Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Vegetables! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=74235)

Redfallon Fri, Dec-06-02 16:51

Vegetables!

Been looking to add vegetables to my intake. The hard thing is that there are not many vegetables that I like, and the ones that I do like are usually high in carbs. I just bought some romaine lettuce and celery - both were :thdown: I guess I'll just have to find the ones that I can eat. I also looked up the carb counter in the tools section. That will help a lot. I like cucumbers, and to have a cup of those is like 2-3g so not too bad! It's just hard to find vegetables that I actually will like to eat that are low in carb. The meat part is easy. I like tomatoes also. I will have to really watch the vegetables though, because I can see myself going over my carb limit on those, also. I love cucumbers, red tomatoes, and iceberg lettuce. I can make a salad with that, but I can see myself overloading on it and easily going over my 20g of carbs for Induction!

From the carb counter, I found red tomatoes at 8.72g per cup (6.37g minus fiber), iceberg lettuce at 1.15g per cup (0.38g minus fiber), cucumber (peeled,raw) at 2.98g per cup (2.15g minus fiber) = 8.9g of carbs. That's nearly half of what I'm to have per day! Well, hmmm guess I could have a salad with none or 1/2 cup of tomato, and add some chopped up ham to it.

I will just have to keep experimenting and see what I like.

jesdorka Fri, Dec-06-02 17:11

with vegetables it is better to weigh them rather than go by cups. 8oz of lettuce is a lot vs a cup. a small food scale is ideal for this.

hth :)

KatieB Fri, Dec-06-02 18:11

Jamie:

Believe me, I know right where you are coming from! I, too, really don't like vegetables. Here are some things I have worked out.

I will eat celery so cream cheese on celery sticks is a good snack for me. For salad unfortunately iceberg lettuce doesn't have near enough of the vitamins and etc that you need. I have found green leaf lettuce tastes just about the same. it works for me. Lately I needed to add potassium (I can't take the pills - they upset my stomach). Fresh spinach leaves are not bad. Once again, they don't have hardly any taste. I started making my salad with 2/3 green leaf lettuce and 1/3 fresh spinach. - it's not bad. Then I discovered butter lettuce. You really ought to check that one out - it's mellow tasting and very good. I add tomatoes and use ranch dressing. I also top my salad with bits of cheese beause I really donot care for tuna or hard boiled eggs on my salad.

While I truly don't like squash, brocolli, califlower, etc, i have found that green beans cooked with some bacon is pretty good.

I know it's hard to get enough veggies. You really need the green leaf stuf ffor calcium and potassium. Give those I mentioned a try. I also use a salad spinner to remove the water from the washed leaves. I clean and spin the leaves ahead of time and keep them in a sealed container in the fridge.

Katie