Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [CKD] Nausea and workouts (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=64692)

Jalilah Mon, Oct-07-02 11:57

Nausea and workouts

I noticed today that I'm really sick to my stomach---big time nausea during my dance practice----which was on the heels of my weight training. Anyway, it doesn't feel too swift, to say the least and I was wondering why I'm feeling like this and what I can do to stop it.

I didn't get sick during weight training, just my dance practice. I only got about 1.5hrs into it before feeling really bad. :( I've got a slight headache with it, too for some reason (not prone to headaches AT ALL).

One other thing... I started taking fish oil capsules and flax oil capsules today as well. Does that have anything to do with it?? I've taken the oils before---Atkins brand essential oils, but I've never had a problem.

Also, on another note, I did a search on the subject and found one poster who said that he actually threw up during his leg days. But he said he was doing 20 reps of squats! Is THAT normal to do that many, and why would you?? :confused: Just curious.

thanks all.

Big Dog Mon, Oct-07-02 12:14

I have thrown up during leg workouts in the past, in fact i almost fell down the stairs once (dang upstairs gyms).

I get nauseous from time to time, especially working out in the mornings on an empty stomach.

Jalilah Mon, Oct-07-02 12:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
I have thrown up during leg workouts in the past, in fact i almost fell down the stairs once (dang upstairs gyms).

I get nauseous from time to time, especially working out in the mornings on an empty stomach.

I remember getting nauseous a few years ago on leg day....this was when I was a LOT stronger (you wouldn't believe how much I could leg press back then! LOL), though. And I remember the shaky legs, too, and get those on leg day now.

But I worked out on an empty stomach...usually do....today, and I did upper body. The nausea didn't hit me until I started with my dance practice, and I only could do 1.5hrs as opposed to the usual 3hrs.

another thing I did today differently, besides taking the flax oil and fish oil supplements (oh, and calcium...had been out a few weeks), was break my meals down. I've only "technically" had breakfast today because I split the meal in half and had the first half right after my workout and the second right after I stopped practicing. I'm going to try and get my food in today in 5-6 meals, rather than the 3 I usually do.

It just felt really disgusting today.

Did you also get a headache with the nausea? I mean, I could feel my energy level completely bottom out, so I stopped practicing..

I must not be doing something right. :confused:

Thanks, Big Dog! Sure glad you didn't kill yourelf on those stairs at the gym!

Big Dog Mon, Oct-07-02 12:56

could the fish oil or flax oil be bad or just not agreeing with you?

I had some bad flax oil last week and it really ruined my day.

Jalilah Mon, Oct-07-02 13:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
could the fish oil or flax oil be bad or just not agreeing with you?

I had some bad flax oil last week and it really ruined my day.

Hmmmnn.. I don't think so. Mine are capsules, rather than liquid, and I took some last night without a problem. But still, who knows? Could be a combination of things, huh? I ate my other 3oz of protein (had 3oz 2-3hrs before that) and it helped, so maybe my blood sugar was crashing for some reason. :confused:

Sorry to hear about the flax oil! Natural oils do tend to go rancid easily.

Beaver Mon, Oct-07-02 13:45

My first morning of ketosis I puked. I woke up, did my 30 minutes and took a sip of soda and yakked. I get nauseas doing Dumbell rows constantly. Duchaine says in his book, I forget exactly what he said....but I think it had something to do with levels of....acid? in your blood from working out hard. The the more you exert the more it builds up, and that makes you sick. I cant remember enough to elaborate anymore ahaha

I was sick everymorning for a week my 3rd week of CKD....I finally realized that it was taking a multivitamin and some other pills on an empty stomach that did it, as soon as I stopped the sickness stopped.

EDIT: how long does flax oil last by the way? haha I have had the same bottle for 3 weeks and its getting harder to take

Jalilah Mon, Oct-07-02 14:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaver
My first morning of ketosis I puked. I woke up, did my 30 minutes and took a sip of soda and yakked. I get nauseas doing Dumbell rows constantly. Duchaine says in his book, I forget exactly what he said....but I think it had something to do with levels of....acid? in your blood from working out hard. The the more you exert the more it builds up, and that makes you sick. I cant remember enough to elaborate anymore ahaha

Maybe that's it then. :confused:

Quote:
I was sick everymorning for a week my 3rd week of CKD....I finally realized that it was taking a multivitamin and some other pills on an empty stomach that did it, as soon as I stopped the sickness stopped.

I take my vit's with food always. :confused:

Quote:
EDIT: how long does flax oil last by the way? haha I have had the same bottle for 3 weeks and its getting harder to take

Good question!

I seriously don't know what it is, but I assume it has something to do with blood sugar levels and carbing up? I've been SO hungry the last week or two----can hardly stop myself from eating everything that doesn't run away from me! You know the old saying, "if it doesn't run, it's dinner"? Yup, that's the way I feel. I've not given in to that, but it's REALLY hard NOT to just eat until I explode!

I've been dieting (Atkins) since March, so I don't know if I've been doing it too long---if there's such a thing. Heck, I know people who've been dieting for 2 years on Atkins. Granted, they had a lot to lose (100-200lbs), but still... (((sigh))))

Doug H Mon, Oct-07-02 17:25

Flax Oil shelf life

Flax oil has a very short shelf life. It goes bad very fast. Keep it in the fridge. Buy small quantities. It has a useby date usually.
I don't like the caps too much because you can't tell how old they are.
I just about 'yakked' just reading about Jalilah's flax/fish cocktail. Phooey. :Puke:

Jalilah Mon, Oct-07-02 17:42

Re: Flax Oil shelf life

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug H
Flax oil has a very short shelf life. It goes bad very fast. Keep it in the fridge. Buy small quantities. It has a useby date usually.
I don't like the caps too much because you can't tell how old they are.
I just about 'yakked' just reading about Jalilah's flax/fish cocktail. Phooey. :Puke:

LOL.. Doug!! :p I take mine in capsule form! hehehe... I don't drink it---eghads, I WOULD yak! Do I have to refrigerate the capsules, too?? I didn't see that on the bottle. Hmmnn.