Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Carbs in gelatine & Kool-Aid? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=81065)

MaryJo Sat, Jan-18-03 05:44

Carbs in gelatine & Kool-Aid?

How many carbs are in Knox unflavored gelatine? The box says 0, but we know that's not always the truth. I've looked it up at FitDay, Atkins and here and it's not listed.

The same is true for Kool-Aid packets--0 carbs on the packet.

I've been making my jello from unflavored gelatine, Kool-Aid and Stevia and not counting any carbs. It's so good, it has to have carbs! :p but I hope it doesn't.

Karen Sat, Jan-18-03 10:26

Plain gelatin is made from animal products so it contains no carbs. I'm unsure of the true count for SF Kool-Aid but the carbs would be miniscule.

A hint for searching fitday? If you are unsure of the spelling, type in the first few letters like g-e-l or g-e-l-a and you'll come up with some answers.

We also have a carb counter in Low-Carb Tools at the top of the page.

Karen

doreen T Sat, Jan-18-03 10:35

Unflavoured gelatin is pure protein, therefore has zero carbs :)

Koolaid powder .. the "unsweetened" kind in small thin packets .. does indeed have carbs. If you read the ingredients on the label, you'll see that it contains sugar. Just how much though isn't clear, and I can find no info. anywhere about it. Most carb counters give data for the prepared product, using added sugar according to the directions on the package, but not for the dry powder as sold.

I guesstimate 3g carbs for the whole package .. since sugar is the second ingredient on the label, after citric acid.

A whole package is too strong tasting for one batch of gelatin-dessert (at least to my tastebuds ;)). Each packet of unflavoured gelatin (or 1 Tbsp of powder if you buy in bulk) will set 2 cups of liquid. There is 1½ tsp Koolaid powder in each package (yes, I measured this). So ------ I mix ½ tsp Koolaid powder with the gelatin powder, then add 1 cup boiling water, stir till dissolved then add 1 cup cold water. I add the desired sweetener after dissolving. 1g carb total, plus whatever's in your chosen sweetener, if any.

hth,

Doreen

MaryJo Sat, Jan-18-03 19:35

Hi Karen and Doreen, thanks for your responses!

I make a large amount of jello at a time, using 4 packets of gelatine (I like my jello firm), the Kool-Aid packet, liquid Stevia, 1 cup of hot water and 4 cups of cold water.

Eating 1 to 1-1/2 cups a serving, sometimes twice a day, I haven't been counting any carbs. Not sure I will now either because I like knowing I have jello to fall back on as a "free" food of which I can eat as much as I want. It's very satisfying for me and nips hunger in the bud. So, the logical question then is why did I ask :daze: ...just wanted to know!

Thanks again for your kind responses.

mrabinow Sun, Jan-19-03 20:02

Hey....I make that jello and my Kool-Aid label does not contain sugar in the ingredients. Are you sure you do not have the sweetened kind.

See Ya
Mike

doreen T Mon, Jan-20-03 01:38

Quote:
Originally posted by mrabinow
Hey....I make that jello and my Kool-Aid label does not contain sugar in the ingredients. Are you sure you do not have the sweetened kind.

See Ya
Mike
Um, Positive :) It's definitely the powder to which you must add your own sweetener.

Perhaps the package you have lists "dextrose" instead of "sugar"? Or perhaps the formula sold in Canada is different?

Let's see ... Rasberry Lemonade .. ingredients: citric acid, natural and artificial flavour, tricalcium phosphate, sugar, sodium citrate, corn dextrin (also a carb), colour, gum arabic.

Cherry .. ingredients: citric acid, sugar, artificial flavour, tricalcium phosphate, colour, salt

why is there salt in Koolaid? :daze:

Doreen

MaryJo Mon, Jan-20-03 04:19

This is interesting!

Here in the US, my Cherry packet of Kool-Aid (Kraft Foods)contains:

Citric acid
Modified cornstarch
Calcium phosphate
Red 40
Salt
Aritifical flavor
Ascorbic Acid
Blue 1

doreen T Mon, Jan-20-03 09:55

That is too cool ... I knew the stuff was definitely packaged here, as the labels are in both english and french (required by law) ....

Just checked www.kraftcanada.com (Kraft makes Koolaid) ... according to the FAQ's
Quote:
... (many Kraft products made in Canada) are not exported to the U.S. Kraft companies throughout the world manufacture and distribute products that meet the demands and preferences of the consumers within their regions.
So it seems that the two countries have different formulae for the various products. And some Kraft products aren't even available in both places.

This would also explain why Canadian Philadelphia Cream Cheese, made by Kraft, has a higher carb count than in the US .. Here the count is 1.0g per Tbsp (15g/ ½ oz), while in the US the count is 1.0g per 2 Tbsp (30g/ 1 oz)

Doreen