Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Lc products and weight gain (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=63447)

Julianna Sun, Sep-29-02 12:39

Lc products and weight gain

Can low carb products cause a weight gain? How much sugar alcohol can you eat so you don't gain weight. I am just curious for the future. I am also wandering what experience people had with low carb bread and flax-o-meal hot cereal (they do not have any sugar alcohols just fiber). Do I have to worry only about sugar alcohols or does fiber work in similar way? And lastly anyone tried flax-o-meal granola. It is so good but it has 10 gr. of maltitol per 0.5 cup. :confused:

Lisa N Sun, Sep-29-02 12:48

Hi Julianna!

Most of the low carb products are a YMMV (your mileage may very) kind of thing. Some people seem to be able to eat them several times a day and do just fine, others stall eating them only once in a while. Sugar alcohols and most artificial sweeteners seem to cause a problem for a great many people.
Fiber is a different matter altogether. Your body lacks the necessary enzymes to even digest it, so it passes out of your body undigested and does not contribute to either carb or calorie counts. I make my own version of the Flax-O-Meal with ground flaxmeal and wheat bran and have no problems with it. My DH loves the stuff and says it's the best thing for keeping him regular. I've never tried the granola. Never was too keen on granola anyway, so I can't see spending my money on something that wasn't all that great even at "regular" carb levels.
I do eat the Atkins pre-made bread and muffin mixes, but not every day. More like a couple of times a week at most. Often when I make a batch of muffins, I only wind up getting one or two because the rest of my family likes them too.
Generally, you're best sticking with natural, unprocessed foods as much as possible but everyone has to experiment and see for themselves how these things affect them. HTH

nanner Mon, Sep-30-02 09:44

i personally have found that the low-carb products - especially the sweet bars and candies that i have tried to use as replacments - trigger the same binging type eating that i do with real sugar.

so in that way they can cause weight gain - if you can't stop eating them....

i have not tried the flax-o-meal - but will once i have stabalized my weight a little bit more.

i take a fiber supplement to stay regular and drink a ton of water - that seems to help with "hunger" - or what i call the empty feeling - needing to put something in my mouth.

anyway - good luck!

nanner :daze:

cre8tivgrl Mon, Sep-30-02 11:58

I really think the best thing you can do is try something then really listen to your body to see how it reacts. Everyone is so very different.

I can eat artificial sugar and caffine till the cows come home and not have any negative effects. Diet sodas, coffee (with heavy cream and splenda or sweet n low), crystal light (I add 2 packets of sweet n low)... etc. On the other hand, I have tried the low-carb bars, even found some that I really like, but ALL of them stall me. :(

I haven't tried any fiber products yet, because my coffee and veggies are still enough to keep me regular, but the granola mentioned sounds good. Granola is one of those things that I love but am used to having with a big glass of milk. I might have to try it with a big cup of coffee instead. :D