Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Reality Check (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=80418)

janemarie Wed, Jan-15-03 00:21

Reality Check

:(

Oh poop! Today I went for my yearly physical. I had not weighed before I started Atkins on Dec 20, but I guessed I was at about 165. Today the Dr. weighed me at 175.

I figured I'd lost about 7 pounds already. Man, that is a lousy reality check! I got quite depressed after stepping on the scale.

So, what I did was go and buy myself a scale, so no more surprises or guessing.

I'm wondering about the carb measurements in Atkins and another book I bought. Everything is measured in cups. I think this is too subjective for vegetables, and I also bought a food scale. Does anyone else have a problem with volume measurements as opposed to weight? :confused:

Thanks for the support everyone.
Jane

deb_o Wed, Jan-15-03 05:38

I know that my scale is always a few pounds lower than my doctor's! So... I go by the weight on MY scale! ;)

dsights Wed, Jan-15-03 06:11

I know how it is. Before I began this WOL I used to weigh myself at home quite regularly and I was always around 245-250. I know this is alot but for some reason under 250 was exceptable for me. Then in November I got sick and decided to go to the doctor. I stepped on the scale and it read 270 lbs. Of course the first thing I did was look around to see if there was someone else on the scale with me, but it was only me.

For me that was a turning point. Needless to say I bought a good digital scale and now I can track my weight consistantly.

Good luck.

slowday Wed, Jan-15-03 06:33

volume measurements

In most of the low carb vegetables I don't think you have to be too exact. I do use standard cup measurements when I'm putting my portion on my plate.

I use fitday.com to figure out carbs for things that don't fit well in measuring cups, like brocolli. Fitday will give you about four ways to figure the carbs in brocolli; cups, florets, spears, etc.

:idea: That's still kind of cumbersome, but you could always weigh the results and figure the carbs per ounce that way for almost any kind of odd shaped food.

slowday

janemarie Wed, Jan-15-03 09:45

Well, I guess the renewed vigor with which I practised the program yesterday helped.

My ketostix was a nice purply-pink this morning, and my new digital scale said 174. Yeah me! That is a pound since yesterday!

I will check out Fitday this morning.

Thanks everyone for the support. :p

Jane

jaykay Wed, Jan-15-03 12:09

Another thought - I'm guessing you weren't in the buff on the doctors scales! So your clothes will have been a few pounds.

The only true weight is no clothes, after a pee, rings off and breath in :lol:

Good news with the ketostix and well done on the pound gone - keep up the good work, take care, Jay :wave:

vbrowne Wed, Jan-15-03 12:32

I'm always heavier at the docs or the gym, so I go by my bathroom scales. I weigh first thing in the morning with no clothes, and only once a week, I'm trying for every two weeks, but I cave in.

catspaw Wed, Jan-15-03 20:00

It can be a shock

I didn't have a scale because I am living away from home temporarily and didn't want an extra when I get back. I had been using one at the gym I go to.

I'm in the military, and they weigh us in at least twice a year. Needless to say, their scales are (usually) calibrated and more accurate than home scales. Last time I had to get weighed I was shocked to find that the scale at the gym was weighing me 9 pounds lighter than the doc's scale. That is not a minor difference, especially considering what happens to you if you go over the military weight limit...

Bought a scale that day, and set it a few pounds high. Yikes.

Himo_VZ Wed, Jan-15-03 21:59

you can't gain 10 pounds from eating vegetables...
you've been cheating.