, I'm in the UK and I haven't been able to find those brands available here as of yet.

I did post a correction to one of my posts regarding the NOW product. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77757&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Quote:
Not to mention that it's a bit sad to have spent 35 UKP (approx $50) and have two bottles I can't use. I'd prefer to not keep repeating this and find something I CAN use.

I can certainly understand that.
As a valued customer, I am confident the health food store I shop at would exchange the product and help me find one I could use without distress.

Quote:
Well, I need the items that are included in the Primrose oil and that was one of them. I guess Cis Linoleic Acid is the important item. So I won't get rid of my Primrose oil anyway.

Do you know why you are taking it?
I hate to bore anyone with scientific babble (some of which I don't understand either), but what I do know is Evening Primrose oil is a source linoleic acid and another kind of fatty acid called gamma linolenic acid, or GLA. This fatty acid is normally manufactured by the body from linoleic acid. It is transformed by the body eventually into eicosanoids, (hormones) that include the prostaglandins. The latter control such processes as inflammation, blood clotting, and cholesterol synthesis.
Since the body produces its own GLA, why consume it in Evening Primrose oil?
Evening Primrose oil can be valuable to those who have a decreased ability to otherwise form enough GLA. This would include those who do not get enough essential fatty acids in their diet, drink or have drunk excessive amounts of alcohol, have low thyroid function, or have received radiation treatment.
I have also recently learned it is often used by women to help relieve breast pain and symptoms of the premenstrual syndrome. In England, it is an approved treatment for breast pain and allergic dermatitis and eczema. It has also been advocated for high cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetic nerve damage but the studies have not proven it.

Since you (usually)like the Solgar product line, you may want to try the Omega 3 '700' . Chances are though, it's not the fish oil itself you're having problems with. It could be the contaminants. Molecular distillation removes the contaminents. Too much GLA can also have adverse side effects.

ZoneCoach Tue, Feb-04-03 22:21

Fish oil

Quote:
I did a little more searching and I found this:
http://www.health-store.co.uk/acata...n_Seas_254.html
Seven Seas seems to make the NOW product in the US.
http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3374

When doing my earlier research, I found that product to be made in the UK, however, this one is made in Canada. http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3471
It is the Canadian manufacurer I checked out and found their quality to meet the highest standards. As I posted earlier, I accidently inserted the wrong link in the fish oil thread.
I hope anyone who cares saw my :doah: correction.

:blush:

Epona Thu, Feb-06-03 19:11

Re: Re: Re: Re: GLA, EPA & DHA Question

Quote:
Do you know why you are taking it?
I hate to bore anyone with scientific babble (some of which I don't understand either)

Thanks for all the details!

The reason I take Primrose: About 6 years ago I started having hot flashes on an almost daily basis. I didn't know what it was at the time, only that I felt awful in the evenings when it occured. A year and a half ago, the doctor here sent me for bloodwork and an ultrasound since he suspected I had Polycystic Ovaries. The tests confirmed that I did and his solution was to put me on birth control medication. This medication made me feel sick all the time and so after six months I decided not to take it any longer due to this reason. The Dr couldn't give me anything else to help with my problem and I was basically told I just had to 'suffer' through it.

A friend recommended I try Primrose and since I've been taking it (about 7 months now) I've had maybe 5 hot flashes, where as before it was an almost daily basis. So, that stuff is liquid gold to me - it really does help. (The dose on the bottle is 3 a day, but I only take one of the 500 mg softgels)

Quote:

Since you (usually)like the Solgar product line, you may want to try the Omega 3 '700' . Chances are though, it's not the fish oil itself you're having problems with. It could be the contaminants. Molecular distillation removes the contaminents. Too much GLA can also have adverse side effects.

Thanks, I'll have a look for that product. I'm moving back to the US at the end of the year, so I definitely look forward to being able to try NOW or Coromega at that time.

My ordeal with the Fish Oil was a strange one - the first brand I tried I broke out within 24 hours. Then I waited a week for the rash to clear (it took that long) and took another one (of the same brand) to make sure it was the fish oil. Nothing happened. So then I took another one the next day and viola, the rash came back with a vengeance.

So I ordered the Solgar and waited the week for the rash to clear up. When I started the Solgar, it took three days (one capsule a day) for the rash to appear...so, not sure if my body was trying to get adjusted to the stuff or what. Don't really want to play with it anymore as that was one awful, horrendous rash and it made me the biggest grouch in the Country. :D

Thanks again for the help.

Epona Fri, Feb-07-03 20:41

Okay, this just gets weirder and weirder....

I haven't taken Vitamin E in a couple of years (since the removal of my gallbladder) I ordered some E (solgar) the other day and took one 400 IU softgel and now two days later the rash is starting to come back (it's not near as bad as the Fish Oil rash, but in the same place)

I guess for some very bizarre reason I am having a problem with oils in general...(thankfully not the Primrose)

ZoneCoach Thu, Feb-13-03 22:14

Quote:
Okay, this just gets weirder and weirder....
I haven't taken Vitamin E in a couple of years (since the removal of my gallbladder) I ordered some E (solgar) the other day and took one 400 IU softgel and now two days later the rash is starting to come back (it's not near as bad as the Fish Oil rash, but in the same place)
I guess for some very bizarre reason I am having a problem with oils in general...(thankfully not the Primrose)

:eek:
I don't know ~ maybe it's time to reconsider your allegiance to Solgar. :confused:
I recently read an article in Nutrition Action Healthletter - Feb 2003, called Spin the Bottle. It was basically a "Consumer Reports" review of dozens of brands of multi-vitamins. Solgar did not rank very high on the list, although this was not a "quality" study, but rather a "get the most bang for your buck" review. One thing about Vitamin E though ~ you want to make sure it's d-alpha and not dl-alpha (ie; natural -vs- synthetic) Yes ~ our bodies can tell the difference! ;)

romeo Sat, Mar-29-03 05:01

About GLA

And if she were allergic to the gelatin? She could try liquid form? Pure borage oil can be purchased in 8 fl oz bottles. Besides, it contians 3 times as much GLA than primrose.
I understand that you always quote Sears but he is not the only expert in the area of EFA. A lot of people get benefit from GLA supplementation, including myself. GLA, in the form of borage oil, prevents me from getting headaches. I also perform better on Sears eicosanoid status.