Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Newbie/Alcohol/Advice (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=80499)

reubensito Wed, Jan-15-03 12:37

Newbie/Alcohol/Advice

Okay, so Im trying to drop 30 by summer, I have my set goal. Atkins allows me to eat and not be hungry.. So.. this being said, I also have an active social life. I go clubbing 2 times a week and the occasional drink out and about. So.. Im willing to cut the beer /mourn corona. But is say Diet coke and Rum okay? or just tequila shots? I need some advice... i hate wine, and well, if i go out and i dont drink im kinda too mellow than i want to be.

Also, i kinda screwed up my first week, i just started and did loose 3 pounds yay me! but im sure if i would have followed i would have worked out better.. SO my question is.. Is there an online guide to a typical grocery list? Like say i go to safeway, Obvious the meats and cheese, but what else do i go buy... what about snacks... im kinda winging it and i know im goofing it off a tad.. so just looking for help for a newbie with some weight loss goals and a new life like the rest

lkonzelman Wed, Jan-15-03 12:46

Well... this is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) things. Some people do well drinking alcohol and some peoples weightloss are stalled by it.

You really should at least go through induction without alcohol and then you can test yourself.

FYI: A body cannot burn fat while it is burning alcohol so you won't be burning fat when you drink.

If you are like me when I used to go out you are going to have trouble with this thought but jeez... sip a diet coke, dance (great exercise) and be straight enough to see if you really like the guy you are talking to! I wish I had. ;)

reubensito Wed, Jan-15-03 13:11

hhmmm diet coke eh.. well if i could put some rum in there it might work out =p. :daze: no im not an alchy, but if im out, it usually accompanies a drink or two.. sigh .. damn induction period of mine!

Oh yes I HATE WATER! lol.. :roll:

OH YES coffee question, a cup in the morning is it a bad thing? Or a latte even? no sugar of course..

lkonzelman Wed, Jan-15-03 14:59

Rum is low in carbs but you may stall.

Coffee - Once again it is YMMV thing. Some do well with caffeine and some people have insulin reactions that cause cravings or stalls. I haven't had an issue with coffee but I mostly do decaf. Just count the carbs (1 per cup plus 1 for each oz of cream... 1 for each packet artificial sweetner....). Latte is with milk and milk is a no no. Even if cream you want to control how much 1 oz= 1 carb....

Re: the drinking now that I see you.... maybe stay sober a night and see if you like her! ;)

kmwebb1967 Wed, Jan-15-03 15:16

There is a new beer out called Michelob ULTRA that has 2.6 grams of carbs per bottle. You might try that...make sure you keep count though.
I have had the same problem through my induction as we meet friends out at least a couple nights a week for an AWB (After Work Beer :D ) So I have switched from my usual Bud Light to this. It tastes fine too!
I do notice though that I lose better without.
Good Luck!
Kim :wave:

LadyBug555 Wed, Jan-15-03 15:58

I really dreaded giving up my afternoon wine or my peach vodka with diet 7 up.....but I have managed 10 days.....yey

:thup:

lkonzelman Thu, Jan-16-03 08:01

I don't want you all thinking i'm judging or a tea tottler (ha but I am sitting here drinking tea though) or that i'm not having a drink now and then but i'm only answering per best way to lose weight here.

The choices you make are ALWAYS your own.

And good for you LadyBug!

BrewWa Thu, Jan-16-03 10:21

Hi All,
Had to weigh in here. I agree with Ikonzelman, for me going cold turkey is best. I'm a homebrewer, so you know if I had a choice I'd be sipping on a pint of IPA. I realize that it sets back my progress. I've only had 4 beers in 4 1/2 months, none the first 3 months. I've also had a few JD and water drinks (none since New Years Eve). But, I know they can delay my progress also.

That being said, YOU have to decide what YOU want.

Good luck!

BrewWa