Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Confused and need exercise advice PLEASE!! Thanks!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=59266)

Kendra Tue, Sep-03-02 09:08

Confused and need exercise advice PLEASE!! Thanks!!

A couple of years ago I had a membership to a gym. My goal was to be lean and tight all over. I explained this to the gym staff, got a few Personal trainer sessions and had a custom made program. Turns out my trainer wasn't listening to me when I explained what my goals were. :rolleyes: I followed it, it consisted of cardio and some weight training. I mean the whole things, squats, bicep, tricep, chest, inner/outer thighs, back, etc etc. :eek: I did this for a while, and decided to cut back on the weight training... why you ask ? :confused:

I found out that I have the body type that could have the potential to "bulk up" fairly easily through weight training, and even after I lessened the amount of weight, I was getting too muscular in certain areas (thighs, back). I wanted more of a feminine look, and did not want to look like a typical workout queen whose arms start looking more masculine (even though it hadn't reached that point I could tell it would if I continued) So I finally did cardio only, stairmasters, bikes, EFX, etc.. 5 times a week for about 30 mins. And I acheived what I wanted; longer, leanre muscles, no bulk. Especially becuase I am only 5'2" and do not want to look "stocky". ;) :confused:

I am now looking for a cardio machine that will give me those results in one machine, so I am liiking at different "all over" cardio machines. Any advice for me? Is it really nccry. to add weights to tone up? Has anyone had much success with the Tony Little "Gazelle" machine for basic cardio? :confused:

I want to burn up extra fat and tone up, that's it. Not looking for extrememly defined biceps or a six pack or anything. Can I acheive that through Cardio alone? And how much should I start out with? I haven't worked out for over a year now.

Thanks, :D
Kendra

128/124/110 is my goal
P.S. Sorry about all the smileys, I'm new to this forum and I thought they were so cute!

Big Dog Tue, Sep-03-02 11:34

a long time ago when i was in shape i used to do exensive cardio work in addition to weights. I spent lots of time on the bikes and steppers. Then one day the gym i belonged to bought a mountain climber. That think kicked my ass. It was a post set at a slight angle with hand holds and pedals, you used your arms and legs at the same time and could adjust the tension.

I dont know i they are still around (the gym I currently belong to doesnt have one) but they seemed liek they would give you a good total body workout.

Kendra Tue, Sep-03-02 12:35

Thank you!

Meg_S Tue, Sep-03-02 13:19

you might look into pilates-type exercises, they are supposed to make your muscles long and lean, instead of bulky, while giving you a great workout.

Meg