Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Why don't we measure at the beginning (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=80000)

claire2 Mon, Jan-13-03 13:20

Why don't we measure at the beginning

I have noticed that many of us did not take our measurements at the beginning of this WOE. Seems to me its because we can't really believe this WOE will work. I know it was about 2 weeks before I did. I have memories of so many past failures, staring with lists of weight and measurements that never went down. Now I can't wait to write on my food journal and tell myself how well I have been doing! I wish I would have had a friend trace around me on a big sheet of paper so that when I reach my goal I could have it done again - it would have been a wonderful permanent reminder of what finding the right WOE for me did!

Today I am celebrating another size lost, that makes 2 so far, 2 more to go. I treated myself to a very hip haircut and now my colleages are raving about how much younger I look. They saw now I look "10 years younger, around 30"(this is especially fun as I am really 50!)

Also I am noticing that my skin isn't sagging. (Did anyone see the horrific segment on some news show about the extensive plastic surgery some newly thin people must have? This was a segment about gastric bypass and people who had lost over 100 pounds. It was pretty scary looking) ANyway, I think my skin has time to snap back and I am also exercising, which helps as well. I am curious about those out there on this forum who have lost over 50 pounds. What are your experiences?

As always, thanks to everyone who posts. I learn new things every day and get a lot of inspiration here.

lkonzelman Mon, Jan-13-03 13:52

Hi.... I did take measurements but not for a while. Seems everytime I feel the inclination to retake the measurements its TOM and I cave to water retention fears. Like this week. ;)

But I started this WOE on Sept 18th and i'm down 4-5 sizes depending on the cut of pants!

FYI - I lost my big amount of weight about a decade ago which was my mid twenties. I have continued to workout (taking the occassional break now and again over the years) but I have no hanging skin. Stretchmarks that are barely visible and a body that although i'm still not that happy with it because I need to tone more.... does not appear to have ever been obese to outsiders.

yvonne326 Mon, Jan-13-03 13:59

I take my measurements every 2-3 months to see my progression and I keep it in my handy journal. It gives me motivation to keep on going. Since starting I went from a tight 16/18 to a tight 11/12 (31 lbs lost) and just putting on jeans that I haven't worn in a while and having them literally fall of my butt makes me want to measure even more....its the only thing (other than the scale) that keeps me going :)

freydis Mon, Jan-13-03 16:13

Re: Why don't we measure at the beginning

Quote:
Originally posted by claire2
I have noticed that many of us did not take our measurements at the beginning of this WOE. Seems to me its because we can't really believe this WOE will work. I know it was about 2 weeks before I did. I have memories of so many past failures, staring with lists of weight and measurements that never went down.

I think you are exactly right. I certainly never believed that this way of eating would do anything more for me than past diets. I had to try it and have the proof behind me before I could believe my life might be different in the future. I still haven't measured, but I could measure myself against the pants I wore before I started. (I'm still wearing them, but they're much more loose now.)