Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   FDA carb info: Less than 1 and Zero (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=80477)

jiskiyan Wed, Jan-15-03 10:15

FDA carb info: Less than 1 and Zero

Hi everyone.

In case anyone else was wondering about this, I contacted the FDA and got confirmation on what I thought about food labeling re: carbs. (I thought I had read this in an earlier posting perhaps on a different board here, but couldn't find it again... so I went on a mission and here is what I found out. Sorry if this is duplicate info.)

Carbs are stated by rounding to the nearest gram. "Less than 1 gram" may be used if the serving contains less than 1 gram. If the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content may be expressed as zero.

So... I interpret that to mean that "Zero" means 0 to .49 grams and that "less than 1" can mean anything under 1, but if I was a manufacturer and it was .49 or less, I'd say "Zero." (But, IMO, I doubt that every manufacturer is being perfect re: calculations for the food labeling so I know you can't believe everything you read.)

I have pasted the actual verbiage from the federal regs into a word document. If anyone is dying to see it (LOL), please let me know.

Take care.

Jill in Phoenix :wave:

P.S. Why did I check into this???? I am not new to low carbing as I did it several years ago, with good success, before getting pregnant. But I am starting up again via induction and since every carb counts (and I usually spend all 20 in a day) I wanted to know for sure about the less than 1 and zero thing! Okay, I'm a bit anal too! :D

DDMariana Wed, Jan-15-03 12:00

Good for you Jill...

This is important info...especially to someone like me who sees "ZERO" on the label and has a free for all!!

Remember, when you see a "ZERO" as a carb count, include it as a "HALF" or more in your daily count.

Twenty of something listed as a "ZERO" can actually add up to 10 grams of carbs!!! (Like those little creams, or a sweet and low, gum, etc.) Don't forget those...you'll wonder why you're not losing down the road...

:wave:

freydis Wed, Jan-15-03 23:17

Regardless of what is supposed to happen, I have found products which state they are 0 carbs, but they are above the half-carb mark in reality. I'd recommend using a carb counter if you are concerned.

jiskiyan Wed, Jan-15-03 23:53

Aren't carb counters more general in nature? I know they say that a certain item in a certain amount is suppose to be "x" number of carbs, but it seems to me that when I look in one book vs. another vs. a chart they all differ. To me, it makes more sense to use the labels. But maybe not..... :confused:

Lisa N Thu, Jan-16-03 08:17

A good rule of thumb is that if the label states "less than 1" or zero carbs per serving, but you know that it has some, count each serving as 1 gram. 1 or 2 grams of carb either way during a day aren't going to make or break you, either.