Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Audette, Veggies and Green tea...... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=74516)

HSmom Sun, Dec-08-02 18:51

Audette, Veggies and Green tea......

I was "with" Audette until he stated it's hard to get 5 servings of veggies a day, so to have green tea instead. :confused:

That seemed "off" to me. Eating meat, nuts and veggies, I would get a TON of veggies.

Has that part of the book been challenged or addressed?

BTW, I'm eating my veggies *and* drinking green tea. :D

Karen Sun, Dec-08-02 19:07

When I read the paragraph, I see that he is quoting the USDA Pyramid guidelines incorrectly. The guidelines are 3-5 servings of vegetables and 2-4 servings of fruit. If that's what he had in mind when making the recommendation, I can see why he would say that it could be difficult to get all this in while following a low-carbohydrate diet like Neanderthin. He offers green tea as a compromise.

But, I agree that the way it's written seems a little wacky. :daze:

Karen

razzle Thu, Dec-12-02 11:20

I don't 100% agree with some of Audette's allegations (cashews and vinegar seem paleo to me).

If you work it out logically, in mid latitude zones, there would be less veggie eating in winter when there are less veggies--carrots and the equivalent of kale would be eaten repeatedly, no doubt. In the height of the summer, fruits and veggies would be plentiful and therefore eaten in large amounts (although lots of fruit might also provide a slight weight gain to help people survive the coming winter). Of course, we did much of our evolution in pretty tropical zones, right along the ocean, with fish, seafood, and fruits always available. I therefore wouldn't sweat the details, as you can logically justify many choices.

captxray Wed, Mar-12-03 16:31

What do you think?

Using that scenario might explain why I've gained 8 pounds this winter even though I have not eaten any of his "forbidden fruits" for over a year. I eat salad, fruit, red, white meat and fish, nuts, etc. But, I have managed to put on 8 pounds! I originally lost all of the weight, then stopped losing last September. Nothing I did would cause my body to give up another ounce. I even went on Atkins' first two weeks plan...nothing...didn't even turn the sticks a darker shade of neutral! then, about two months ago, I started putting on weight! What?!!! Yep! I think it may be because it's Winter and my body naturally is conserving. What do you think? Otherwise, I'm flummaxed.

kjturner Thu, Mar-13-03 05:46

There are those who also feel one should eat according to what one's ancestors ate in the region where they logically originated. In a nutshell, if your ancestors are from the Pacific Rim then the tropical diet should work best for you; if your ancestors are from colder regions such as northern Europe then you'd only eat what would have been available to them and only in season. For example, being diabetic I can't really handle fruit well, except for when they are in season. Strawberries in season have virtually no effect upon my blood sugar--even if I eat two pints in one sitting! But out of season...a couple of small ones will have an effect. I can't eat bananas at any time (despite the fact I used to love them) but they are something NONE of my Scottish/English/German ancestors would have eaten. So IMHO I think there is something to that idea. (I have also noticed I crave nuts in fall and winter and they have no effect on my blood sugar, but I can't eat them in summer. I do best on walnuts, filberts and almonds. I can't eat cashews or brazil nuts, but pistachios are apparently OK. Go figure.

Lobstergal Thu, Apr-15-04 22:05

[QUOTE=razzle]I don't 100% agree with some of Audette's allegations (cashews and vinegar seem paleo to me).

Cashews are highly toxic in thier raw form so therefore they are not paleo.

Vinegar is processed but since I never use it due to yeast issues, I do not worry about it.

arcticslug Fri, Apr-16-04 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by captxray
Using that scenario might explain why I've gained 8 pounds this winter even though I have not eaten any of his "forbidden fruits" for over a year. I eat salad, fruit, red, white meat and fish, nuts, etc. But, I have managed to put on 8 pounds! I originally lost all of the weight, then stopped losing last September. Nothing I did would cause my body to give up another ounce. I even went on Atkins' first two weeks plan...nothing...didn't even turn the sticks a darker shade of neutral! then, about two months ago, I started putting on weight! What?!!! Yep! I think it may be because it's Winter and my body naturally is conserving. What do you think? Otherwise, I'm flummaxed.

Captxray:

For me, the winter brings on a natural weight gain every year. I hate it, but it seems to happen regardless of anything I do. 8 pounds isn't a huge deal. I gain around 10-15 every winter and then it comes off every summer. I believe there are a couple of reasons for this. The first reason is I eat more. I'm just HUNGRIER! I will eat many large meals a day in the colder darker months. In the summer I will only eat twice a day, sometimes lighter meals. Even if you don't notice eating more it is likely that you do. I'll always finish my plate etc. The second reason is exercise. It's harder to get exercise in the winter, and we sleep more. Instead of going out to play a game of soccer or throw a frisbee after dinner, I will just read and then go to bed! Even the act of sitting around late talking to friends on warm summer evenings burns more calories than sleeping. Plus I suspect that the body just likes to hold onto weight in the summer. I wonder if we produce more insulin in the winter which leads to more cravings? Not sure!

captxray Fri, Apr-16-04 10:29

I agree with you, arcticslug

I tend to agree with you. I have noticed, lately that I have been eating more...all of the right foods, but more, even then. I work hard at three jobs and exercise in the mornings, but I get more in the summer when I'm hiking in the Cascades or the High Sierras every chance I get and even riding my bike ocassionally. And, the work at the Home Depot really pciks up in the Spring and Summer months...I work in the Garden area and that is the most physical work at the Depot...lifting blocks into trucks and onto trailers, etc. and hauling bags of manure, and potting soil and plants...it's very physical and I don't seem to eat as much, either. Just don't seem to have that voracious appetite in the warmer weather.