Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   KETO Blueberry and Cream Hot Cereal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=83943)

achio4444 Fri, Jan-31-03 21:54

KETO Blueberry and Cream Hot Cereal

A HUGE thumbs up for this. I found it at a dinky local health food store. 9 servings for $7, so I don't eat it every day. But when I just can't think about eggs, this is great. 12 grams of carbs minus 9 grams fiber for 3 grams effective carbs (if you subtract). I make mine with almost twice as much water as the directions call for, otherwise, it is like eating concrete. But if you mix in a little heavy cream, it tastes like blueberry muffin batter to me! (yes, I used to eat that....gross!!).

If anyone has tried any of the other flavors, I would like to have an opinion on them, before spending $7!!!

Amy

CarolynC Sat, Feb-01-03 21:14

I really like the Keto Apple Cinnamon hot cereal. I've tried the Old Fashioned Oatmeal flavor and found it to be rather bland.

I also add about twice as much water as the box calls for, otherwise it is a brick!

Catmom Sun, Feb-02-03 12:07

I'm eating the banana nut as I am typing. Actually pretty good. But I found the 3 oz water to be a little watery unlike the other posts. Good for a quick meal and lots of fiber.

paradise Sat, Mar-01-03 07:38

I agree with CarolynC, I like the Keto Apple Cinnamon hot cereal. I've been adding about an ounce more of water each day, now I'm up to seven ounces of water, which I think is the max. It's not as readily absorbing the water, so I will keep it at seven ounces or else I'll have a watery mess. After eating it at breakfast, I feel full all morning. No cravings before lunch.

nitrovixen Sat, Apr-05-03 19:28

blueberry creme

I bought this after I heard Amy say it tastes like blueberry muffin batter! It's pretty good, a little chemical-ly tasting. I will enjoy every bite though..
I am a big fan of flaxomeal and was surprised how different it was! Lot's of vitamins in this one.
thanks for the reviews!

Sheri

lucky1 Sun, Apr-06-03 21:19

I like Keto's Strawberries and Cream hot cereal. For some reason it tastes less chemical-ly to me than the Blueberries and Cream flavor. I still prefer Flax-o-Meal's Strawberries and Cream to either of the Keto products.

ladyfunk25 Mon, Apr-07-03 07:07

Blegh. I tried the keto blueberry and cream, and was really grossed out. I love flax o meal though.
However, I should point out that I have never liked oatmeal or oatmeal like products, which is what the keto hot cereal reminded me of. I prefer hot cereals that are thick and grainy, like the flax (and before I started lcing, malt o meal mmmmm).

achio4444 Mon, Apr-07-03 07:37

Hmmm..

A couple of things...

I should have said it was like oatmeal, and I love oatmeal, so hey, it is right up my alley.

And Catmom, are you letting it sit for the 7-8 min before you eat it? When I first mix it, it is watery, but after it sits that length of time (per the directions), it gets really thick and concrety. I am now adding about 5-6 ounces of water to get it to the consistency I like.

I have also now tried the strawberries and creme and banana nut. Blueberry is still my fav by far...

Amy :D

millermack Thu, May-15-03 15:07

I bought a cannister of the KETO brand Blueberry and Cream hot cereal, and have to say this is one of the few low-carb products that I have not been able to eat. I absolutely love oatmeal, which is unfortunate on a LC diet, but this cereal is way too bland and mushy.

I mixed in some ground flax seeds and found it a little more palatable, but after 2-3 servings I wound up throwing the rest in the trash.

Now, Flax-o-meal hot cereal is another story. I absolutely love their products.

lindaklkw7 Mon, May-19-03 22:24

Keto Apple Cinnamon

Well, I just spent just shy of $100.00 worth of Atkins products to vary my bland diet. They are very expensive, but if they help with the boredom, it will be worth it.

I will have the keto apple cinnamon cereal tomorrow morning for the first time. I am lucky that the store will allow a return, if the products are awful.

Thanks to all of you for the reviews.

lindaklkw7 Tue, May-20-03 21:43

Hi!
The keto apple cinnamon cereal was great! I might just half the portion each morning and have an egg, so to cut the carb to 1.5 for breakfast.