Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [CKD] Couple of questions about the ketogenic diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=83737)

yannick Fri, Jan-31-03 04:03

Couple of questions about the ketogenic diet

Hello fellow low carbers:

I have recently started the ketogenic diet and would have some questions to ask about this diet.

In the past i have done high carbs moderate protein and low fat, high protein low carbs low fat wish worked fairly well.

I was able to lose a lot of weight but still manage to keep the fat under my abs.

After reading some studies on the ketogenic diet, reaching ketosis and how it eats up your bodyfat i was wondering if it could eat up the fat under my abs.

Also how long can i maintain ketosis, 1 week, 2 weeks, i would like to lose has many pounds has i can and i wanna be careful when i do decide to carb-up.

I would like to point out that i recently moved and dont have access to a gym, nor weights but i do have access to an semi-olympic swimming pool.

So lifting weights right now is out of the question for me, will this have any impact at all on my diet?

I still keep active by swimming 30 minutes 4 times a week and walking about an hour at night.

Its to early to tell if i have lost any muscle right now but after testing with the ketostix i am in ketosis since January 29th, i have started the diet January 27th.

Thanks everyone.

Beaver Sat, Feb-01-03 02:08

I would guess your best bet since you can't lift weights (which is a really important part of the process) that you should just do the ole atkins...there no real point in carbing up if you arent depleteing your muscle glycogen. I personally would go no carbs for 2 week stretches, then eat a moderate amount of good carbs. So you would be in ketosis for 2 weeks, then 1 week with moderate carbs, then another 2 weeks in ketosis etc.

There are some things you could do without weights though, I know someone here once posted a good routine for when you are on the road, push ups, chin ups etc. They would be nice to try to help stop losing muscle but I dont think they could really replace real weights enough for you to need to carb up.

But I might be completely wrong

yannick Sun, Feb-02-03 15:54

thanks for reply beaver

I do chins and pushups at least what i can do and have small dumbells at home 35 pounders, i dont have any bench or nothing.

I got into ketosis pertty fast this first week, my ketostix was deep purple, so i guess that means i got ride of all my stored glycogen right?

Swimming seems to help a lot because i feel a lot of my muscles pumped up after swimming.

Well for my first week i carbed up for 6 hours last night but manage to lose around 5 pounds, i was wrong about my start weight in was at 212 and now am around 205.

Thanks for the reply, i guess that doing what you said and take my time, i am in a hurry to lose my weight and shouldnt be, i should take my time.

Beaver Tue, Feb-04-03 13:28

well, just going into ketosis doesnt deplete muscle glycogen....strenuous activity does.

yannick Thu, Feb-06-03 05:48

Thanks for the reply Beaver

I will look into training but not with weights, i am still healing a back injury that accured well over a year ago.

I was a serious trainer before all of this happened.

I was training powerlifting style, heavy deadlifts, squats, chins, bench press, stainding military press overhead, but that is all over for me, i have learned that training this way will only lead to injuries.

My lifts where pertty good in the end, but my pelvic got twisted, both my front deltoid hurted from all the heavy training, i did a lot of damage to my spin training that way.

Before training that way i was training with a mix of machines and weights, i was using very average weights, still add a decent physique, i was around 185 pounds, no abs but no gut and lovehandle either.

I have decided to go back to this type of training, i have found a gym near my house that has many good machines, and i do think that by working muscles either with weights or machine you will get into ketosis.

I wont be able to go right away, i am still unemployed and have to watch my back, i guess that this has given me time to take care of my pelvic, and spin.

If everything goes well with osteopathic treatement and i do get the go from my therapist, and most important see if my budjet allows me to spend x amount of money on a membership then i will go.

Thanks for the advise i will keep you guys posted on the end result, been a week now and bodyweight has dropped 10 pounds, i can wait to carb-up.