Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   List a few of your favorite things (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=77578)

AnnetteW Wed, Jan-01-03 07:39

List a few of your favorite things

What tools or foods or other things do you find most helpful in following this WOE.

Here's my list
  • 2T coffee measurer for SF syrup, cream, flax and bran, etc.
  • cut butter into 1 T chunks and stick in a ziplock bag to use as needed
  • celery and cheese is my most successful snack
  • 2-3 T oil, plus 1-2 t. vinegar, a bit of salt and pepper, mix...makes the best salad dressing
I'm sure I'll think of more as the day progresses.

DoubleD Wed, Jan-01-03 09:56

• Whipped cream with splenda in my NO2 cream whipper - instant "healthy" whipped cream for my SF jello!
  • Cooking large amounts of various meats and meat salads and boiled eggs on Sunday for eating all through the week.
  • Buying tubs of pre diced onions and tri-colored peppers - so I can just scoop some into a pan or salad and keep my veggies up!
  • Planning my meal for the next day on Fitday... and then packing my lunch at that time for the next day.

Moon Wed, Jan-01-03 10:47

My favorite thing right now is eating eggs without having that cholesterol demon in the back of my mind, now that I know the truth.

Moon

liz175 Wed, Jan-01-03 10:54

I always keep bags of lettuce (pre-washed and cut), red peppers, and cucumbers in the refrigerator, and cans of tuna in the cupboard, so I can throw together a quick, satisfying salad if I get hungry. (I put the tuna on top of the salad for protein and to help fill me up.) I've also started pre-mixing olive oil and vinegar with some herbs and storing that in the refrigerator, so I have a salad dressing ready to go that doesn't contain anything artificial (I've pretty much given up on store bought dressings -- they don't even taste good to me anymore). With these things already prepared, I can put together a healthy meal for myself in less than 5 minutes when I am in a hurry (which, as a full-time employed mother of two I often am!).

The other thing I always try to do is cook extra meat or chicken when I make dinner. I then use the extras to top my salad at other meals. However, this doesn't always work because my 17-year-old son often gets to the extra meat before I do!

DDMariana Wed, Jan-01-03 12:46

Annette...never thought of pre-cutting the butter...great idea. I'm careful about portion control now, never used to be.

I really like being able to open the fridge and grab a handful of pre-chopped lettuce and anything else I can prepare and ziplock.

Now I'm buying and cooking a whole roast or turkey or ham...then slice and freeze. Since it's just me, a few slices pulled out of the freezer and heated up works great.

:wave:

sharann Wed, Jan-01-03 13:20

I keep ziplock bags of 1 oz of macadamia nuts in my purse before I leave for work or anywhere.
I keep a bag of pre-washed baby spinach in the fridge at all times.
Always have those HB eggs on hand.
Never run out of cheese (munster,feta,jack)
Diet SwissMiss Hot choc for a treat
My own LC pudding as a treat made w/cream cheese and diluted cream.
Lately sunflower seeds in shell have kept me busy(but I never seem to get anywhere with them_)

Nems Wed, Jan-01-03 18:19

Funny thing....when I read this topic I thought of some favorite things to do... not favorite things/food to help me with this woe. :D

What a change of thinking for me. My favorite thing to do is to spend time with my son, Michael. He doesn't live with me so whenever I get to be with him, it's wonderful. He's 16 now and growing up so fast. We were together over the holidays which made it so special. We talk about twice a day and have always been real close. Where does the time go?

The tips I have read, by the way, are great!

Happy New Year everyone :dazzle:

Tams531 Thu, Jan-02-03 19:32

My crockpot is wonderful........I make brisket, chicken and roast beef in it.......all of which can be stored and eaten throughout the week. The cooking is simple, throw it in, voila, a few hours later a sumptious meal! The clean up is simple, just one pot to clean!