Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   tired! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=62209)

ronirich Sat, Sep-21-02 14:21

tired!

I just finished induction on Atkins and lost 9 lbs. I feel pretty good, but I am so very tired. I strictly adhere to the plan so I don't understand why I feel like this. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? :confused:

CindySue48 Sat, Sep-21-02 18:45

tired?

How much sleep are you getting? same as before induction?

I'm an insomniac from way back....and for the first times sicne I can remember I go to sleep within 5 min of getting into bed! After the first few days I found that I had more energy and didn't go to bed as early. But after a few days I realized I had to force myself or I'd be exhausted by the end of the week!

If it's not a sleep thing, check your carb count. Mine is fairly low, but I am tolerating it well. But I did have a few days where it dropped too low and I could barely drag myself around! I pretty much stay in the same range daily (15-20 carbs/day) but every once in a while drop down to abut 12-13 carbs/day and find mid day that I'm dragging. A quick snack of almonds or peanuts does the trick for me.

Hope this helped.

Cindy

Kristine Sat, Sep-21-02 19:57

Particularly if you're also experiencing sore or cramping muscles, it could be that your potassium intake is low. If you enter your daily food intake on fitday.com , go to the reports section and check to see how much potassium you've had. The recommended intake is 1500-3500 mg, the higher end being for athletes, etc. Many low-carbers take low-dose potassium suppliments with their meals, but check with a doctor first if you have any heart problems. :exclm:

orchidday Sun, Sep-22-02 09:18

Hi Roni! Boy, I know exactly how you feel. My first two weeks on induction were NO fun. I was so tired and headachey I just couldn't stand it. Potassium really worked for me, as Kristen suggests. Also, really work on getting all that water down! Make sure you are taking a good multi vitamin as well. You might experiment with your supplements. I take a multi vitamin, calcium, potassium, omega-3, and Atkin's dieter's advantage. It makes a tremendous difference in how I feel. Welcome aboard! The forum is here to support you and help with any questions. Cindi :daizy:

Lebette Sun, Sep-22-02 14:29

tired too

I just came on to ask this question as well. My first week of induction I was really fatigued, but then week 2 and 3 were great - lots of energy. However, now (Im on week 5) I seem to be tired but in a different way. Hard to explain. But Im sleeping heavier and longer, which isnt all together bad, but I am very groggy in the morning, no energy at all. Im getting enough carbs (I sometimes accidently go over my 20), so thought perhaps I may not be getting enough calories? I take suppliments (just mutli, c and e) and I plan on moving out of induction on Oct. 1.

Its hard to explain this tiredness...sometimes I think its not being tired at all, but only somehow more RELAXED, if that makes any sense. Maybe not jumping on sugar all the time (an ex grad student addicted to coffee and sugar and used to 4 hours sleep!) has made a difference. Maybe my body is just getting adjusted to a more natural way of life...

Just putting in my two cents....