Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Chinese Food? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=69118)

Dazy Mon, Nov-04-02 12:53

Chinese Food?

What would be a good thing to order from a chinese take out?
Anything relativly low in carbs?
Egg foo young and egg drop soup o.k.?
Thanks!
-Dazy

lkonzelman Mon, Nov-04-02 12:57

Good question and I hope you get some good replies on this one.

I get the egg foo youngs too without rice or gravy (only add soy sauce) or steamed meat/veggies and add soy sauce.

I believe that egg drop soup has corn starch in it - it appears thickend.

Actually I think they add cornstarch to all there stir frys to thicken which is why I am too scared to have the sauce on the side ordering.

Hopefully my paronoia is just that and all kinds of options will be posted here...

lkonzelman Mon, Nov-04-02 12:58

Still waiting.....

Any other choices???

lperk002 Mon, Nov-04-02 13:32

how I handle Chinese

I do Mongolian BBQ - our favorite Chinese restaurant offers this option... it's basically a select your own ingredients stir-fry. You pick thin shaved meats and veggies and sauces - but the sauces are flavored waters, rice wine vinegar and oils. There is no starch in them and only trace carbs in the "lemon water" and most obviously in the "sugar water". Yes, there is a noodle element, but obviously you can bypass that. I asked about starch, etc. at my Chinese place - there is no language barrier because they are second generation Americans ;) . Hope this helps you get the Chinese taste without the carbs!

lkonzelman Mon, Nov-04-02 13:43

:cry: Lisa we don't have mongolian bbq near us but I have experienced it in the past and it was very good.

Wish you luck Dazy...

Dazy Mon, Nov-04-02 14:35

Thanks for all the suggestions!
It is helpful to know on the rare occations we do take out.
-Dazy

Skamito Tue, Nov-05-02 10:20

Speaking of egg drop soup... I made my own the other day!

A can of chicken broth (lowest in added sugar)
Green onion to taste (I used about 3/4 of the white part and a few slices off the green for color)
A dash of oil (I used stir-fry oil, sesame would also be good)
One egg, beaten

Boil the broth with onions and oil in it. At boiling, pour egg in, using a spoon to get strings of egg instead of clumps. Cook for a minute or until the egg looks done. Serves 1.

Enjoy!

I am scared of chinese sauces. You could always ask for food such as beef and broccoli sauteed in only oil.

GatorGal93 Thu, Nov-07-02 11:27

Yum! Chinese!

We order Chinese a lot. I always stuck to the egg foo young, soup etc. Well, today I noticed in the menu that it said, "Diet dishes upon your request." I wanted some steamed veggies, but I wanted some protein too.

What the heck, I said and when I placed the order, I asked for "Number 71 please. The roast pork with vegetables but no sauce, please." They responded with, "Steamed?" I agreed and that was that.

When it got here it was absolutely perfect! :yum: Nice slices of pork mixed with various steamed veggies.

Why in the world didn't I think of this sooner? DOH! :doah:

Try this next time with your favorite Chinese take out.

Julie

lkonzelman Thu, Nov-07-02 11:30

Oh I do that all the time.... but it really isn't like eating chinese food is it?

rhinda Sat, Nov-09-02 22:26

Thai food works great, too!

Instead of Chinese food I generally opt for the less salty (and less likely to contain MSG and all sorts of other unhealthy additives), "safer," and more flavorful Thai food take-out. There are some really delicious extremely low carb options like spicy beef salad, chicken satay (made with unsweetened coconut milk), spicy deep fried beef with garlic, Thai BBQ chicken etc. All favorites of mine! Most dishes are made without sugar but if you're worried you can always ask the cook to exclude it (as well as tomatoes as some Thai restaurants put these in their food to make it more American). Bon appetit!

Kaela Sun, Nov-10-02 16:20

mmmmmmmmmm....chinese food.......

Schezchuen Chicken, beef, or pork all have no/low carbs in them, mmmmmm......... :rolleyes:

lkonzelman Mon, Nov-11-02 08:08

"Schezchuen Chicken, beef, or pork all have no/low carbs in them, mmmmmm........."

Are you sure about this???? I just looked up a couple recipes for this and it has a few tbsp of corn starch and sauces added?

Please prove me wrong someone - I like the idea of this much!

kiwi2 Mon, Nov-11-02 09:52

I'm thinking that the amount of corn starch in those recipes is so low that it really isn't something to get TOO worried about. Its not for every day, but i think having something like that occassionally is going to keep you from wanting to do something that is much bigger and more harmful to your weight loss. And Szechuan stuff quite often doesn't have the corn starch anyway - but it might be worth asking at your local chinese resto.

My only fear with Thai food is how often the recipes add in brown sugar. You have that AND the corn starch, and you need to start worrying a little.

eating out can be such a landmine sometimes! I'm so happy that I love cooking.

you've all got me craving chinese now .... ;)

kiwi

lkonzelman Mon, Nov-11-02 09:56

Thanks muchly Kiwi!