Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   3 dreadful weeks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=67062)

sharon8 Tue, Oct-22-02 05:02

3 dreadful weeks

Hi All,

I have been on Atkins for 3 weeks and have lost 13.5 lb.

I keep reading that everyone feels a bit out of sorts for a few days and then terrific from them on. I had three really dreadful weeks - dizzy, cranky, muddle-headed, sleepy and pretty nauseous.

(I had been more or less vegetarian for a few years and was suffering from lentil and brown rice withdrawal :) - getting used to that much meat in my diet might have been a big shock to my system.

Yesterday would be the first time I really felt human. The day before that I started taking a calcium supplement. Does anyone know if this could be related? I take minerals, multivitamins & glucosomine & chondritin. Is there anything else I should be taking?

TIA.

Dar Babe Tue, Oct-22-02 06:13

Hi Tia,
I don't know about the supplement part but what you describe sounds like carb withdrawal to me. Although I haven't heard of it lasting for 3 weeks. I guess it's possible. Still it's quite a change for your system to go from vegetarian to Atkins. I do remember reading somewhere that calcium is one of the things your body loses a lot of when starting a low carb plan.

I'm not on Atikins by the way, I do the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan program. It's similar to Atkins except that once a day we eat a balanced meal that includes carbs. I'm returning to this way of eating after spending two year putting back on the 30 pounds I orginally lost. :rolleyes:

That's a great loss for 3 weeks. Congratulations!

Dar

sharon8 Tue, Oct-22-02 06:58

thanks

Hi Dar,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am feeling better today. Hope I am through the worst of it.

Your carb addicts plan sounds like what I think Atkins does later on. I don't think I have to give up rice and lentils forever to keep the weight off....do I?

Rosebud Tue, Oct-22-02 15:01

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to another Aussie!

It sounds to me as though you need some potassium. I've answered more fully in your journal.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

kiwichick Wed, Oct-23-02 19:18

2 weeks

Hi Sharon
When I first went on this, it took me two weeks to feel right again. I had a headache every hour of the day, I felt heavy legged and lacked energy. It was the carbs withdrawal and also perhaps coffee too, which I had also stopped taking.
But yes potassium sounds like a good idea to have.
Good luck.

sharon8 Thu, Oct-24-02 05:20

thanks

Thanks Kiwichick,

I'm sorry you had the same thing but it is kind of nice to know that I don't have to panic. I'll get to the shops tomorrow and pick up some No Salt.