Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Quick question: Atkin's Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=6012)

stsaleem Tue, May-29-01 11:04

Quick question: Atkin's Diet

I'm on my 8th day of the Atkin's diet and I am still none the wiser whether or not I can drink diet coke? Does anyone know?

Big thanks in advance

thin2be Tue, May-29-01 11:42

I've been drinking diet Pepsi, but I only lost 6 pounds when I started induction again - over 12 days. I reread my book, and think caffeine may be the culprit. It never affected me before, but... So, I would say try to caffeine free Diet Coke to be on the safe side. Good Luck!

225/163/145

tamarian Tue, May-29-01 12:16

Hi stsaleem, welcome to our forum.

It may very per person. Best thing to do is continue with your induction with out it, and see what results you get. Then you may experiment with diet drinks if you have to. Some prefer Splenda sweetened drink instead os Aspartame which is sued for diet coke. If you notice that introduction of those drinks stop your weight loss, simply remove them. We eventually discover how our bodies react to different variables, and each of us is different. :)

Wa'il

rainny Tue, May-29-01 12:46

I drink diet A&W root beer and limit it to one can a day. I also try to drink about 3 litters of water. I think it affects me…caffeine and nutria-sweet. Plus I worry about the side affects. So I limit it…and I heading to HEB tonight to pick up there diet drinks that are made with splenda. Its gotta taste better too! Ha!

Deirdre Tue, May-29-01 12:57

I think it depends on the person. I drank lots of diet coke while on induction and still lost lots of weight. I eventually switched to caffeine free , then sodium free diet cola. The caffeine didn't make any difference, but I think the sodium does. I do sleep a lot better without the caffeine though! I still drink a lot (2 liters a day) of caffeine free, sodium free diet cola and hardly any water. It works for me! It's just not something I'm willing to give up!

numberonewendy Wed, May-30-01 07:50

I was real bad with diet coke before this woe. Now I hardly even touch it. I seemed to just get turned off of it?

doreen T Wed, May-30-01 08:30

hi stsaleem, welcome aboard

From what I've read all over the web on the subject, it definitely is a YMMV thing (Your Mileage May Vary). On the subject of caffeine, the overwhelming evidence seems to be that it has little effect on successful weight loss, except for sensitive individuals. With diet soda pop, whatever the type - cola, ginger ale, etc - it appears the culprits may be the citric and/or phosphoric acid, NOT the caffeine. And aspartame/nutrasweet can be a staller for some.

For most lowcarbers, it seems that consuming diet colas in moderation is not a huge problem; switching to caffeine or sodium-free is certainly an option if you're concerned. My thought is ... if diet coke or pepsi or whatever is something you really enjoy, and having a glass or can of this will help stave off the craving for something else with tons of sugar in it ... my vote goes for the diet pop ..:) ... On the other hand, if you're sticking pretty close to your lowcarb plan, and you hit a stall ... maybe cut out the diet drinks for a couple weeks to see if things get moving again.

Best of luck; keep us posted

Doreen

thin2be Wed, May-30-01 09:09

Boy, Doreen, I hope that is the case. I'm having a hard time with even the THOUGHT of giving up my coffee...Maybe my problem last week was just getting close to "that time". It can really affect you. So, for now I'm keeping my coffee, and maybe a diet soda a day - and wish for the best.

225/161/145