Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   So glad to be back! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=83957)

Dawn Renee Sat, Feb-01-03 03:00

So glad to be back!

Hi everyone!

I started Atkins last July and lost 20 pounds and felt great. I've remained pretty hard core (20 - 25 carbs a day), yet I've had a number of "interruptions" this year and while I haven't lost as much as I'd like, it's still coming off so I'm happy!

Aound December 20, I "fell off the wagon". I had planned on taking a few lax days during the holidays (we were going to my in-laws, where my MIL still insists on dishing everyone's plate). But I was overworked, had just started a brand new job, stressed about the holidays, and just feeling a bit low, so I started eating carbs again.

Lots of them.

Homemade chocolate chip cookies (for breakfast no less!)
Snickers bars
Pasta
Bread (!)

I felt so sick afterwards - my head was buzzing, and I almost felt "high". After a few days this passed, but I certainly didn't feel as good as I had before. I started getting headaches again - a rarity since last July - and while I planned to get going again as soon as I got home from Christmas, I kept stalling.

January 6 was our anniversary. January 14 was my birthday, and we had a weekend trip to Lisbon planned (my birthday present from my husband) on January 17... I just kept putting it off. But finally, I just said, "no more". I had regained 7 pounds in a month's worth of carb binging, and I certainly wasn't going to do it anymore.

I found myself really looking forward to LCing again - I had a carb junkies weekend last week, hoping to rid myself of the cravings, and by Sunday, all I wanted was steak and cream and good salads, and my little LC chocolate peanut butter cups.

I started LC'ing again the next day, and despite the first day "heachache from hell", I feel really good again. I haven't been doing strict "induction" this time (I had a few strawberries the other day) but have kept my carbs low and have been fine. I've lost five of the seven pounds I put on (in only 6 days!) and have been back on veggies and lots of meaty things.

My husband is back from a long business trip and is going to start LC'ing again next week (he lost 40 pounds last year, and has put about 8 back on since the end of November).

But I've noticed that I'm a real "all or nothing" person - if I'm eating sugar AT ALL, I eat LOTS of it, but this week it was so easy to say no. It certainly helped that the regained weight has fallen off quite quickly, but I haven't been hungry for sweets at all. I'm drinking water again, I'm taking my vitamins again - my skin is nicer already and I'm feeling so much better in general. I even sleep better.

I'm working with a new company now, and the staff there are now telling me how fabulous my lunches look (big salads with lots of chicken) while they eat their little low-fat cartons... they keep saying, "I thought you were on a diet! How can you eat that?"

Easy!!

Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy this community and I'm very grateful for your advice and support. This year, in addition to losing a bit more weight, I'm hoping to learn more about how to keep things in check when I'm away from my home environment (my husband and I have several trips abroad coming up - we are using up all his airmiles! - and I have to learn not to just throw away all my LC principles as soon as I reach an airport). Also, once I hit my goal weight, I have to learn about "moderation" and introducing more carbs into my diet without falling into the trap of wanting them ALL THE TIME!

Thank you for listening! I look forward to another year with you!

Dawn

Lcookster Sat, Feb-01-03 07:31

Welcome back! As a 'newbie' who travels and entertains I, too, am looking forward to learning what I can do to have fun and still be low carbing. Hope things go well for you! Leslie