Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Thyroid Disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Non-medical interventions: what are you doing to support your thyroid function? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=70999)

slim gym Sat, Nov-16-02 10:41

Non-medical interventions: what are you doing to support your thyroid function?

I would be interested in learning what others are doing to support healthy thyroid function, outside of taking a prescribed dose of a thyroid medication.

Thanks

Jaden313 Sat, Nov-16-02 11:03

Hey

I personally take Kelp, Parsley & Goldenseal. Bugleweed is beneficial for over-active thyroid.

You may want to check these sites.
http://www.egregore.com/diseases/hypothyroidism.html
http://www.herbalmanac.com/symptoms.html

Natrushka Sat, Nov-16-02 11:07

Slim, a year ago I had test results that showed an underactive thyroid and I had a consistenly low rising body temp. I did some research and added a few supplements to my diet, most noticeabley guggulipids (guggulesterones) and green tea extract. I made sure I kept calories above estimated BMR (basal metabolic rate) and I cycled an ECA stack to help further increase metabolism.

Thyroid activity tends to downgrade as you lose weight - it's a build in safety mechanism from years of evolution to prevent wasting away. I took up lifting heavy weights at that time to help maintain and build more lean muscle, to increase metabolism and fuel needs as well.

I have since incorporated a 'refeed / carb up' (a la CKD) into my current regime to keep my body from thinking I'm 'dieting' and to help maintain leptin levels (the starvation hormone). Carbs are thermogenic - when I do this refeed my body temp goes through the roof and after the water bloat leaves the fat starts to come off again at a steadier pace. Some of this is explained in a few posts around the board by Trainerdan; it is also covered in his latest book (for which there is a thread in the General Exercise forum).

Something must be working; my most recent tests (Nov 1st) show my TSH and T4 in the 'normal' range.

HTH
Nat

slim gym Sat, Nov-16-02 12:20

Hi Jaden, did you notice we are both from Tampa? Nice to meet you. Thanks a bunch for the links. They will be a big help for this question as well as in the future. Are you familiar with iherb? Their site has alot of information about herbs and supplements, as well as pretty good brands and pricing. I use Kyogreen daily, which contains kelp.

Nat, the whole CKD thing looks overwhelming to me. I understand the premise and I think it would be good for me to try but I hesitate because my last foray into the world of carbohydrates with Body For Life reversed some of my learned resistence to that (evil ;) ) class of foods. It is great to read that it is working for you. Mind you, CKD has not been ruled out, but perhaps when I am closer to goal.

Jaden313 Sat, Nov-16-02 23:54

Hey!

Slim Gym,
Hey, I live in Northdale/Carrollwood area. Yeah, actually I buy all of my hard to find supplements from IHerb.com if thats what you are referring to. You're close, what area?

slim gym Sun, Nov-17-02 06:32

I live near Citrus Park Mall. I love iHerb; my other favorite is vitaglo, but you really need to know what you want already at vitaglo because they do not have the wealth of information that iHerb has.

Nice to meet ya! :wave:

Jaden313 Tue, Nov-19-02 22:51

Hey!

Slim Gym,
Vitaglo doesn't give any info on supplements. Actually, I'm waiting a on shipment, from them, (Hydroxycut & Pantothenic acid) as we speak. Anyway, just wanted to say hey!

I live across from Nutrition S'mart (nice place). You may want to check it out. Corner of Ehrlich & N Dale Mabry.

P.S. Don't know if you're into the sportsbar atmosphere (I personally love Hockey & Boxing) You should give Smokey Bones BBQ a try. It's excellent & so many low-carb choices. (across from the mall)

emmakateuk Tue, Dec-03-02 07:59

I've just read your mail about non-medical alternatives to treating thyroid imbalances and wanted to tell you about my positive experiences.
I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 2 months ago after going to the doctors thinking i had PCOS. After many bad experiences with the medical profession I decided to go and see a professional homoeopath who prescribed a trio of remedies that fitted my symptoms : Calc Carb 30c, Sepia 30c and Thyroidinum 30c.
After 2 days I felt like I was fighting the flu (this is natural after being treated as your body is "throwing stuff out") but after the first week I started to feel great. My energy levels increased in a big way and I have now lost 9lbs without dieting - even eating the odd carb now and again !!
I'm now only taking the thyroidinum 30 once a day and I still feel great.
Good luck!! :roll:

margarita1 Thu, Mar-20-03 07:17

what is a homepathy doctor

I would like to know if there are any side effects for you right now and if you are still happy with it ?

Please advise