Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Creating a low-carb fact sheet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=68707)

cre8tivgrl Fri, Nov-01-02 13:43

Creating a low-carb fact sheet

I put this out in the thread about the 16 year old Missouri girl who died supposedly from low-carbing.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...15&pagenumber=1

But I wanted to throw out the idea here too. I think its time that if we made the option of being proactive to naysayers a little easier.

I suggest that we complile a generalized fact sheet. It could cover the main "dangers" of low-carbing and the truth. I suggested it be modeled off of Atkins and could then be modified to the other plans individually. After agreed upon, it would be available to be downloaded and printed out.

Now with that said, I want to clarify that I think handing the fact sheet out as flyers randomly is inapporpriate and unneccessary. And that is NOT my intentions with this. Not for one minute do I believe that it would do anything more than make us look fanatical and add steam to the skeptics who already call it a fad.

I also want to clarify that I don't think a fact sheet should replace reading the respective books for people thinking about changing to a low-carb way of eating. As long as the sheet contains only nutrient, hydration, ketosis stuff and not diet procedure information, I don't think we'll run into the problem anyhow.

I DO believe it could be a valuable tool for those who feel attacked and bombarded on a regular basis by well meaning friends and family members and I believe that most of us might even learn something.

Any other ideas or input?

lkonzelman Fri, Nov-01-02 14:17

I would be quite interested in the replies to this thread.

Paleoanth Sat, Nov-02-02 02:04

I posted this in the War Zone forum, but thought you might be interested in it here as well. Some of the first controlled studies on lc "diets" and how they effect cholesterol.

Low-Carbohydrate, High-Protein Diets

Physicians are often asked about the safety and efficacy of low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets. Unfortunately, very few controlled studies have evaluated these popular regimens. These diets, which are often high in fat, raise concerns about their effects on lipid levels.

One such diet, the Atkins Diet, restricts carbohydrates and encourages unlimited consumption of protein and fat. Preliminary results were presented from a 3-center (University of Pennsylvania, University of Colorado, Washington University) randomized controlled trial comparing the Atkins Diet with a conventional low-fat, high-carbohydrate plan that restricted daily caloric intake to 1200-1500 kcal for women and 1500-1800 kcal for men.

The study included 63 obese (BMI 33.8 ± 3.4 kg/m2) males and females who were randomized to 1 of the 2 diets. Subjects received an initial session with a dietitian to explain the assigned diet program.

At 12 weeks, the researchers found that the Atkins group had a lower rate of attrition (12%) compared with that of the conventional program (30%).

In addition, subjects in the Atkins group lost significantly more weight (8.5 ± 3.7%) compared with the conventional group (3.7 ± 4.0%).

In terms of serum lipids, the Atkins group demonstrated slight increases in total cholesterol (TC; 2.2 ± 16.6%) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (6.6 ± 20.7%), whereas the conventional group showed significant decreases in these measures (TC -8.2 ± 11.5%; LDL -11.1 ± 19.4%).

High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol significantly increased in the Atkins group (11.5 ± 20.6%) but did not change in the conventional group, whereas triglycerides showed a significant decrease for the Atkins group (-21.7 ± 27.9%) and no change in the conventional group.

At 26 weeks, these changes persisted in both groups even though the sample size was smaller. The researchers concluded that the Atkins Diet produced favorable effects on weight, HDL, triglycerides, and retention compared with a conventional low-fat, low-calorie program, whereas the conventional plan was associated with more favorable effects on TC and LDL cholesterol.

A similar randomized-controlled trial from Duke University was also presented at the conference. The researchers in this study also compared the effects of a low-carbohydrate (LC) diet with a low-fat, low-calorie (LF) program.

This study included 120 obese (mean BMI 34 kg/m2) males and females, who all received group treatment for their respective diet programs.

At 6 months, both groups had similar rates of attrition, but the LC group lost considerably more weight (13.3 ± 4.6%) compared with the LF group (8.6 ± 5.9%). In addition, the LC group lost significantly more fat mass than the LF group (-9.7 kg for the LC group and -6.4 kg for the LF group).

Both groups showed decreases in triglycerides, with the LF group also showing a significant decrease in total cholesterol (-13.5 mg/dL).

The LC group showed significant increases in HDL and a significant decrease in Chol/HDL ratio.

This pattern of results was similar to those of the 3-center study described above. Longer-term studies are needed to more fully evaluate the safety and efficacy of these popular diet approaches.

The 2002 NAASO meeting will occur in San Diego, California, from February 23 as part of the First Annual Nutrition Week Conference.