Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Am I doing this right? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=76061)

fatinfl Thu, Dec-19-02 13:09

Am I doing this right?

I have been on induction for 3 1/2 weeks and have only lost 6 lbs. I go to the gym at least 3 times a week and do 30 min. of carido and various weight machines. I haven't cheated and am very careful about what I eat. I usually skip breakfast because I just don't want to eat then. I drink ALOT of water throught the day. Help! I am getting frustrated!!!!!!

Nicci23 Thu, Dec-19-02 13:13

Yeah! Me too! I don't get it? Doe this diet not work for some body types?

fatinfl Thu, Dec-19-02 13:15

I don't know about that but I wonder if my problem may be do to HRT.

Nicci23 Thu, Dec-19-02 13:17

What is HRT?

fatinfl Thu, Dec-19-02 13:20

hormone replacment therapy. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago and started gaining right away.

lkonzelman Thu, Dec-19-02 13:49

I don't know about the HRT - maybe someone else will comment.

But congrats on the 6 lbs! How many inches have you lost???- this would be key here especially with the muscle you have been building with the exercise.

VERY Important to this question you ask is putting down your menus in your journal. This will tell us a lot.

Are you eating enough.... Are you eating 10X-12X your weight in calories a day? Are you eating enough natural fiber ... ie., veggies? Are you doing things that are known to cause stalls for some (lc bars, diet sodas, alcohol, nuts, artificial sweetners, too much cheese or salt)?

As I said until we know what you are eating?????

fatinfl Thu, Dec-19-02 14:00

I didn't measure myself in the beggining (didn't want to know), but my husband says he can tell a difference. (liar) I eat 3 cups of salad every day. fresh spinich or green leaf lettuce. I thought maybe i was eating too much cheese so i cut back on that. I do have a few wine spritzers in the evening.(blush wine with club soda). For dinner i have either broiled chicken breast or fish. Anyway I cant' quit. I want this too badly. I'm glad that I found this site. Outside support really helps!

lkonzelman Thu, Dec-19-02 14:13

Ok since i'm still working a little in the dark here... I can only offer advice from the info you have given me.

1) MEASURE YOURSELF TODAY so we have a start point.
2) UP YOUR CALORIES FOR A BIT ADD FAT TO YOUR DIET - butter on veggies, cook your meats w/ olive oil. Believe it or not this really works for me and others. Dressings preferred are caesar, ranch or blue cheese are usually 2 carbs or less per serving.
3) TRY TO CUT DOWN THE ALCOHOL - you need to realize that when your body burns alcohol it can't burn fat - this may be your slow down here.

And please start a journal... we will all be here for you. You are going to look and feel incredible!!!

lkonzelman Thu, Dec-19-02 14:17

Hey!!! I revoke my last post. You see I looked at your stats again and you have to have realistic expectations.

Induction expect to lose 10% of your goal to lose. So you started with a goal of 45 lbs so that would be 4.5lbs for the first two weeks.

Then each week after 5% of the rest of the goal to lose so you are actually right on track girl!!!

Lisa N Thu, Dec-19-02 14:27

Quote:
Originally posted by lkonzelman
[ Then each week after 5% of the rest of the goal to lose so you are actually right on track girl!!!

It's actually 5% of what you still need to lose each month after induction, or about 2 lbs per month in your case. Those that seem to lose weight very quickly are usually those that start off needing to lose a lot of weight (often 100 lbs or more). I've been following low carb for about 19 months now and have been averaging about 4 lbs. per month. It's not quick, but when I consider that I could have been gaining at that rate instead of losing, I'm not going to complain. Patience and persistence are the name of the game. :)

fatinfl Thu, Dec-19-02 14:31

Thanks for the replies! I feel better now:) Here's a dumb question: How do I start a journal?

lkonzelman Thu, Dec-19-02 14:38

Go to the bottom of the page and arrow down in Forum Jump to Journals. Read the rules and start a thread there. You will just create with the name you choose and keep on posting replies to that same thread which will be yours.

Good luck to you and I will visit to check on you....

fatinfl Thu, Dec-19-02 14:51