Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   metamucil (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=61386)

beebob Mon, Sep-16-02 10:51

metamucil

Hi
I have taken 1 heaping Tablespoon of phyllisium husks for 4 nights in a row before I go to bed and it still hasn't worked. How long before it works and am I taking enough?
Thanks in advance

Kristine Mon, Sep-16-02 18:02

Oh my. :) Yep, that sounds like the right dose. Are you eating veggies and drinking lots of water, too?

Psyllium is a fiber source, but I don't think it's an actual laxative, definition of "laxative" being "something that irritates the colon into "jettisoning" its contents." ;) So you might just have to be patient.

Er... good luck. :o :rolleyes:

raharris Mon, Sep-16-02 19:42

morning?

Hi --

I am not sure what is supposed to "work" about one tablespoon of Metamucil a night ;), but my gastroenterologist told me specifically not to take the metamucil at night. He suggested that it can cause problems, but was not specific about the problems in question.

In any event, he told me to take the metamucil in the morning. I have been doing so for several years now, and I have no problems --

Hope this helps --

RA Harris, North Jersey Highlands

committed Mon, Sep-16-02 20:50

Metamucil

What is the carb count in a dose of Metamucil? I have used that sometimes in the paste but I am afraid to now that I LC because I don't know the carb count.

Anyone know?

raharris Tue, Sep-17-02 06:42

cancels out

Hi --

I think a full dose of the flavored metamucil runs something like 7 carbs, but the regular is somewhat less. But you have to remember that fiber cancels carbs one-to-one, making the usefulness of a fiber supplement greater than the potential carb intake. Most people I know don't take the full dose anyway (I take a tad less than half).

Hope this helps --

RA Harris, North Jersey Highlands

doreen T Tue, Sep-17-02 16:01

Each dose of Metamucil powder provides 3.4 grams of psyllium fiber. -- whether it's the regular kind with sugar, or the sugar-free kind. Even the wafers are standardized to provide 3.4 g fiber per dose of 2 wafers :)

So ... whatever is the serving size stated on the bottle, you count 3.4g fiber, and the rest is carbs from sugar and/or maltodextrin.

If the serving is 1 Tbsp = 15g ... so 11.6g digestible carbs

If the serving is 1 tsp = 5g .. so 1.6g digestible carbs

Metamucil website

If you're using pure psyllium husks/powder from the health food store, then there is no sugar or maltodextrin filler. It's all fiber.

It's also a lot cheaper than Metamucil or similar products. On the other hand, Metamucil products are much smoother texture ... plain psyllium is gritty :p

Doreen