Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Some questions plus a rant! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=71232)

LaneyBeth Sun, Nov-17-02 21:24

Some questions plus a rant!

Okay, So I have been doing this WOL for over a month now. At first I lost a lot of weight which was to be expected (water weight etc.) And now it has been two weeks and I haven't lost anything and I am trying to get over my "the scale has to move or it isn't worth it" type of mentality but it is really hard. Add to that I am having a really hard time keeping my body "regular" with bm's and such and this is just really kind of sucking.

BUT, I feel stupid ranting b/c I know it isn't a stall and that 20 pounds in a month is really really good and I have to expect my body to take time to adjust etc etc etc.

So, I have been thinking about what I have been doing the past two weeks and I realized I haven't been drinking enough water, so that is were I am going to start. Plus, I haven't been going and toning as much as I was the first few weeks, so I am going to start back on that.

I am really trying to convince myself that this WOL is the best thing to do, but right now it is really hard. I have never had as much success as I have had with this, and I am trying to focus on the positive, but I have always been such a scale focused person so this is hard.

I know this is really long, but if you all have any suggestions for how to deal with these feelings and with the lack of weight loss, I would be really happy to hear them. Thanks so much:)

agonycat Sun, Nov-17-02 21:29

Hey Laney ;)

I have a silly question for you.

Before you started Atkin's, how many times did you step on the scale? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month? Hardly ever?

For me it was hardly ever. Then I started Atkin's and it's been a daily thing. Don't ask me why, but it's a thing that comes with the word diet I think :lol:

Hide your scale for a while. Stay off the darned thing. 19 months later, I am down 50 pounds. Yes it is worth the effort to stay on the diet. Reason being if I wasn't on Atkin's I would probably still be gaining weight.

JennyK Sun, Nov-17-02 22:45

Congratulations!!

LaneyBeth, My goodness, you're doing fantastic!! Did you notice that on your profile it's telling you that you're a third to your goal?! That's great!

It sounds like you know logically what to do - water, exercise, and like agonycat says, give the scales a rest for awhile. Why don't you stay off for a week (or a month ;) !) and do what you have planned and then see what they say? You may be pleasantly surprised!

Remember, time will pass, regardless... in little more than a month it will be 2003. We can do what we know is best for our health and know that the weight will come off in time, or we can give up and be in the same position we're in today, this time next year. It's up to us.

By the way, I'm an Okie too. :) It's nice to see a "neighbor" here. Good luck to you, Jenny

kjturner Mon, Nov-18-02 05:31

JennyK,
I saw a cute tee-shirt with a variation of your quote "God first, family second, then it's between the dog and you" <g>

MayLisa Mon, Nov-18-02 08:23

Dear Laney: I agree with others' advice about hiding the scale. I weigh myself ONLY once a month. I've lost at least 5 lbs every month on Atkins, and sometimes as much as 12 lbs. I know this works because I've lost over 50 lbs in five months, when it took me a whole year to lose 30 lbs in 1997 on a low-fat diet!

I need to see big losses. So I stay away from the scale entirely, except for my once-a-month weigh in. This way, I don't see the little ups and downs that naturally occur on a daily basis. Also, another little trick I have is that three days before I weigh, I am REALLY careful about what I eat. I will either go back to induction for those days, or I will do a fat fast. That way, I am assured a significant weight drop when I check the scale. This works for me, because I am a NUT about the scale, and I really need to see the validation of the scale going down. But that's just me.

Whatever you decide to do, please don't jump on the scale frequently. It will only drive you nuts! Also, take your measurements. And drink lots of water. Good Luck!

LaneyBeth Mon, Nov-18-02 10:56

Thank you all for your replys. I don't weigh everyday, I already knew that weakness of mine, so my husband hid the scale somewhere and he only gets it out for me on Sundays, while I am in the shower and can't hear him do it. Maybe I should stay off it for the next month, although I am not sure I can do that.

I know I should be thrilled with 20 pounds down, it is just hard to work your mind around to a more healthier attitude. My dh said to me yesterday afer I weighed "Congratulations, you didn't gain anything and that is the most important thing, even more important than losing". I guess I should try and think of it more like him.

Again, thanks for all your support, any additional wisdom is always appreciated.

Mattsgram Mon, Nov-18-02 11:36

We can be so tough on ourselves...........and that darn scale plays mind games with us, so I only weigh myself once a week. I have had weeks where I've gained a pound or more, but in the long run ( 14 weeks, thus far), I have dropped17+ pounds. To me, each day is an adventure in fixing different lo carb foods and that's what I concentrate on. I'm amazed when I look back over the past 14 weeks and see how far I've come - and the only thing I've done is stuck to the lo carb way of life.
Wishing you future success as the pounds float away!!
Kay

JennyK Mon, Nov-18-02 12:14

kjturner...

That is cute!! LaneyBeth, I wish continued success to you. Jenny