Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Success Stories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   17 Year Old Taking Charge of His Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=66799)

mateoj Sun, Oct-20-02 14:41

17 Year Old Taking Charge of His Health

Hi, I am Mateo, and I have been on the Atkins Low Carb Diet for almost three months now (1 Day to go!).

As with many of you, I have had some quite amazing results on my low-carb journey, and I would like to share them with you all now.

This summer, In July, I made a decision: I was going to lose weight. In my mindset, It is all about taking charge and having the initiative not to try to lose weight, but to do it. You see, ever since third grade, I have been somewhat self-conscious about my weight - and how I looked with that weight. I have, in addition, tried to be wary of what I took down when I could, trying to keep my portions small, and reducing my fat intake.

I did get serious about a serious diet WOL once before I went low-carb - that was in January of this year. I reduced my calorie intake, and followed calorie-counting religiously for two weeks. I do believe that helped. However, I had a change of heart after that and from then on did not follow as meticulously, but watched my portions as much as I could nonetheless.

This was up to July. In July of 2002, I decided to make a change. I did this not only for me, but for my friends and family. I did not want to be overweight. I wanted to be able to wear a size other than extra large or 2X. I never have, however, considered myself extremely overweight.

On July 21st, 2002, during a walking session (I had a 3 mile a day walking routine) with my mother, I decided that I was going to go on the Atkins diet. It was then that I weighed 243 pounds.

That was the moment my whole life changed. You see, I embraced Low Carb as a WOL that would enable me to be a different person than I was. I never considered myself to be much different from other people, just a person with more "substance" to him, to be truthful.

Since July 21st, 2002, I have not cheated ONCE. Atkins is my way of life - Not once, do I believe, have I intentionally ingested a great amount of carbs - never more than I needed to. Therein lies my inspiration - I see no reason to "fancy-up" foods I eat with carb-laden tastes, or to eat carbohydrate products. I am happy with chicken as chicken, pork as pork, and for foods otherwise as they are.

As far as exercise goes, I decided to wait to start up my self-prescribed cardio exercise routine until this point - ten pounds away from my goal. This allows me to work my way into an exercising way of life, and to continue my low-carb one, shaping my now thinner self along the way.

I watched during the past three months as I was transformed. I have shrunk from my previous 243 pounds to my current 175 pounds, and I am still dropping. My goal is 165, one I will reach in the next month. I will keep this forum, in the meanwhile, posted. In the past three months, also, I have lost 10.25 inches off my stomach and 7 inches off my waist. I have never felt better.

Other people have noticed too. As I am a student, I have had more than one teacher tell me how different I looked. In addition, I can not count the number of praises I have recieved from friends, family, and fellow students at my school about how great I look now.

In reflection, The journey is far from over. Low Carb is not a temporary means of dropping fat - to me, it is to always be a way of life, mine. And, in recollection, I have enjoyed this journey I have taken with myself and look with great hope upon the person I am to become. I hope you have taken something out of my story, as I have taken so much out of many of yours.

Thanks for caring,
Mateo
A Fellow Low-Carb "Dieter"
I Will Keep You Posted!

mateoj Sun, Oct-20-02 15:36

Update: Before & After

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a before and after picture of my face that I compiled. The image file is attached.

Rosebud Sun, Oct-20-02 15:53

WOW!

Mateo, all I can say is WELL DONE! You've done wonderfully!
What a magnificent example you are of what low carbing can do!

Congratulations!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

krazzybird Mon, Oct-21-02 11:56

Mateoj -

Congrats on your huge success! Your story is an inspiration, thanks for sharing it.

Look forward to hearing about the final 10 being gone .... :)

suze_c Mon, Oct-21-02 13:09

Weigh to go~!

That's awesome~ :yay: :dazzle: :clap: :cheer: :clap: :dazzle: :yay:

Congrats on your success~ and there's no doubt in my mind that you will reach your goal soon~ and as far as being on this forum~ we are glad to have you~! You are inspiration to all of us~ :spin:

orchidday Mon, Oct-21-02 13:15

Congratulations! You are truly amazing! I only wish that I had discovered Low-carbing when I was 17 and not 45. All those wasted years. My weight has changed the way I see and do all things. You have a lot to be proud of. Never go where I went!
Cindi :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Talon Mon, Oct-21-02 13:45

Great going! :cheer:

I'm glad that you discovered your path to success at 17 years - you will have a happier and healthier life. Keep us posted!

mateoj Mon, Oct-21-02 14:19

My Three-Month Anniversary

Hi everyone -

Just wanted to post that today is my three-month Atkins diet mark - I started in July, and since then have lost 69 pounds! I have only nine more to go, a goal I will reach soon!

Reach for the stars!
-Mateo

lkonzelman Mon, Oct-21-02 14:37

Mateo -

You should be very proud of taking care of yourself like this! I grew up until the age of 37 feeling bad about my body/myself.

Now that you know what to do and how to do it.... I wish you so much success on all your new goals (even not including weight) that you choose to set.

:wave:

Kristine Mon, Oct-21-02 20:30

<center> :clap: Congratulations!!!:clap:</center>

You have a terrific attitude! :thup: I hope you and your mom are still walking together. That's cool. :)

Texasgal Tue, Oct-22-02 08:42

Way to Go!!

Mateo! Congratulations on your success! You look great! You are a wonderful inspiration to many people here and thanks for sharing your story. :thup:

mateoj Wed, Oct-23-02 17:11

70 Pound Mark

I just wanted to announce my 70-pounds loss mark that I reached today - this marks 70 pounds in three months and two days on the Atkins diet. From here I only have eight more pounds to hit my goal weight - A goal I will accomplish before my thanksgiving goal date!

Thanks,
Mateo

"Whatever the mind of man can concieve and believe, it can achieve!"

Jan C Wed, Oct-23-02 22:02

Mateo,

Your weight loss is fabulous and you have a great attitude! Not cheating even once takes a lot of willpower.

I wish you success in reaching your goal by Thanksgiving. :) Keep us posted on your progress.

Jan

McRumi Thu, Oct-24-02 12:02

Way cool

Mateo...you are the man! Keep up the great new Way of Life..you will never regret it. Although our truest beauty is revealed by our chosen actions, we are also called to treat our physical bodies with respect. That you have understood this at such a young age is both remarkable and commendable.

May you continue to inspire those around you (and know that you are doing just that!).

Bravo!

Best,
Mark

DWRolfe Thu, Oct-24-02 14:50

Excellent results!

Nothing warms my heart more than the wonderful stories of dedication and success in this part of the forum...

You've been blessed, Mateo, with wisdom beyond your years. Go with it. Remember each and every LC lesson you've learned this year and keep those lessons close to heart and mind.

And thank you so much for sharing so openly with everyone here in the forum!

Right on!

Donald :wave: