Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Butter.. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=6719)

Sachi Fri, Jun-22-01 09:58

Butter..

Tell me..Is "I can't believe it's not butter" acceptable or do I have to go right for "butter" I didn't seem to see any differences in the ingredients!

I haven't been doing good so I'm back at my induction day one--though I do feel inches have been lost because my jeans are bagging but I don't dare weigh myself just yet.

I will keep posted
Sachi

Karen Fri, Jun-22-01 12:01

Hi Sachi,

What is your hesitation concerning real butter?

I tried to find what ICBINB was made from, but couldn't find the info on their site.

I did find out that butter has 11.4 grams of fat and ICBINB has 10 grams per tablespoon.

Karen

tamarian Fri, Jun-22-01 12:17

One thing to keep in mind, refined fats, chemically treated to make it lower "whatever" through hydrogination or newer techniques will give you bad fat.

(bad fat = good fat minus ALA, omega-3 etc.)

It's another smart way to make you pay more for less. ;)

Wa'il

doreen T Fri, Jun-22-01 15:37

I found a vegetarian site, that discussed ICBINB, and apparently it's 60% soybean oil, with "sweet buttermilk" salt and colour added.

Wa'il is right about the harmful fats ...

for the stick type, the fat breakdown for 1 Tbsp =

10 gm total fat
2 gm saturated
2.5 gm monounsaturates
2 gm polyunsaturates

Hmm .. seems there's 3.5 gm of undeclared fat. Guess that must be the TRANS fat, which is linked to clogged arteries and some cancers.

The liquid form of course has more oil in it, so higher polyunsaturates. (and much lower trans fat)

Real dairy butter is made from cream and salt (unless unsalted) .. and you can use it for cooking without it turning into something harmful (most oil-based margarines and spreads have a low-smoking point, meaning they burn and scorch quickly, turning into transfats in the process). Of course, folks do have preferences, and prefer the "lighter" taste of an oil-based product.

It's up to you ... no health advantage to the ICBINB, from a lowcarber's perspective.

my 2¢ worth ;)

Doreen

nsmith4366 Wed, Dec-18-02 15:22

I am a low carber who pays attention to calories (no lectures please - this is just what I do for me for my own reasons)...so sometimes I want the taste of butter without the calories.

ICBINB now has a fat free version. It has 0carb, 0 fat and 0 protein, but they claim 5 cals per tablespoon. It contains vegetable monodiglycerides, rice starch and salt basically. I've asked how many carbs are in it...what it's made out of and all the specifics.

http://www.tasteyoulove.com/product...e/fat_free.html

It's cholesterol free and I am trying now to find out if it has hydrogenated fats (I do not think so) - or trans fats - saturated fat? In it...it says it is fat free so I don't think so. I will let you know.

Yes, I know rice starch is rice starch - but for one tablespoon - if it is less than one carb of starch (so not listed) on label - I don't care, I eat very few carbs as it is daily and ONE rice starch carb won't/hasn't hurt me yet. The lower cals really do wonders for me however on low carb/I also have complicated medication reasons for doing lower fat.

Skamito Wed, Dec-18-02 20:54

If the word "hydrogenated" is anywhere in the ingredients, I would urge you to stay away. There is a big butter vs. margarine debate (which I prefer to stay out of) but partially hydrogenated oils or trans-fatty acids stick to your arteries and are perhaps even worse than cholesterol.

With that being said, I use Benecol or Smart Balance. These taste great and have no hydrogenated oils and are supposed to actually raise healthy cholesterol levels while lowering bad ones. Who knows. I believe both brands also come in Light. I know Smart Balance light has 5 grams of fat as opposed to the traditional 10.

Just my two cents.

Skamito Wed, Dec-18-02 20:55

Oh, by the way, in my limited reading on "fat-free" margarines, they usually are 100% fat using those 5 calories for a half gram.

nsmith4366 Wed, Dec-18-02 21:21

Thanks, but I don't think Icbinb contains fats at all, there are none listed on the label. I will look into the lighter versions of the brands you mentioned - good idea.

N

CindySue48 Fri, Dec-20-02 14:28

After looking and searching, I finally found a site that lists the ingredients!

http://www.unilever.ca/products/ind...CateId=1&type=1

I also found another site that said:
Quote:
Just so you know, the gelatin in ICBINB is derived from protein of animal origin. It is processed according to high standards of purity (so highly refined that it is no longer even considered a meat product by the USDA). The source of the animal is not specified with the supplier.
and
Quote:
Thanks so much for writing again! The gelatin is processed according to high standards of purity. We cannot guarantee whether it is beef or pork. To avoid gelatin all together we recommend using one of our spreads that does not contain gelatin (Shedds CC Light). This is all the information we have available.
http://www.halalpak.com/issue2sketc...essreport3.html

It does contain hydrogenated oils, so I'd say butter is better!
As for the fat free? that's just too scarey to think about!

Also...check out this site: gross! http://www.theweeks.org/toms-stuff/BUTTER.html If I ever had any intentions of trying it, I sure dont' now!

Butter may have calories, and it may have saturated fat...but it's more natural than any of these man-made death spreads!

nsmith4366 Fri, Dec-20-02 14:52

Those are the ingredients to ICBINB regular or light. I want to know what is in the Fat Free version. I won't buy regular or light ICBINB because it is hydrogenated anyway.

But I STILL want to know all the ingredients of the FAT FREE kind...there is rice starch in it/so it's OUT for me, but still, I want to know...not hydrogenated oils because it's Fat free they say -

they claim 0carb 0 protein 0fat...I think it's the monodyglycerides/vegetable protein and a tiny bit of rice starch that's all - no big deal, but I want to know. I mean is it .99 carb per 1 tablespoon, so they don't have to put 1 carb or WHAT?

Nancy

Lisa N Fri, Dec-20-02 15:14

I checked the official site for ICBINB, and they do not list the actual ingredients in the product, but do list the nutritional information. 1 tablespoon of the fat free has 0 grams of fat and 0 grams of protein and 5 calories per serving. If it has no fat or protein, those 5 calories must be coming from some carbohydrate source and would be a bit more than 1 gram of carb per tablespoon.
I suspect if you really want to know what it's made of, you'll have to send an e-mail to the manufacturer. Personally, I'm scared to ask.

freydis Fri, Dec-20-02 17:21

Many "non-fat" items contain HIGH amounts of trans-fatty acids. They get away with the "non-fat" label because they're not yet required to report the trans-fat. If their other products contain these acids, I'd bet the "non-fat" version has even more.