Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Does Caffeine cause weight gain or not? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=68472)

SlimShAdY Wed, Oct-30-02 23:19

Does Caffeine cause weight gain or not?

I'm confused because I've heard people say caffeine causes weight gain, and I've heard others say it dosen't. Heck, even atkins says to avoid caffeine.

I always thought caffeine made me gain weight because I used to drink alot of soda (never coffee or anything like that), and I'd gain weight. Even diet coke made me bloated and gain. (this was off lowcarb) I know it deffinetly dehydrated me.

Now last week I've drank these ABB stacker drinks, which contains ephedra and caffeine in them... I was peeing like every 10mins after I drank that. ( I drank plenty of water that day, but that was way before I drank that) I lost 2lbs in those couple of days...lol..... so guess I was wrong about the caffeine before? It's deffinetly not due to more exercise because thats been about the same.

Oh and today I drank a 20oz diet pepsi, and the same thing happened.... when to the bathroom alot and lost a pound...lol

So is caffeine good now or am I missing something here :confused:

melissa07 Wed, Oct-30-02 23:43

I'm no expert, but I don't think caffeine in and of itself would cause weight gain. I think the major problem with soft drinks is the artificial sweeteners. Caffeine is the same as most other things in life,...it probably won't hurt if you consume it in moderation.

:)

Talon Thu, Oct-31-02 05:35

Some people are fine on caffiene - in some people caffiene causes a slight insulin response - but most often caffiene is a diuretic - which in our low carb life styl is not always a good idea since our diet is natrually diuretic anyway. You don't want to lose to much water - our bodies need it to function properly!

BrewWa Thu, Oct-31-02 11:53

Hi Talon,

Tried your meatballs (posted a couple weeks ago). They were great! Thanks.

On coffee, I had been drinking coffee since I was about 15 years old. After reading the book (DANDR), I decided to go decaf (I thought it was a requirement). I have since learn (Kristine's poll) only a few actually give it up; most cut back their consumption. I have decided to stay with decaf because I've heard coffee is not good for arthritis.

BrewWa

yvonne326 Thu, Oct-31-02 15:21

I've been drinking coffee since day one and am losing ... its now 31 lbs gone and if anything, I am drinking a little more since the weather got cooler and my weight loss actually sped up. NO, I am not saying that coffee is the reason but it hasn't hurt. The reason is exercise and lower carbs for me!

Twinkle Sun, Nov-03-02 08:32

I never gave up my coffee....

I did, however, cut back on the amount I consume. I now have one cup of coffee, or less, in the morning. I got such terriffic headaches when I cut the caffeine out completely that I was afraid that I would start getting migraines again. On the weekends I allow myself to drink as much coffee as I please...my little treat for being so good during the week, I guess. Hey, it's better than what I used to do to reward myself....cake, candy, cookies, etc. I have no idea if it has slowed down my weight loss. I do know that the quality of my life is every bit as important as how much weight I loss in "x" amount of time and decided that once I got down to my goal weight, I would want to be able to have a cup of coffee if I wanted it so no sense in removing it from my life in the meantime. Maybe I would reach goal faster if I gave up my coffee but I wouldn't be happy doing it and to me, the journey should be as enjoyable as possible while striving to reach the destination.

Autumn30 Sun, Nov-03-02 13:02

Caffiene can cause problems with raising your insulin response, so can artificial sweetners in diet drinks.

The only one I found that doesn't is diet rite, no caffiene and its sweetened with splenda so it doesnt raise your insulin that way either, also it comes in a ton of different flavors.