Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What triggers your "cheat" glands? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=71137)

jude Sun, Nov-17-02 10:36

What triggers your "cheat" glands?

....and how do you resist?

For me, its a combination of letting myself get really hungry and having none of the "good stuff" immediately at hand. Like the other day....slept in, forgot lunch and broke....ended up buying Tim Horton's chicken noodle soup. I did remove all the noodles and carrots, but it sure wasn't a very satisfying lunch.

Planning, planning, planning....that's the most important trick doing LC.

Another trigger for me is just having certain foods in the
house. If its there, I want to eat it. That's the main reason I still haven't made some of the desserts in the recipe section here. How can I eat just one or two peanut butter cups?

Walmart sells macadamia nuts in a resealable bag (can't remember the brand, but the bag is turquoise) and they are so deliciously fresh....I ate the whole bag in two days--and its a big bag. Maybe next time, I could repackage them in small plastic bags--but I'd still know they were there (how long does it take for nuts in the freezer to thaw?).

judy

Kristine Sun, Nov-17-02 12:15

Pretty much the same for me - if it's there, I want it. I just try to keep it out of reach. I usually forget about it pretty quickly.

Sometimes I 'crave' something when I'm sitting here at the computer. I used to munch constantly while online. :rolleyes: Snack crackers and such. It's a hard habit to break.

Janice Tue, Nov-19-02 12:59

What triggers my cheat glands?

My impending menstuation!!

Janice

freydis Fri, Nov-22-02 13:41

I know this is general LCing, but Dr. Atkins recommends that you don't go more than 6 waking hours without eating *something*, even if it's a small snack, even if you're not hungry, just to avoid situations like the one described above. Hunger binging is a lot more avoidable when I remember that rule.

However, there are certain foods I simply cannot have before me or I will eat them, regardless of my mindset beforehand. Baked tortilla shells, sweet potatoes/yams, and some chocolate desserts are just beyond my ability to control - at least for now.

tofi Tue, Nov-26-02 07:11

Fatigue, stress, emotional upsets, and not planning. But LC helps me keep on a more even keel.

:wave:

TeresaV Tue, Nov-26-02 07:19

I live north of Toronto. Is there any other low carb foods that you have found in grocery stores or other stores? I've just finished my 2nd week and have been doing well. I lost 13lbs! I'm so happy about this. I want to stick with it and hopefully not sway too much. I know there will be times when I'll be tempted to cheat. So far I've popped a piece of Excel gum in my mouth or had a 1/2 can of diet coke, when I've wanted a sweet taste. Yesterday, I had some raspberries sweetened with a little Splenda and Whipped Cream sweetened with Splenda. What a treat.

Lessara Tue, Nov-26-02 11:41

My thing

I'm very tempted by carbs when I'm either:
1. At a party
2. At a game
3. At a family dinner

At a party usually there isn't any low carb choices unless you are lucky to have a veggies with dip plate. Last time I was at a party I brought nuts and they were gone in 30 minutes! :eek:
I even mentioned that I couldn't eat carbs and that's why I brought the nuts but everyone wanted a nibble :rolleyes:

At a game, everyone again brings candy and cookies and stuff. The weirder or newer the product the better. I finally fixed this problem by bringing in celery and cream cheese and I dip the celery into the cream cheese with chives and even double dip.
No one wants some :D But I do feel left out. :(

At a family dinner, my parents and my sisters tell me either a) How I'm doing the Atkin diet wrong or b) How I'm going to have kidney, or liver failure if I don't go off the diet (which of course starts a fight in my family :rolleyes: ) I end up just eating the meat course and eating dinner at my own home. ;)

alibubble Tue, Nov-26-02 15:15

TOM...I crave chocolate.
Eating cream cheese takes the urge away.

If I haven't planned my meals and got the right foods in...
I make sure that I plan my meals at least 2 days ahead, it's the only way I can do this WOE, especially lunches at work.

Ali

Atrsy Wed, Nov-27-02 16:55

One bite of ice cream and I'm lost. I could eat the whole half gallon and then look for something else to eat.

As for why I cheat--let me count the ways: boredom, stress, lonely, guests, happiness, sadness, etc. I think one of the most demanding triggers is simply sight! If I see it, I want it, I can taste it, and can smell it, and I have no will power over it.

How's that for a confession? I'm ready for the shrink's couch.

amieK Fri, Nov-29-02 12:12

One word.....

chocolate!

amieK Fri, Nov-29-02 12:14

How do I resist?

hopefully by remembering white sugar is POISON! :skull:

PoofieD Fri, Nov-29-02 19:20

Yup.. you all mentioned mine..

I first have to have not planned ahead.. didn't eat my meals or snacks..
Then if its my period..boom.. little thoughts come to me that I would like that piece of cake of course!
and chocolate.. is dangerous if all that has come together
As long as I plan and stay planning.. I do fine..
That means.. meals.. and snacks.. and time them right now by the clock..
Poofie!

asugar Fri, Nov-29-02 20:52

What triggers my "cheat glands" is cheating! :eek: I haven't really had an all out binge since I started lowcarbing but I know that allowing myself that first bite of a forbidden carby food is very dangerous for me.
asugar :wave:

Renee110 Sat, Nov-30-02 08:32

Breathing seems to do it for me!! :p

Seriously, TOM is about the only time I want sweets.

SlimShAdY Sun, Dec-01-02 09:32

I cheat when I'm depressed, bored, sometimes PMS.. Eck :rolleyes: