Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hormones / Menopause (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=63036)

janis Thu, Sep-26-02 13:10

Hormones / Menopause

I'm 54, been taking birth control pills for several years and quit them about 6 weeks ago. So now I'm supposedly experiencing a normal perimenopause, not taking any hormone supplements.

Well, over the past 3 weeks or so I've gained 4-5 pounds! With no change in my diet. The past few days I've cut back alcohol drastically (I was a regular contributor to the "red wine" thread a few months ago), thinking that was the problem since my carbs are pretty much limited to green veggies or salad at dinner. Although it has greatly improved my evenings not being in a stupor and able to get some things done, my weight has not budged.

Have any of you other middle-aged ladies experienced this? And, better yet, were you able to do anything about it?

Janis

greentea Thu, Sep-26-02 14:46

Check it out

Janis,
Read through the 40 something prei- pausal thread and you may
find some answers there. A lot of great and helpful people
too!
greentea :wave:

janis Fri, Sep-27-02 12:03

40-something thread

Sorry, greentea, I should have looked around a little more. I just read the 40-something thread and it looks like a great bunch of women, but nobody's complaining about weight gain.

I've been on this WOL for 6 years or more and I thought I knew how to work it pretty well, but for some reason it's just not working now. Next step: cut back on meat and eat more fish & chicken.

Janis

greentea Fri, Sep-27-02 12:38

Hi Janis :wave:
I thought we did, but probably not
in depth. I know I was gaining weight and the doc. kept telling me it was my age, my "time of life" A friends doc told her that MP causes weight its just a part of life.....That with the meds they give, slow the already hard time you're having losing weight :rolleyes:
6 years is a long time... are you on meds? Are you gaining? I didn't catch which LC plan you follow ...I'll go back and look.
This WOL has helped me but it's slower than I would have expected. Come back to our thread or if you're more comfortable over here I'll give Herbnurse and Minnine a shout and ask them to look in here. I'd like ya over there so we can all learn, maybe this is something we all need to talk more about. I'll post you there too :p I can hear your frustration.... :(
greentea :wave:

HerbNurse Fri, Sep-27-02 13:35

Janis

I have gained probably 15 lbs in the last three years. I struggled so hard to lose 76lbs. in 1998 but after a hysterectomy and going thru menopause it crept up on me before I knew it.

I was not exercising thinking that I got enough just working in my home office with a mail order business. Boy was I wrong!!

So after the "official" word from the doctor that I was going thru menopause in 2000, I realized that I needed to get up off my butt and do something. So that is where I am now. I am losing weight slowly and gaining some muscle but hey I am happy with it.

So here I am. We have a great thread already started 40 something prei- pausal thread, it's like a menopause club, why don't you join us. We can share stories and have some laughs!!

janis Mon, Sep-30-02 12:37

Hi Herbnurse

Hi Herbnurse--

I'm glad to hear from someone else that's gaining. It's so frustrating. What's your exercise program? I did Strong Women Stay Young for years, then got a treadmill and was doing that 3-5 times a week as well, then this spring I just stopped doing anything, thought after the summer I'd get back to it but not so far.

I think I'll keep monitoring and possibly contributing to the 40-something thread but I don't know how to shut down this one.

Janis