Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Whey Proteins: Concentrate? Isolate? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=71661)

HeyJude Wed, Nov-20-02 09:33

Whey Protein

I have seen some recipe's that call for whey protein. I don't know what it is. I did see a huge container of it at the health food store for $30.00. I did not buy it not knowing if I would use much of it. Is that something that can be substitued in recipes?
HeyJude :confused:

Red Thu, Nov-21-02 15:58

Oh I hope that you can help me. Would whey powder and whey protein powder be the same?? The protein powder is about 6x the price of the whey powder that I found in bulk at the health food store, but it has no mention of protien, and of course, no one at the store can help. How frustrating!! :mad:
I want to use it to replace the whey protein powder in some recipes.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

IslandGirl Thu, Nov-21-02 19:40

Greetings, you two. Welcome to our forum!

You will be doing a lot of reading in the near future and I can help a bit, but first I want to recommend you consider having a good look in the Kitchen forum as well as browse this Products forum you originally posted your questions to.

Lots of people have discussed all the same things you are interested in learning about, right here. You can benefit from reading those discussions where your questions have already been asked and answered :D a few zillion times (okay, maybe not a zillion, but LOTS :wave:

That's two forums to dig through and that's a lot for starters. There's also the SEARCH feature on the upper right of your screen, I recommend that fairly soon.

Meanwhile, I'll give you some of the basic short answers, and THEN I'm going to move this post to the Kitchen Forum which is probably the best place to start for you.

Soooooo, here's the deal. If it's a low-carb recipe, then it's asking for a whey protein isolate powder. Whey Protein Isolate is ONLY the protein part of whey, which would normally include lots of lactose (milk sugar) otherwise.

NOT to be confused with Whey Powder or Whey Concentrate , both of which are MUCH higher carb (and you don't want that). If it's not clear on the label which of these whey powders it is, just check the carbohydrate count per serving, it should be SOMETHING like 1 to 3 grams carbohydrate per serving size of anywhere from 25 or more grams of product. If you're still in doubt, ask the Health Food Store people (who know their business) if it's this stuff is low carbohydrate (less than 3g per serving) whey protein isolates -- they should be able to easily help.

Hope that helps you?

PS: yes, quality protein is ALWAYS more expensive than cheap sugar or starch, that's why the market is FULL of cheap sugary or starchy snacks. It's okay, the protein goes a LOT further to making you feel healthier and skinnier...

HeyJude Thu, Nov-21-02 20:40

Whey

Thanks Island girl,
I appreciate the answer and also will read posts. There is so much on this web site, I didn't know where to begin. It is really most helpful with my diet.
Thanks again.
Hey Jude :cheer:

Red Thu, Nov-21-02 22:08

Whey

Thankyou Island Girl!
I have been hangin in the kitchen forum quite a bit, but hadn't found the answer to that one yet (lots of others though)
This is a wonderful place, and I have a feeling the time I spend here will only increase!!