Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Hot Fudge Cake (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=64200)

Twinkle Thu, Oct-03-02 19:40

Hot Fudge Cake

One of my favorite desserts that I want to convert to low carb and I am wondering if you think these changes will work and want your suggestions if you don't think they will work. I'm going to actually attempt to do a low carb version this weekend.

Hot Fudge Cake

1/2 cup ground flaxseed and 1/2 cup almond meal (the original recipe called for 1 cup flour)
3/4 cup Splenda
6 Tablespoons cocoa, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tesapoon salt
1/2 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Brown Sugar Twin
1-3/4 cups hot water

Combine flaxseed, almond meal, Splenda, 2 Tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in the half and half and vanilla until smooth. Spread in an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Combine Brown Sugar Twin and remaining cocoa. Sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over all: do not stir. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm.

This makes a cake layer on top and a chocolate syrup on the bottom. I am serving it with whipped cream.

The original recipe called for 1 cup flour as I indicated in the ingredients above and also called for 2 Tablespoons oil. Since I am using flaxseed as an ingredient, I thougt it best to leave out the oil altogether since flaxseed has a natural oil in them.

Do you think the ground flaxseed and ground almonds will work or do you have a better suggestion for me to try on my first attempt at recreating this dessert?

Karen Thu, Oct-03-02 20:06

Hmm. I think it needs some gluten flour - if you don't object to using it. The flax will make things sticky, but I would fear the almond/flax mixture turning into a gooey mess. That may not actually be that bad come to think of it.

Is there no egg in the recipe? I'm also thinking that beaten egg white would help the cakey part rise to the top.

I would try 1/2 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup flax and 1/4 cup gluten flour.

You can also cut down on the amount of sweeteners and use whipping cream instead of 1/2 and 1/2.

Karen

Twinkle Fri, Oct-04-02 05:39

Thanks for answering, Karen.

I had thought about the gluten but wasn't sure if it would need it or not. This recipe is unusual. The batter mixes up and it is rather thick. You spread it in the bottom of the pan then sprinkle the brown sugar/cocoa mixture over it and pour hot water over the whole thing. After it bakes, a cake layer rises to the top and there is a layer of thick fudge sauce on the bottom.

The original recipe did not call for an egg. It did start out with 1 cup of flour and 2 Tablespoons of oil but I eliminated the oil altogether because of the flaxseed. I think I may strart out with 2 Tablespoons of wheat gluten added into the flaxseed/almond flour mix and see what happens.

I'm trying it today and will let you know the results. Even if it only turns out half as good as the original recipe, I would pretty happy because the stuff was too good to begin with.