Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   SUPPLEMENTS helped with my fibro! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=83796)

puppetlady Fri, Jan-31-03 10:10

SUPPLEMENTS helped with my fibro!

Hi everyone ,
I have been using supplements for about 3 years now to help control my fibro symptoms. I have had quite a bit of trial and error but some very good success so far. I am not "healed" but I have lots of better days now that I am supplementing.

About a year ago I started taking coral calcium and I have had great success with that. It really helped with the muscle pain and fatigue and I started with 6 capsules a day and now take 2 -4 ,I then added some supplements to help support my thyroid and that really helped with my fatigue. I am still taking them most days. My biggest problems were pain and fatigue and now that they are under control with the supplements I have started LC eating and exercising on my new treadmill. I would never even dreamed I could be walking so well 3 months ago because of the terrible leg pain and cramping at night that made me so tired everyday. I thought I might never get that vicious cycle under control but everything is moving in the right direction.

POTASSIUM is very important on the LC Woe .I learned that the hard way this week because when I changed my diet I was having swelling in my knees and tired legs and cramps again. I add liquid potassium to my tea in the morning and use NO SALT
which is potassium to take care of that. My legs thanked me this morning . Sometimes it is something very simple so don't forget the potassium.............

Tablet VS Capsule. I have found that supplements in capsule form seem to be more absorbable. The hard tablets don't always desolve enough to get any real benefit.

Where to buy? I have also found that buying a higher quality supplement is worth the extra price I have paid because they do work better. If you are considering supplements ,do a little research and try and see if you can find the most bioavailable form . Just for example. I buy a form of magnesium from a friend of mine who sells a high quality supplement and I only need one of that magnesium to achieve the desired result but other magnesium tablets I might need as many as 4 .Her tablet only contains 100 mg of magnesium and the other contains 400 but I don't see any results . So in the end I am not saving anything because I have to take so many of the cheaper tablets for my body to absorb them. . As they say you get what you pay for I guess.........

I did find an article this morning that seemed very informative as far as supplements and since I don't always remember what is supposed to help I printed it out for myself .I am also considering adding the combo 5htp therapy. I have found it is better to take smaller doses of many supplements rather then high doses of one because I figure that is how we get it from our foodI have found Supplements to be very helpful and found this article to be
very helpful. the address is
http://www.holistic-online.com/Reme...b_nutrition.htm

Well that has been my experience with supplements so far.
Debbie :wave:

quietone Fri, Jan-31-03 10:12

Thanks, Debbie

...will take a look if I get a break today!

chattemi Fri, Jan-31-03 11:52

Where can you find the coral calcium? Does it help with the leg cramps and fatigue or is that the potassium.
Do either help you sleep better at night. I have to take sleeping pills or I wake up a million times during the night.

quietone Fri, Jan-31-03 15:19

You can find the coral calcium on the internet.

Potassium is what helps leg cramps.

Supposedly, the coral calcium helps with sleep, but I haven't taken it long enough yet to help.

ftk627 Fri, Feb-21-03 22:46

Leg Cramps

Before starting lc diet in Dec. I used to get leg cramps at night, sometimes very painful, my Dr. prescribed quinine before going to bed and it was very helpful. Since going on the Atkins diet however and walking 3 mi. a day I have not had any leg cramps. I also have been taking coral calcium for quite sometime and have noticed my knees are feeling a lot better. Most health food stores carry coral as well as a lot of drugstores now. Fred

GailT Thu, May-22-03 21:11

HELP for Fibro!

I'm going to let you all know what happened to my friend Diane this last week. She is on Atkins with me and has lost 75 pounds in about 3 months.
She also has fibro so bad she can barely move.
We went to a seminar that was billed as being for headaches but turns out to be so much more.
She's started her treatments last week and as of the very first treatment is totally pain free!!!!!!!
I keep asking her if she's sure she has NO pain and she just laughs at me and says yes. NO pain at all.
If any of you are interested, please look at this website. This guy is the teacher of the Dr. out here in Washington state.
I would love nothing more than to see anyone with this, migraines, epilepsy, dyslexia, on and on, to be free of what ails you. I'm seeing it work!
http://www.atlasorthogonality.com/introduction.htm
:) Gail

kjturner Sun, May-25-03 23:09

Anyone with fibro should be seeing a chiropractor regularly anyway. The muscle spasms we experience definitely affect the spine and vice versa. Atlas orthogonists are chiropractors and then some. Your friend is VERY lucky to have hooked up with one, they're fairly rare.

GailT Mon, May-26-03 22:22

Orthogonists.

Thank you for replying to me. Nobody seems to do this much here.
Diane, my friend, is certainly doing well with her AO treatments!!
I'm amazed by it.
I know there aren't many chiropractors out there that do the AO treatments but hopefully there will be more as time goes on.
I'm doing it for my migraines and have our son in for dyslexia.
Very interesting.
On Dr. Sweat's website there is a reference for AO's in the country.
I'm certainly sold on it.
Again, thanks for replying ;)
Gail