Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hows this look? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=65070)

LBDropper Wed, Oct-09-02 17:15

Hows this look?

This is from my meals yesterday, am I on the right track?

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2570
Fat: 218 1961 75%
Sat: 42 380 15%
Poly: 98 879 34%
Mono: 59 529 20%
Carbs: 122 401 15%
Fiber: 22 0 0%
Protein: 60 240 9%

Kristine Wed, Oct-09-02 19:46

Looks good, if that's what the Sugarbusters program suggests. I'm not too familiar with it, so...

22 g seems like a lot of fiber. Are you used to that? If you're not, you might have some... plumbing problems. :blush: Good for you, for getting that much! :thup: I consider it a good day when I get 15. :D

100 g of non-fiber carbs sounds like a lot to me, and 60 g of protein sounds a little deficient, but that's based on my Protein Power/Atkins philosophy. Like I said, I'm not familiar with Sugarbusters.

(note to self: check Sugarbusters out of the library sometime soon. :) )

LBDropper Wed, Oct-09-02 21:11

I remember the diet from about 4 years ago but I know that they do revise over time. Last time I tried it (for a week lol) you didn't have to count any grams of anything. I find it hard to keep track of carbs because today all I had that is considered grains is oatmeal and 1 cup of rice the carbs came from other food....I'm finding it to be hard to keep the carbs down when its in foods like veggies and fruits :confused:

LBDropper Wed, Oct-09-02 21:14

The fiber is good I'm wanting to get in 35 g I'm not used to it but now I'm on a bile binding medicine which requires lots of water and fiber to be "normal"

Victoria Wed, Oct-09-02 23:58

LB,
I also am not familiar with SugarBusters, but I would suggest getting rid of the rice before you cut down on vegies. One cup of rice is 44 grams of carbs. And the oatmeal is around 21 after subtracting out the fiber. So if you are concerned about getting the carbs down, get rid of the rice.

You can get fiber and nutrients from vegetables. Victoria

Kristine Thu, Oct-10-02 18:05

>>"I find it hard to keep track of carbs because today all I had that is considered grains is oatmeal and 1 cup of rice the carbs came from other food....I'm finding it to be hard to keep the carbs down when its in foods like veggies and fruits..."

I have to agree with Victoria; that seems a little bit backwards to me. The veggies are generally very low in carbs with the exception of potatoes. Berries are quite low in carbs, as are melons.

fridayeyes Thu, Oct-10-02 18:36

I agree about trying to get the carbs a little lower. Rice is fairly high GI as I recall, which means it has a greater effect on your insulin and blood sugar than, say, green beans.

As for veggies, what are you eating? Corn is a starch, carrots are high GI and potatoes are right out. You want green stuff - lettuces, broccoli, summer squash, celery, cucumbers, green pepper, etc.

Thirdly, get that protein up! 60 g just barely meets the USRDA for women and the RDA is only the level that won't make you sick from deficiency. It's nowhere near what you need to be *healthy*. You probably need more like 100g-120 g or more!

Go poke around in people's journals and see what they're eating. :)

My protein is usually in the 150-200 g range, and when I'm not iso (Zone), my carbs are around 40-50 g after fiber is taken out.

Cheers,

Friday

LBDropper Sat, Oct-12-02 21:50

Like the green beans I eat are 6g of carbs for a cup, so to me that is a lot because some days I start off with oatmeal which is about 16-18 g of carb, but that is the only food that doesn't make me sick. So then I'm only left with being able to have less than 5 carbs. And I had bought oranges but they were sky high in carbs. I'm confused about what subtracting fiber is? I guess you subtract fiber grams from carbs then use that amount? I'm on and off anemic - just curious if you could name a few things that have protein? Right now I'm kind of following my own plan. It's like sugarbusters but I try to limit carbs to 20g a day which is what I think is right for losing weight?

Victoria Mon, Oct-14-02 18:36

LB Dropper,
You are limiting yourself in vegies because you want oatmeal in the morning. I don't know how you can eat 20 carbs a day and start off with oatmeal. One cup of oatmeal is 21 carbs.

You subtract out the amount of fiber and that gives you the ECC or Effective Carb Count. A medium orange is 15 carbs, but 3 grams of fiber, so the effective carb count is 12 carbs. That's what you count. Oatmeal is 25 carbs for 1 cup, but has 4 grams fiber, so the ECC is 21 grams carbs.

I get my protein from eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, chicken, beef, tuna, salmon...even grilled vegie burgers. Try getting a book...I would suggest Protein Power. It will let you know how much protein you should aim for and suggest ways of getting enough protein. It really helps to have a book to refer to, so that you know what you're doing and why. ;) Victoria